2018 Chevy Cruze road test

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Makes me want one:
"The automatic’s nine-speed gearbox is also a joyless chaperone when it comes to having a good time. It will very quickly upshift out of a gear for the sake of efficiency and there’s no way to manually override it. If you’re not still discouraged by the time you encounter a windy road, the handling isn’t very inspiring. At the end of the day, any backroads that offered an opportunity to break up the sightseeing with a little gusto just went to waste."

Looks like Chevy has a little "polishing" to do........................

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Let Chevy "stick it to me" with a stick. Let's see............................Ah no.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Before I knew any better I was a die hard Chevy fan. Chevy certainly did their part in curing me of that notion. They do seem to worry more about marketing than actually building an intelligently designed reliable product.

"JD Powers Best New Cars in Initial Quality"

What kind of a bogus award is that? Harbor Freight Chinese air tools could probably win that award.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Before I knew any better I was a die hard Chevy fan. Chevy certainly did their part in curing me of that notion. They do seem to worry more about marketing than actually building an intelligently designed reliable product.

"JD Powers Best New Cars in Initial Quality"

What kind of a bogus award is that? Harbor Freight Chinese air tools could probably win that award.
All that means to me is that parts don't fall off until it's off the dealers lot . . . :) :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
And that's one of the things I hate about Chevy. They assume that their customers are really stupid. I would imagine when they do the casting for their commercials, that being really stupid is a requirement for being considered.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've driven a manual Cruze sedan. It was good enough that I'd consider one, had I not been able to snag a new '15 GSW earlier this year. "DSG a joyless chaperone," and "handling is uninspiring"? Honestly, you could say the same thing about a MKVII Golf DSG. A tune fixes the transmission problems, however. And the handling can be cleaned up, too. But stock non GTI VWs aren't the most exciting back road companions.