How to fill with AdBlue?

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Does the A3 TDI need the special dealer bottle to refill the urea tank? I had a loaner A3 TDI on the weekend and got a warning that it needed AdBlue or would not be able to start in 600 miles. I tried adding some AdBlue from a pump, but whatever I pumped in just came back out the filler hole without going down into the tank. I checked the manual and it said the special Audi bottle must be inserted and twisted clockwise to open the access port. Is this the only way to fill the tank? I find that incredibly annoying.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I think the best thing to do is to tell the dealer and see how they want resolve the issue.

No doubt the AdBlue "cartridge bottle" makes it easier. BUT on two DEF diesels ( of mine) the cheap provided spouts on 2.5 gal DEF containers work just fine. You may not have inserted the pump head deep enough.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The KRUSE bottles allow the air to come out while DEF goes it without all the burping and splashing. Or fill slower from the bigger bottles.

Yes there is a special tool to fill the AdBlue tank, but it is not required. It just makes it easier without all the mess.

But I digress - if its a loaner I would just take in back in for them to fill it.

Jason

seftonm

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
So just go really slow and it should work? We stuck the nozzle in as far as it would go without much luck. At any rate, we made it back to the dropoff garage, but it was pretty worrisome getting this warning on a Sunday afternoon, 800 miles from our destination and the car saying 600 miles until empty. Wish they would have made it as simple as it is to pump fuel into the fuel tank.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just a note - it won't shut off when the AdBlue is empty, but it won't start again if you shut it off.

And I'm not positive about the Audi, but for VW there is no reason to stick the nozzle down as far as you can. That may have even made it worse. The filler is just a round tube with a cap on it, and the air is fighting back out the same hole you are putting Adblue in.

Jason