Factory O.E.M. Euro Trailer hitch MK 5 & 6

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The airbags were 80 bucks shipped from amazon. They go inside of the springs.

AIR LIFT 60818 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMVCIC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Idj2xbAM8T5MB

They most likely won't have bags for yiur car as they didn't for mine and others, but simply just measure the inside demension of the springs. The diameter and the height and call up customer service. They will then tell you which part number will fit.
It is a very easy install. You remove the wheels. Drop the lower control arm. Slide the bag in with the brass nipple facing down. Route your air tubing so it doesn't kink and either tap it into the trunk area for easy fill, or tap it into the plastic undercarriage. They sell a version with a compressor that provides constant air pressure. That's a nice feature but I opted against it for me it was easy enough to just fill manually as needed.
The lowest amount of air you keep in it after installing is 7 psi. That's enough so that the bags don't get crushed or deformed. Off the top of my head the max PSI on the bags is 40psi. At 40 psi I can stand on the hitch and the car doesn't even budge! I'm 275lbs.
I didn't know you were towing on the mk4. I can't speak to it in terms of how it pulls. I imagine that it is stock in terms of engine? The mk6 pulled total payload of 2500lb like nothing. Then again it has a significant advantage in power. I'd imagine the mk4 will be able to pull it. You might find yourself downshifting more often though. I know from driving both however, that the mk4 has a nicer 1st gear. A lot taller it seems like. At least from my memory.

I think that there is someone on this forum that tows with the dsg at loads similar to what you want to do. And if I'm not mistaken, they claim no issues. But I can't speak for them. I'm in a 6 speed.

The conversion wires will work for your mk4. You just have to make sure you order the right kit from pfjones for the trailer electrics for your model car.
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
This is what the car would look like before I installed the bags. This was a 6x12 v nose that I purchased. The guy that I bought it from had heavy custom shelving in the front. The trailer tongue weight unloaded was 120 and I'd imagine the shelves were over 100 lbs and I have a bunch of random crap in the trunk.

This is with rhe bags installed and inflated

Not the best pics but if you zoom in you can see the huge difference in wheel gap.

These were the shelves installed inside of the trailer that weighed a bit

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
The airbags were 80 bucks shipped from amazon. They go inside of the springs.

AIR LIFT 60818 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OMVCIC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_Idj2xbAM8T5MB

They most likely won't have bags for yiur car as they didn't for mine and others, but simply just measure the inside demension of the springs. The diameter and the height and call up customer service. They will then tell you which part number will fit.
It is a very easy install. You remove the wheels. Drop the lower control arm. Slide the bag in with the brass nipple facing down. Route your air tubing so it doesn't kink and either tap it into the trunk area for easy fill, or tap it into the plastic undercarriage. They sell a version with a compressor that provides constant air pressure. That's a nice feature but I opted against it for me it was easy enough to just fill manually as needed.
The lowest amount of air you keep in it after installing is 7 psi. That's enough so that the bags don't get crushed or deformed. Off the top of my head the max PSI on the bags is 40psi. At 40 psi I can stand on the hitch and the car doesn't even budge! I'm 275lbs.
I didn't know you were towing on the mk4. I can't speak to it in terms of how it pulls. I imagine that it is stock in terms of engine? The mk6 pulled total payload of 2500lb like nothing. Then again it has a significant advantage in power. I'd imagine the mk4 will be able to pull it. You might find yourself downshifting more often though. I know from driving both however, that the mk4 has a nicer 1st gear. A lot taller it seems like. At least from my memory.

I think that there is someone on this forum that tows with the dsg at loads similar to what you want to do. And if I'm not mistaken, they claim no issues. But I can't speak for them. I'm in a 6 speed.

The conversion wires will work for your mk4. You just have to make sure you order the right kit from pfjones for the trailer electrics for your model car.
Okay, thanks. Yup, nothing stock about my Mk4. Has all the goodies in my signature, plus I put in towing springs and changed all of the suspension except front springs and control arms (as they were replaced by the PO about 1-2 years ago), along with putting in the TT LCA bushings. When I bought the car, bone stock, cruise control would drop 3-4mph and then try to catch up. Since upgrades, I don't have this problem anymore, and it pulls pretty nicely. Of course my CR has more power (193whp/311lb ft), but the Mk4 is supposed to put out 157whp/304lb ft, according to Malone's baseline for my setup. Also upgraded the clutch to a Stage 2. I keep hearing from a lot of people that you do not want to tow with a DSG.

I don't suppose you're tall? I'm 40 pounds behind you, but I need to lose some of it. I never noticed much if the car dips down a lot if I sit on the rear of it.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Okay, thanks. Yup, nothing stock about my Mk4. Has all the goodies in my signature, plus I put in towing springs and changed all of the suspension except front springs and control arms (as they were replaced by the PO about 1-2 years ago), along with putting in the TT LCA bushings. When I bought the car, bone stock, cruise control would drop 3-4mph and then try to catch up. Since upgrades, I don't have this problem anymore, and it pulls pretty nicely. Of course my CR has more power (193whp/311lb ft), but the Mk4 is supposed to put out 157whp/304lb ft, according to Malone's baseline for my setup. Also upgraded the clutch to a Stage 2. I keep hearing from a lot of people that you do not want to tow with a DSG.

I don't suppose you're tall? I'm 40 pounds behind you, but I need to lose some of it. I never noticed much if the car dips down a lot if I sit on the rear of it.
Yea I'm on Tapatalk and it doesn't show your signature on this app.
Sounds like your mk4 is more than prepared to pull! Your tune puts out more than thr stock CR and I'm at stock.
Yes I am tall. 6'4" it doesn't drop a lot but it literally does not budge with the bags inflated.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Hopefully someone still sees this thread. So I read through it again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need one of these wiring kits here, right?
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars-...-kits/volkswagen-golf-towbar-wiring-kits.html

Apparently, there's nowhere to tap off of for the trigger wire on my Tekonsha P3 (making this install much harder than my Mk4 Golf). In another issue, and I don't know if it's related to connecting a trailer light converter from Hopkins, but it appears the coding for my lights is all screwed up. When I turn my Euro switch to DRL, front and rear fogs, instead of the rear fogs coming up, I'm getting my front headlights. The middle lamps in the rear don't work, and I don't get rear fogs or reverse lights, either. Turn and brake do work, but brake/tail is combined (which means no trailer lighting converter for the time being anyways).

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hopefully someone still sees this thread. So I read through it again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll need one of these wiring kits here, right?
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars-...-kits/volkswagen-golf-towbar-wiring-kits.html

Apparently, there's nowhere to tap off of for the trigger wire on my Tekonsha P3 (making this install much harder than my Mk4 Golf). In another issue, and I don't know if it's related to connecting a trailer light converter from Hopkins, but it appears the coding for my lights is all screwed up. When I turn my Euro switch to DRL, front and rear fogs, instead of the rear fogs coming up, I'm getting my front headlights. The middle lamps in the rear don't work, and I don't get rear fogs or reverse lights, either. Turn and brake do work, but brake/tail is combined (which means no trailer lighting converter for the time being anyways).
Right on the tow module is the input for the trailer brake

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk