Hot Shot's Secret?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Personally, I'll wait a couple of years and see how this products does in the long run. In the meantime, I'll continue to use the industry leading Power Service products that I have relied upon for decades....
Two Guys Garage has become little more than an infomercial, dangit.

Bill

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Rule of thumb: Any product with the word "secret" in its name is likely snake oil.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
If I see it somewhere, I'll give it a try and see how it compares to the usual mainstream multipurpose additives.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
From the MSDS, it looks like diesel with a slight bit of solvent and cetane improver in it.

2-ETHYLHEXLY NITRATE is made by Lubrizol (and probably others) for cetane improvement.

dubidoobs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 "Facelifted" JSW 6MT | 04/2010 Build Date
I figured...I've been satisfied with PS and wanted to know if anyone's tried their stuff yet.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Snake oil flavor of the week. Why do folks respond to this kind of advertising? Guess the same thing has been going on for centuries...

Mdub707

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well this is another one similar to the rev-x that actually works on HEUI injectors for the 6.0 powerstroke to help them run significantly better. However, there are better options on the market. Call it whatever you want, but if you've ever ridden in a 6.0 powerstroke that was suffering from injector stiction, you'd know this stuff is like a little miracle in a bottle. I wouldn't waste my money or time running it in my TDI though.

FWIW,

Hot Shots < Rev X < Archoil 9100. Archoil is also 1/2 the price of rev-x and works much better. I'm running it in my own 6.0 right now.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Mike, the OP in this thread is asking about their fuel additive, not their oil additive.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
From the MSDS, it looks like diesel with a slight bit of solvent and cetane improver in it.

2-ETHYLHEXLY NITRATE is made by Lubrizol (and probably others) for cetane improvement.
2EHN is the most common cetane improver around. Lubro Moly and Amalgamated Inc use it as well.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Junk science
I really doubt that any real science is involved with the product. Snake oil type product manufacturers DO NOT want you to respond on a rational level, they want you respond on an emotional level and just buy their product.

TDIbulc

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan, 2005 Jetta Wagon
In answer to the original question

I realize this is my first ever post on the forum - always want to feel like a contributor before actually saying something. That said, I actually do have some feedback about this Hot Shot's Secret product being asked about.

Was actually planning to have my injectors rebuilt in the 2005 PD I've been driving. Have the money to do so, and it seemed about time to mess with them in this way (216,000 miles). Mileage has been dropping a bit, some visible smoke during accel, and an occasional engine code relating to misfiring on cyl #2 (mainly after a long trip).

I stumbled onto an Amazoff link (for the Diesel Extreme) lower on a page I was looking at for something else, and clicked on it. I read all the hype and hoopla they were touting about it, and figured I had little to lose by giving it a try. If it didn't work, I'd be no worse off than the times I've used PS DieselKleen.

I have 30oz left of the PS DieselKleen product, from an 80oz jug I bought a couple years ago. While it's actually in the tank, this product seems to smooth out the engine a bit, but as soon as the tank is finished the car goes back to the way it was prior to using it. The mileage has always remained unaffected whether it's been added or not - just a smoothness improvement.

So this HSS DE product arrives last Thursday, and I put in 6oz on my way to work Monday morning (2½ days ago). I'm not exaggerating when I say that within a half-mile of driving, there was a noticeable throttle difference, for the better. I was not expecting this at all. I know some of you are skeptical of such claims, but this is truly the first time in my 53 year old life that a product has impressed me so quickly. The performance is a LOT peppier, and when I look back during a hard acceleration there's no visible smoke (as I could always see before). I'm now set back in the seat a little firmer too.

As for proof of any of this - time will tell. What I can say is that I went down after work yesterday (Tuesday), and had my emissions checked (because it's due, and every 2 years the State requires it be done). I took it to the exact same outfit I took it to the previous time. Went through the check, and the guy commented on my low particulate number. After getting back home, I checked the number against my emission test from 2 years earlier. 2 years ago I scored a 1.3 (below 40 is passing) in the particulate department, this latest test has it as a 0.5 ! The car was running fairly well 2 years ago, and it's only been the last year that things have been declining or deteriorating slightly (why I wanted to do the injector rebuild).

The HSS company claims this product only needs to be used every 6000 miles. And since I've only been running it so short a time, I can't give any feedback as to if that seems true, the mileage gains or losses, or the effects to the injectors good or bad. What I can attest to is that it seems to work quite well, and I'm impressed with the results. My plan is to make a couple of updates to this as time goes by, and I gain more experience with it.

I've read this forum long enough to know there's gonna be some bashing and thrashing over this, and that's alright. I have nothing to gain or lose whether anyone else ever uses this product or not. I just wanted to go on here and give some first-hand feedback regarding a product which initially seems to do what it claims to do. If this all ends up happy and no negative, unforeseen issues, I'll save the injectors rebuild until I really do need it.

Last edited:

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
What part of this is "verified"? I see nothing but one persons opinion with no facts what so ever.
I don't see anything "verified" either, but way more than one person's opinion.
72 out of 75 reviews on their site give it 5 stars (3 that are 4*). 50 out of 74 on Amazon (12 that are 4*).

I don't use any additives, but it seems to havee quite a bit of positive "opinion" . Enough that I'd be interested in seeing some actual studies or data.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What part of this is "verified"? I see nothing but one persons opinion with no facts what so ever.
My favorite snake oil statement is that it reduces regens by "up to" 50%.

Per Hot Shot you use it once every 6 months so the claimed cetane increase is pretty meaningless. For a cetane booster to work, it has to be used with every tank of fuel. If you use HS more frequently it may damage your HPFP because it leave some sort of "coating" on the internals of all of your fuel system components.

