How To Replace Compressor & Recharge System - AC Pics!

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Thanks for this writeup!

I tried the envirosafe product for the second time and it's shocking at how much colder my ac is. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I went to a valvoline instant oil change and they recovered my old R134a for $20.
Then the dryer was replaced with a 4 seasons from Ebay, replaced lost Pag46 oil, a vacuum was pulled with the harbor freight unit for an hour, and then 1 can of industrial envirosafe and 1 can of the "air enhancer" was added.

I mostly used the enhancer because the volume of refrigerant between the 2 cans added up to an equivalent amount of 25oz of R134a, which worked out to be perfect for my system.

I also bought the Harbor Freight Manifold but the gauges were non-functional right out of the box. It turned out to be a non-issue as I just pulled a vacuum and filled directly from the low side port.

The AC is so, so, so, much colder. Running it in the driveway I started to get condensation on the outside of the windshield.

I wouldn't have messed with the AC at all except I damaged my condensor and had a slow leak. I had good results with the ES stuff before and it turns out to work perfectly in the Jetta.

I bought my cans direct from http://www.es-refrigerants.com/, but there is a $20 hazmat fee.

It's actually just cheaper to buy one or two cans from Ebay.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
I timed myself @ work today doing a compressor on a 03 GL Sedan. Not including the time for the A/C machine to recover the system, it took me 9 minutes to swap the compressor. Belt off, 2 16mm bolts, 2 allen bolts for the lines (5 or 6mm don't remember), pry the compressor out & bam. Nothing in the way, couldn't be easier. If I can do it anyone can.

(time doesn't include putting car in air & it did not have a bottom splash pan).

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Thanks for this writeup!

I tried the envirosafe product for the second time and it's shocking at how much colder my ac is. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I went to a valvoline instant oil change and they recovered my old R134a for $20.
Then the dryer was replaced with a 4 seasons from Ebay, replaced lost Pag46 oil, a vacuum was pulled with the harbor freight unit for an hour, and then 1 can of industrial envirosafe and 1 can of the "air enhancer" was added.

I mostly used the enhancer because the volume of refrigerant between the 2 cans added up to an equivalent amount of 25oz of R134a, which worked out to be perfect for my system.

I also bought the Harbor Freight Manifold but the gauges were non-functional right out of the box. It turned out to be a non-issue as I just pulled a vacuum and filled directly from the low side port.

The AC is so, so, so, much colder. Running it in the driveway I started to get condensation on the outside of the windshield.

I wouldn't have messed with the AC at all except I damaged my condensor and had a slow leak. I had good results with the ES stuff before and it turns out to work perfectly in the Jetta.

I bought my cans direct from http://www.es-refrigerants.com/, but there is a $20 hazmat fee.

It's actually just cheaper to buy one or two cans from Ebay.
Do you realize that you just put a can of propane in your AC system? One front impact and boom, huge fireball.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Do you realize that you just put a can of propane in your AC system? One front impact and boom, huge fireball.
I'm well aware that it's flammable, and to date I don't believe there have been any validated reports on AC systems splodin'.
I appreciate the fearmongering, but even with a significant leak 10 oz of propane isn't going to make a "huge fireball". Maybe if I split the car in half driving headlong into a snowplow?
I used it because I've had good results in the past, and I don't like releasing r134 into the atmosphere. With a hydrocarbon in the system, I can service my system fairly easily with minimal environmental impact.
Plus, the results are dramatic. I'd take the risk that a fender bender = mushroom cloud with an ac system this frosty.
FWIW when I want to mitigate all hazards associated with driving, I ride my bike:D.

Last edited:

wolfman

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Passat 2013 TDI SEL; Former - 1999 Jetta TDI, 1994 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD, 1983 Ford 6.9 IDI, 1986 Chevy 6.2 Diesel Pickup, VW Rabbit Diesel pickup
I am looking for these photos. Unfortunately when I updated my web site they were not archived; sorry

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
OP hasn't posted since 11/2006 IIRC. Not a good chance of him fixing it or it getting fixed at all. This is a good reason to use the tdiclub picture server. When people leave and erase/redo their off site gallery it kills the threads here for picture viewing.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
If found another AC compressor clutch removal link. Took the alternator out (BEW engine) and lifted the compressor up with clutch pointing somewhat up. Was able to remove clutch, now check my and friends VW Audi compressor stash to see if we have a suitable donor to steal the clutch from. My compressor is
SD7V16
Model 1233
1J0820803K
SANDEN Corporation

Hope it works this way.

TDI
2001 mk4 golf, 5-speed
Does no one have torque specs for the ac lines? I've scoured these forums and come up with nothing to tell me how tight the ac lines should be after replacing my compressor...

Please, any help is welcomed, even if it's a link to another post and a "shoulda looked harder".

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Usually it's not much. They're just aluminum. If you really want a torque spec, torque them to 10-15ftlbs. Doesn't take much. Also note, not official torque spec, but have yet to have an ac line fall off with ye ol calibrated elbow.