Managing a sooty tailpipe

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Managing a sooty tailpipe Waiting for P0401

Updated several times in 2016 and 2017.

2009 to 2014 TDI Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) have been identified as sometimes cracking, which allows soot to bypass the filter. When this happens and soot enters and fills up the low pressure exhaust gas recirculate (EGR) filter, which will cause a P0401 error to be logged. VW has issued a TSB which describes checks for soot in the EGR filter upon a P0401 error. The TSB states that P0401 error, and soot in the connection between DPF and LP EGR filter calls for replacement of the DPF and EGR filter.

part of the TSB:

The P0401 may also be caused by high pressure EGR issues, but soot in the tailpipe is a good sign the issue is low pressure EGR.

Below is the result inside the low pressure EGR filter. the screen becomes covered in soot which comes through a damaged DPF.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5136097&postcount=241 (photo credit)

The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is the only component in the exhaust treatment capable of blocking soot. If there is any soot in the end of the tailpipe, it follows that soot would also be noted at the input to the Low Pressure EGR filter as referenced in the TSB.

Further isolation of a P0401 error can be done by running Basic settings. (003, 067, 078) (on the engine controller, using VCDS)
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/b-settings.php

These errors may start intermittently, and a VCDS scan will show the recorded errors. The engine controller can be checked for errors using VCDS. the error log includes freeze frame data recorded when the error is noted. As additional errors are noted, the information is updated, including a count (frequency). These errors are also noted and reported by the OBD-II functions. VCDS will let you read these as well.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.html

When a P0401 error occurs, it also can be seen in the OBD as a pending code. if the next time the check is run, the code repeats, it is recorded as a current DTC, and the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp, aka check engine) is lit up, notifying the driver that there is a problem. The OBD readiness screen will note the recorded error, and if the MIL is on or not. It is not unusual for these errors to begin once in a while, and for the MIL to go away on its own, after some driving.

Always a good idea to follow up any MIL to find out what caused it. Most errors stay recorded for reference, even if the MIL goes out

Properly functioning, intact DPF will capture all the soot, and the tailpipe will be clean. There a few of us who have tailpipes which are not so clean, and a wipe with a paper towel reveals black soot.

I have a tailpipe that is a little sooty, but started with no P0401 errors recorded. I have procured a used replacement DOC/DPF, NOX cat, and egr filter, but want to wait to see if it will be needed. After I picked these up, the whole tdi emissions cheat came up, I may only have a spare DOC/DPF, since the anticipated "fix" seems to include a new design NOX cat, EGR filter, and exhaust flap. since my 2009 DPF is part of the same unit with the NOX cat, my hope is that the "fix" will include a DOC/DPF.

Seems like I put over 40,000 miles on my car between first noting some soot and seeing the first P0401 error. As of May 2016, I had over 30,000 miles with some soot in the pipe, but no errors. Life is good.

October 2016, just went over 180,000 miles, so call it 40,000 miles with some crackage in my DPF, and occasional P0401 errors.

April 2017, went over 200,000 miles on the car. MIL comes and goes (P0401). still able to clear codes and drive to get a clear emissions screen.

I am looking for history from other cars of clean or sooty tailpipes, including mileage of observed conditions.

My goal in starting this post was to see if there is other info which can be used to predict how long one could drive with a slightly sooty tailpipe, before having trouble passing emissions inspection. With some help from other TDIclub members, was able to find a path through the fog and understand how Basic settings data can provide insight into how the car systems are working, and narrow in on what separates conditions that throw a P0401 error from those which do not.

Fault codes (including the P0401) can be obtained via VCDS auto-scan http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html
or from the fault code screen which is available in the engine controller screen.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4871094&postcount=19 describes basic settings EGR check (basic settings 003 is the high pressure EGR. HP EGR issues can also cause the P0401 error, but are not related to a cracked DPF or LP EGR).

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4895896&postcount=64 Matt shared a couple checksheets related to DPF health

Basic Settings 67 will exercise the Low Pressure EGR valve. this is available on the VCDS pull down list.

Basic Settings 78 will increase idle speed for a read of the LP EGR pressure. It is not on the pull down, but you can enter 78 in the Basic settings screen.
VCDS and the controller inside the car will only run a single basic setting at a time; you have to back out of basic settings and then come back to run another one.