Also there is no mention of increasing lubricity because it's claimed cleaning action most likely reduces lubricity.

There is some scientific research on why people use it:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brain-sense/201201/the-placebo-effect-how-it-works

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have friends that SWEAR that every time they get their oil changed their car runs so much better. They say it is faster and makes less noise and it is like having a new engine again.

TDIbulc

TDI
2002 Jetta Sedan, 2005 Jetta Wagon
More personal opinion to rev-up the veterans on here

OK, so now for the next observation from the only actual user, in this thread so far, of the HSS product - Diesel Extreme.

Took the wife's car (2002 ALH powered Jetta) down last night and added 6oz of DE to the tank, adding a few gallons of fuel to top it off. Being unfamiliar with the performance (as I rarely drive it), I didn't want to make any judgments about whether it ran better or not during the 4 miles back to the house.

What I can state, is that from the very first day we bought the car (08/2012), it's always given a puff of blue smoke upon a cold start up. It's been getting a little worse as the years go by, along with a stronger smell of a "diesel vehicle" running. With fall happening here, the temperature this morning was a brisk 37F, and I was curious if there was any improvement in this predictable event. I followed her outside and watched as she started the vehicle. There was no visible sign of any smoke that I could see, and no smell of strong diesel either.

The feedback she gave me, after we were home from work this afternoon, was that the acceleration onto the freeway was noticeably quicker than normal, and the slight hesitation it would usually give was gone. These improvements were large enough that it caused her to think, "Hey what's going on here with my... Oh, right! The injector cleaner."

I still plan to follow up if there's any improvements in MPGs, and whether the effects last after the one tank is gone. However, if this really doesn't interest anyone, I can certainly keep my keyboard quiet, and let the veterans on here have the final skeptical say.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
TDIbulc states in his FIRST posting he dumped 6 oz into the tank and within 1/2 mile of driving noticed a difference!

In 1/2 mile you haven't even used the fuel that is in the fuel filter !

I would call that BS ! First off whatever additive you might add really only mixes well if you add into an almost empty tank, then filling it with fuel and then it will mix in properly with the fuel.

Is he by any chance flogging this stuff and trying to boost sales ???

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I didn't see the word "verified" used in any of the posts above yours, nor did I see anyone imply such. IMHO, reading comprehension is an important and necessary skill.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
OK, so now for the next observation from the only actual user, in this thread so far, of the HSS product - Diesel Extreme.
Took the wife's car (2002 ALH powered Jetta) down last night and added 6oz of DE to the tank, adding a few gallons of fuel to top it off. Being unfamiliar with the performance (as I rarely drive it), I didn't want to make any judgments about whether it ran better or not during the 4 miles back to the house.
What I can state, is that from the very first day we bought the car (08/2012), it's always given a puff of blue smoke upon a cold start up. It's been getting a little worse as the years go by, along with a stronger smell of a "diesel vehicle" running. With fall happening here, the temperature this morning was a brisk 37F, and I was curious if there was any improvement in this predictable event. I followed her outside and watched as she started the vehicle. There was no visible sign of any smoke that I could see, and no smell of strong diesel either.
The feedback she gave me, after we were home from work this afternoon, was that the acceleration onto the freeway was noticeably quicker than normal, and the slight hesitation it would usually give was gone. These improvements were large enough that it caused her to think, "Hey what's going on here with my... Oh, right! The injector cleaner."
I still plan to follow up if there's any improvements in MPGs, and whether the effects last after the one tank is gone. However, if this really doesn't interest anyone, I can certainly keep my keyboard quiet, and let the veterans on here have the final skeptical say.
Unfortunately, you told your wife what you were going to do. Can you find a friend with a TDI and sneak some in their tank then follow up later without telling them what you did. After that, tell them you are going to put it in, then don't actually put it in.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I didn't see the word "verified" used in any of the posts above yours, nor did I see anyone imply such. IMHO, reading comprehension is an important and necessary skill.
That is because it was edited after the fact. It was in TDIbulc's first post. I guess you missed it coming along late and all and didn't read the "edited" at the bottom. It says for spelling but the text was also changed to read different. Why do you think the post below mine said the same thing? Thanks for the compliment on reading and comprehension.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
That is because it was edited after the fact. It was in TDIbulc's first post. I guess you missed it coming along late and all and didn't read the "edited" at the bottom. It says for spelling but the text was also changed to read different. Why do you think the post below mine said the same thing? Thanks for the compliment on reading and comprehension.
Well, I guess that came back on me. My bad.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The fuel in the filter would be used rather fast as what fuel is not used is pumped back to the tank through the return line so fuel is always moving to filter, engine/injectors and back to the tank so one just may notice a difference in a very short drive after adding fuel additive. The injectors always have fuel supplied to them and what is not needed goes back to tank and depending, some back to the filter to help prevent waxing/gelling of the fuel. I would have to agree with TDIbulc that one would notice a difference in say 1 km or sooner and as far as having to have an empty tank before adding any additive is not needed. I have added to a pretty much full tank and noticed a diff., mind you adding before filling is for sure the better way. Each their own and believe what you will.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
"hot shot's secret"?
freeway miles
thousands of them at a time

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
That's great. I only get about 700 miles from a tank. How many thousands of miles do you get from a tank? Other than lightening you wallet and not damaging your car's fuel system (yet), what else does this magical elixir do?

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That's great. I only get about 700 miles from a tank. How many thousands of miles do you get from a tank? Other than lightening you wallet and not damaging your car's fuel system (yet), what else does this magical elixir do?
You seem angry over nothing.

Know what I add to my fuel? Air.
Occasionally a little gasoline when it's real cold and the timing advance goes away.