Where to buy performance turbo for ALH?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stage 2 daily should be OK. And it drives a bit smoother than the Endurance. I've had both in my car and prefer the daily, although I'm making less power than your target.

In retrospect at this level of power the expense of the PD150 intake and MAF probably aren't worth it. A good OMI would help, however. If you want to spend more $$ I'd look for an 11mm pump. VNT-17, 11mm pump, PP520s, RC4, 2.5" downpipe is a wonderful sweet spot for this engine.

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
Indigo Thanks for the response. I do want to leave myself some head room i.e. bigger injectors and just have jeff cut the fuel back a bit. Most likely Chris Hill will do the work. I'm trying to wrap my head a round a good parts list that will get me a strong 180hp or so allowing me to have a somewhat intelligent convo with him...... And hope to keep the rods in it for a bit ;)

I saw you guys have 11mm pumps but required an 11mm core. Bummer

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jeff at Rocketchip says that three things bend rods: Fuel, boost, and revs. If you keep boost under 25 PSI you're OK there. And if you don't over-fuel (764s and 10mm is probably a good limit) that should be OK. What probably did my rods in was the 6000 RPM tune and using it constantly at the track.

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
Indigo - haha I feel a little better now :D

Nevada - thanks for the link, those prices look pretty good

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'd say revs actually want to straighten rods because of the tensile mass forces. :D

It's actually fuel, boost (at the associated CR) and injection timing advance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
You and Jeff agree. Jeff said revs, but he explained that the timing advance required for high RPMs in a diesel causes stresses because of how far before TDC injection can occur.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I don't think you'll get much over 200 HP out of a 17/22. My car made 185 with one (conservative dyno) with appropriate supporting breathing and fueling mods, running 26 PSI. I also eventually bent all 4 rods.
So far I haven't bent any of my rods in the 8+ years I've had my 17/22. But I've only achieved around 165 HP and I'm sure that I don't pound on the accelerator like IBW has on his ALH.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Jeff just installed a Stage 4 (24psi) tune on my Golf. My reputed .215 nozzles, claimed to be Italian, are tapped out at 1.8IQ, no smoke. Car's running so nice, that I won't bother trying for more power with some bigger nozzles. No dyno numbers, I don't need any, my butt says ooooh, this is good!

For longevity and reliability I'll leave it alone.
No FE numbers yet, though I'm hoping for 40 around town keeping my foot out of it. Lol, it doesn't take much foot to get her going.
No intake or intercooler mods, I'm happy now with the performance
for the money I've got in it. I did spend on the suspension and an LSD. Eventually I may go for a Franko6 cam, but he assures me I don't need that for another 50k.

My take is too many people spend too much on power, and not enough on keeping the rubber on the road. The Peloquin is one
of the best mods I've done for transforming the handling and driveability of the car. Coupled with a heavier front swaybar and
a top strut brace, it powers through the country roads around here
flat and predictable. Stock bushings, my guru is dead against poly,
his take is you need some give, otherwise you start breaking stuff.
The roads in PA are lousy BTW, lots of lumps and bumps, and the occassional gravel/dirt if you start getting in to the hinterlands.

I'll be tweaking my 5th gear, a .717, the current .658 is really a bit tall
for the 17/22. Worked fine with the stock VNT15, but for highway and towing I could use a bit more grunt lower down. It'd be nice if we had 80mph speed limits, but I doubt that'll happen here in the Northeast.

My $.02,
R*2