Here is a plot of collected data from Basic settings 78 on several cars. (PM me if you want a copy of the spreadsheet with all the data)
I used excel to create a spreadsheet populated with data collected from my car and from other members who shared data from their cars. Figures below are from excel, with some image manipulation to add notes and lines, where I thought they were helpful.

Data point colors identify a specific car. Guess is that readings to the right of the diagonal line indicate too much pressure across the low pressure EGR filter, and likely MIL (check engine light) illuminated, and P0401 error from cracked DPF. Readings to the left of that line seem ok. Close to the line, and you might get an error logged once in a while without the MIL.

More details related to this chart http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5007471&postcount=195

2016/09/21 update: based on my recent data, the good/bad line in the above figure is a bit more to the right, something like 120mbar at 200 degrees.

2016/11/21 update: next figure shows data from November. I now have been watching the P0401 error come and go on my car, and see a little more clearly where the line is between acceptable egr pressure and pressure high enough to cause the P0401 error. It is difficult to exactly match a P0401 error (which is captured while in motion) with Basic settings 78 data (which can only run with the car in park). But I can identify the data with recent updates to the P0401 error freeze frame data, or lack of increments. Seems no way to record tests of whatever throws the P0401 when it does not register the error, but this results in the dropping of a "pending" OBD code.

Data points to the lower right of my hand drawn line in the figure below are captured shortly after an increase in the "frequency" value logged P0401 error, and when the OBD shows a pending code. I saw the MIL come on for part of a road trip to Michigan, but it was extinguished by the time I hooked up the VCDS.

This chart includes BS 78 data from my car, during the full month of November 2016.

Points colored red are close to failed computer checks that log a P0401 error (or increase the P0401 error 'frequency' count)
Numbers close to data points are the day of the month the data was logged. (note that the month started and ended with BS 78 checks far into the "good" range)

If you would like to add data to this discussion, some info which could help follow (ok to post as much or as little as you like):
Model year of your car:
Tailpipe condition: [clean, little soot, massive soot]
Odometer miles:
Codes recorded: [P0401, other?]
MIL?: [yes, no]

Basic settings 003 High pressure EGR Valve:
EGR Spec OFF/99% duty cycle/EGR (actual): [value in mg/str]
EGR Spec ON/60% duty cycle/EGR (actual): [value in mg/str]
OFF - On: [difference in mg/str]

Basic settings 067 Low pressure EGR valve:
On/40%: [value in mg/str]
Off/100%: [value in mg/str]
Off - On : [difference in mg/str]

Basic settings 078 (low pressure EGR) as the others, press on/off/next and note increased RPM
78-1 mbar:
78-2 %?:
78-3 mbar(offset):
78-4 Degrees C:
9/21/15 *******************NOTE: skip to post #54 or later before any data collection. the 03 measuring block collected in the EGR basic settings is high pressure EGR, not the Low pressure which is prone to clogging from a clogged DPF.

1/15/16. updated this post to reflect a little more learned. this is very much a learn on the way kind of discussion, with a few stops along the way for side discussions..

2/14/2016 added basic settings 78 chart, and TSB section.

5/7/2016 update. my pipe is still a little sooty, but no P0401 errors. couple weeks ago, passed VA pre-registration emissions check.

9/17/2016 update. Earlier this month I was greeted with an MIL, and the P0401 error. cleared codes and watched them come back. I logged quite a few entries and data, and verified that P0401 errors can build up in the engine controller without getting more than an occasional pending code in the OBD emissions reporting. As of today, I see 8 instances of the P0401 code logged since I reset the codes 9 days ago (includes a turnpike/freeway drive from MI to VA and a weeks worth of ten mile commutes) no pending emission codes or failures which would prevent passing obd emissions inspection. since the reset, there are several times which checks revealed pending emissions codes and the P0401.

4/8/2017 update: went over 200,000 miles. still watching the error come and go, while waiting for the emissions "fix" from VW.

