2002 Golf 4 door TDI into a 2000 Golf 2 door gas

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

Unfortunately one of my 2002 Golf TDIs is totaled. I bought the car from the original owner and it only has 165,000 miles on it. Last month I picked up a very nice 2000 Golf 2 door (gas) with a manual transmission. Body is in great shape, interior can be cleaned up to be nice. Motor has a hole in the block where it threw a rod.

I think I'm going to attempt swapping the ALH from the 2002 in to the 2000. The 2002 has an automatic, but I have a TDI manual trans from when I switched my Beetle to a 6 speed. The 2000 has a manual, so clutch pedal is already there. Both have manual windows. Taking a quick look at the engine harness, I think I only need to pull the ECU harness from the TDI and swap it with the gas harness? I've got to check where the glow plug harness is as I cut that off for one of my other TDIs. I'll also have to switch the "gas" pedal as the 2000 is not drive by wire. I'll also have to look at the gas tank/fuel lines on the 2000 and swap them with the 2002 if needed.

For those of you that have done this, is there anything I need to separate out from the ABS/fuse panel harness? I'm sure I'll have to check relays and what not.

We'll see how this goes.........

Eric