Last edited:

TDIpilot4u

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
2010 Jetta TDI CJAA
Tailpipe condition: Little soot
Odometer miles: 99500
Codes recorded [P0401, other?]: None yet
MIL? No
First noticed light soot in my tailpipe within the past 1,000 miles or so. Did have a new EGR tube and software update happen at 96000 miles (April 2015), and the tailpipe was mostly clean from what I remember. Not sure if that is related at all, but curious to see oilhammer's thoughts when I bring mine into him for 100K service. I too am planning for the worst.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
2009 Jetta TDI
moderate soot (more than a little)
121,000 on ODO
P0401
MIL is on...again
Hey Mike,
thanks for bringing attention to this again.
My mechanic cleared P0401 2 weeks ago by changing EGR filter with a new one I purchased, drove over 500 miles with MIL cleared but it returned back again this morning.
Had a hunch buying that new EGR filter was a band-aid fix, dealer told me I needed a new two piece at my last oil change on 5-1-2015 @ 116K miles due to their VCDS indicating high ash reading (I do not have the reading nor access to VCDS)
5K miles and 3 1/2 months later car still runs the same, DPF is cracked. Very expensive fix, cannot delete due to NJ laws. May have to visit VW dealers in my area for a trade, never in my lifetime of owning 7 cars (3 VWS and 4 non-VW family cars) in 25 years of driving have I been quoted 5-6K repair bill.
I am on vacation next 7 days and will be driving around VW dealers and checking their lots. Not right for me to dump it on an unsuspecting buyer, VW deserves it back. I am very close to giving up on this TDI. A $3000 minimum fix even if I buy used parts.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
A Po401 is a failed DPF 100% of the time.

You can install a new DPF and EGR filter reset all basic settings and adaptions .
Try cleaning the DPF but you have no way of knowing if it is cracked so soot will show up again.

Go the DPR delete path

Or go my path for a long term band-aid I build and I am testing a redesigned EGR filter test kit to hold back the P0401 code of death for a very long time. This gives you some time to do any of the above.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG

You can install a new DPF and EGR filter reset all basic settings and adaptions .
Try cleaning the DPF but you have no way of knowing if it is cracked so soot will show up again.

Go the DPR delete path

Or go my path for a long term band-aid I build and I am testing a redesigned EGR filter test kit to hold back the P0401 code of death for a very long time. This gives you some time to do any of the above.
I have mild soot in my tailpipe and the P0401 code. I took it to the dealer, they said they did the swipe test and it came back clean - they said it wasn't a cracked DPF, rather a cracked EGR pipe (not covered under warranty). I didn't get it fixed, check engine light comes on every few weeks, then goes out again for a bit. Haven't noticed any real changes to driving conditions.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
2010 Jetta tdi
Mildly sooty
P0401 code cleared and came back
60,021 miles
Going to dealer next Tuesday

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Go the DPR delete path

I am kind of hoping that we can get an idea of how long a slightly sooty tailpipe can go without setting a P0401 code, and then how long till you see intermittent codes, and perhaps see a MIL once in a while, and then till it is solid.

on your filter/test kit, are you publishing price and details?

do you have other VCDS readings which would indicate an almost-P0401 code condition?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and on my 2009 JSW,

Tailpipe condition [little soot] I get soot if I wipe the inside of the pipe with a paper towel, but the bumper stays clean.
Odometer miles 145k (review of photos of exhaust flap R&R show some soot at 135k)
Codes recorded None from the engine controller
MIL? NO

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
I have been tesing all summer on a few known craked DPFs one is my wifes witch it would set a P0401 every 4 days with a new EGR filter. With my new test EGR filter we have run it all summer no codes and have been testing a very strong TDTUNING with a new DSG tune as well.
For a P0401 to set it has threshold setting in VCDS on basic settings I think its 100mss something. What it is looking for is a pressure drop from the DPF to the other side of the EGR filter. If is is below the 100 something it will set a P0401 very soon. I will bring it to the TDIFest to show.

I am kind of hoping that we can get an idea of how long a slightly sooty tailpipe can go without setting a P0401 code, and then how long till you see intermittent codes, and perhaps see a MIL once in a while, and then till it is solid.

on your filter/test kit, are you publishing price and details?

do you have other VCDS readings which would indicate an almost-P0401 code condition?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
CNGVW so it took just four Days to clog a new virgin filter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Hey Wilcharl
I think the MIL is lighting for several reasons. I do not think the EGR filter can become clogged that quickly because I just had mine changed and the MIL reappeared after about 500 miles or 2 weeks of driving.
When I asked the mechanic at VW dealer what's going on his response was it's the DPF that's causing it. We all hope for a cheaper fix (I did) only to get back to the same problem P0401.
My speculation is the whole one piece system on the 2009 is being messed up due to the DPF. The DPF is either a flawed design or unable to do its job properly thereby causing catastrophic failure to it's related components, sensors, etc.
Everything is "in the design". I am no mechanic or engineer and I marvel and commend VW for trying to do its part by making this 2009 Green Car of the year winner. It gets 50 mpgs still to this day easily if I tried but I have a lead foot and use the engine power to try and burn this soot by generating extra heat, something I'm hoping could help the regens, extra heat versus cold and hyper miling.
My experience with my two prior VWs is if you ride it like its anemic the turbo hates it and will let you know thru sensors which who knows how many there are. My 2001 Passat 1.8T ran better when I drove it aggressively. When I hyper miled on that Passat I had more problems. TurboDiesel, I think how you drive it can affect the cars health but that's just my take.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have been tesing all summer on a few known craked DPFs one is my wifes witch it would set a P0401 every 4 days with a new EGR filter. With my new test EGR filter we have run it all summer no codes and have been testing a very strong TDTUNING with a new DSG tune as well.
For a P0401 to set it has threshold setting in VCDS on basic settings I think its 100mss something. What it is looking for is a pressure drop from the DPF to the other side of the EGR filter. If is is below the 100 something it will set a P0401 very soon. I will bring it to the TDIFest to show.
any more info on where this reading is? is there a passive read, or do you have to run the active basic setting to see?

is the engine controller MB 03 related to the HP or LP EGR?

(would the P0401 be set by a mismatch between the specified and actual mg/str?)

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
CNGVW very creative. My question would be if the DPF is cracked internally and is the culprit with these sooty tailpipes, is your band-aid fix going to be able to solve the problem of the DPF becoming clogged and cracked ?

My concern would be soot working it's way into the engine. Nobody wants to pay thousands on a new DPF and set up but can your invention guarantee no soot to pass through to the engine ?

The DPF is the reason for these problems. Fixing that is the key although the regens still appear to take place. It's a disaster that still runs but by the DPF allowing the soot to pass and work it's way to critical components like the NoX and H2S cats and out to a visible sooty tailpipe is a recipe for disaster. The DPF was poorly designed and that's why they changed it for 2010.

It's an awesome engine, thanks man.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the EGR clog does not cause the DPF to crack, it is the other way around.

a crack in the DPF will allow some of the soot which should be captured in the DPF and converted, to instead get past the DPF.

some of this exits the tailpipe, after contaminating the two cats and exhaust flap valve, and some of the soot gets pulled into the low pressure EGR system, where the VW engineers put a filter that catches the soot. if there is too much, it throws a P0401 error; too many of these errors, and a MIL is lit....

Looking forward to seeing more details of Bob's alternative for the EGR filter at the fest!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
EGR filter band aid fix

Yes, the DPF cracking and clogging is the reason for the EGR filter to clog. Would of been great to go to the TDI fest and check out Bob's invention. I wasted money on an EGR filter which actually held off the P0401, as Bob said. My P0401 was diagnosed as intermittent but I did get a second DPF light with a warning saying "DPF see instructions" in the instrument cluster once.
I was going to drive around with P0401 and wait till inspection for EGR filter change which MAY be able to get the state inspection pass.
Anyway, if the DPF is cracked and getting clogged I don't think the invention could delay the install of a new DPF. If it's messed up for how much longer can you drive around without having to worry about replacing the DPF, a big job I'm glad I got done. The VW mechanic did assure me the DPF crack does not get soot into the engine so that was good to hear. Just hope this 2010 setup holds because even 2010 owners are reporting problems, would never want to revisit this issue again.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so I followed up today with a little exploration with my VCDS.

ran basic settings on the EGR.

the instructions say engine has to be on, and then you pick on/off/next button, then press the brake and accelerator at the same time. ( I did so, but only till the tach was a around 2400)

this test cycles EGR between just under 100% and 60%, and the note says the mass flow per stroke needs to differ by at least 100 mg/str.

I saw 500 and 360. (so a difference of 140 mg/str) the values bounce around a bit.

would be interested in values other folks see, with and without that P0401 error and a sooty pipe.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First open up the engine controller, then select basic settings

there is a pull down menu to use to pick the Exhaust Gas Recirculation(EGR)

when you do so, the following screen comes up.

note the text (prerequisites....). you can see my engine was idling. In this screen, the exhaust gas recirc(Spec) and exhaust gas recirc(actual) should track and be close to each other. My car was also warmed up to operating temperature after a drive.

I pressed the on/off/next button, then pressed brake and accelerator pedal (not sure you really need to press the brake and accelerator)

(the computer controls the rpm, but just wants to verify you are at the wheel, and ready for the test)

The glow plug indicator on the instrument panel flashes while this test is under way.

the next two screens show values with the EGR commanded off ,and then on. the ecu controls the back and forth, till you close the window or press on/off/next again.

the values bounce around a bit. you can log the data while the basic settings are toggling the EGR between on and off, then pick a range of values to share.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I can see this subject becoming an unofficial tech session at TDIFest.

... or perhaps I can find time in the schedule to add it.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We may end up looking a bit like dogs, sniffing around each other's tailpipes.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really would be interested if other folks would be willing to run this basic setting and share the results.

I looked for an easy way to record the results, but it does not look like VCDS wants to record data while running the operation. (probably a good idea not to muck with the unit while it is busy running a program built into the module)

so TDIclub users would have to write down the numbers and post.

Thanks in advance

S

SmokeyPete

Hey Bob,

I will be at the TDIFest and would love to hear more about this new filter project. My first DPF failed in Sept 2014 and is now sitting in my trunk. Just last week I started seeing a P0401 code after only 11 months since a replacement. Perhaps I would make a good Beta tester since I work in Somerville and live out near Worcester MA.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can see this subject becoming an unofficial tech session at TDIFest.

... or perhaps I can find time in the schedule to add it.
perhaps next year.

by then a few more folks may have the chance to look at the values on cars with sooty pipes (and originial equipment)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Bob brought these to show at the 2015 TDI Fest.

he also verified that the process to read the low pressure EGR is correct.

today I updated my values and got 380 and 510, or a difference or around 130mg/str,

at 151k miles, car warmed up after the afternoon commute.

I need a little better record keeping, since I do not have a firm odometer reading tied to this value. but it looks like the difference is getting closer to the 100 mg/str limit.

no errors logged in the engine controller from an auto-scan. (sooner or later the P0401 should show up)

Last edited:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I'm even more curious about Bob's set up . is that one of his modified filters? You can really see how toast the DPF is!

As soon as I get my Windows laptop working again I will pull my numbers with VCDS

CNGVW

TDI
The burning at the top is from me cutting open the DPF with my plasma cuter .
The thing to look at is the long crack from left to right. and you can see how the soot migrates across it on the small piece.
Yes that is one of my EGR/test filters I gave to TDIclub to raffle off to raise money. I set a cost of $350 plus plus a exchange fee if they do not send the old one back.

Bob brought these to show at the 2015 TDI Fest.

he also verified that the process to read the low pressure EGR is correct.

today I updated my values and got 380 and 510, or a difference or around 130mg/str,

at 151k miles, car warmed up after the afternoon commute.

I need a little better record keeping, since I do not have a firm odometer reading tied to this value. but it looks like the difference is getting closer to the 100 mg/str limit.

no errors logged in the engine controller from an auto-scan. (sooner or later the P0401 should show up)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So an updated summary of what I have seen:

Tailpipe condition little soot
Odometer miles 145-147k
Codes recorded none
MIL? no
Basic settings EGR:
EGR Spec OFF/99% duty cycle/EGR (actual) [505 mg/str]
EGR Spec ON/60% duty cycle/EGR (actual) [375 mg/str]
OFF - On [140 mg/str]

Tailpipe condition: little soot
Odometer miles 151k
Codes recorded None
MIL? [no]
Basic settings EGR:
EGR Spec OFF/99% duty cycle/EGR (actual) [510 mg/str]
EGR Spec ON/60% duty cycle/EGR (actual) [380 mg/str]
OFF - On [130 mg/str]

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I doubt any DPF cleaning services can get that thing cleaned up.

Some concerns: to prevent future problems with my new DPF is there anything VW owners can do ?

Such as avoid short errand driving, use of specific fuel or oil additives ?

What are some hypotheses on why they're cracking ?

Thanks

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
So... Got VCDS working tonight.

I do not have the latest version and was out of wifi range to download it.

When I went into EGR under basic settings, the flashing glow plug light came on and freaked me out. I did a full scan after that and there were no codes..

Not sure what the flashing glow plug light came on for other then opening the controller but it scared the heck out of me

So here is what I got...

When i pressed the gas and the brake together I got

Tried it a few more times and opened the graph up and got this and this

Not sure what the error was about or if I was just not doing it right or if it was the old version of VCDS....

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
Quick update!

It doesn't work with the older (14.x) version of VCDS and the flashing glow plug light scared me to death!

Worked fine with the newest version

Here are my numbers!