Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

TDI
I think what makes the black look the best is that with the all black background, the shroud not being wider is not nearly as pronounced as the chrome. I am torn between the GLI and the Black as to which looks better. I think for dark colored cars the GLI is better, and lighter cars, red especially, the Black is the way to go.

I don't think I could put the larger shrouds in there without a significant amount of extra work. I am thinking it would take 3-4 times longer to do that. At that point I would have to charge a lot more, which sort of defeats the purpose of these, which was to offer an affordable alternative to what is out there.

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Initial Impressions

I just received my lights in the mail yesterday and got them installed the same day. Took me a little over two hours. It wasn't really complicated at all. I still need to go back and mount the ballasts better. Overall I am very impressed with the lights. This is my first experience with HID's so I am no expert but the light output is unspeakably better than my stock headlights. These really light up the road like none other. I may still have a little tweaking to do on the aiming but nothing major. Jeff has been stellar to work with. I am one of those annoying customers that has a million questions and he has answered every one of them in a very timely fashion. I would not hesitate to get lights from him again.

Here are some pictures from my iphone, if I get better ones I will post them. Excuse my plast-dip V on my bumper cover, it is covering missing paint until I get time to re-paint it!!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Looking good, Airstream... Compared to the abysmal A4 Jetta headlights, you're going to be very, very happy.

TDI
I would need to experiment. I couldn't say until I had a set in front of me that I could look at, see how the projectors are mounted in there, how much room there is, etc. So, anyone have a set (or just a single light) they want to lend me?

TDI
Probably just a day or two. I am going to look at it and see if it looks like the projector is removable without modification. If so, I will take it out and see if I can put a different one in there reasonably.

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
Might be able to help you with that. I work in Columbus, if it is just for a few days I can probably drive a different car to work during that time. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
Brendan

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Keep in mind, there are 2 versions of the New Beetle headlights. The original New Beetle and the refreshed beetle (which has a larger projector lens)...

With the NB, it's more like adapting the new projector mounting holes to the stock mounting holes

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Airstream, How about some shots of how you set up / attached the ballasts, harness, etc. to the frame? A Golf might be a bit different but I am sure you have some feedback on the attachment points for this part of the setup. TIA

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Jeff just completed a set of MKV lights for me and I will be putting up photos of the lights and the install this weekend. I have a 2005.5 Jetta (pretty much a 2006 for all interested) and it currently has a set of Chinese HIDs installed that are pure junk. So Jeff modified the old set of OEM lights for me.

let me know if anyone wants to see any particular views of the lights or the install before this weekend.

Tony

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
To the frame? Haha should I do that? Honestly when I installed them I just found two little pockets in the bay to rest the ballasts in, and I haven't changed anything yet. I am planning on getting some mounting tape just to secure them to something inside there but I haven't gotten around to it yet. If you want pictures still I can get some of them resting in there! :)

TDI
The fenders are the best and easiest place to ground the two ballasts. Also photoed is the place that I choose to mount the relay box. It is important to note, that the relay harness is not necessary for this install. Customers who do not want a harness can request that I wire the headlights in such a way as to directly power the ballasts. On some of the older cars, a harness is recommended as the stock wiring can start to corrode and there can be voltage drop at the headlight connector. If you are getting over 12V at the headlight connector though, a harness is not necessary. And if you have a newer car, like a Jetta V or VI, a harness is definitely not necessary. But like I said, for the IV models I think they are just a safe way to go to ensure performance issues do not arise. It also has the advantage of isolating the HID system from the car's system, so trouble shooting is easier.

Airstream

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta; 2010 JSW
Oh you meant grounded to the frame. Yes I did my install just like the above pictures. I mounted the relay inside the center cover instead of above on the outside, and I can't fit the driver's side cover on because of too many wires, but its still looks good.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Ah, those photos help a lot Jeff, thanks. I assume you screwed (or used two way tape) to attach the relay to the back of the passenger side headlight cover?
Waiting for bulbs...then onward.

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Jeff,

If I sent you a set of OEM HID's, could you retrofit a set of angel eyes(wired as city lights) and glass lenses?

TDI
Yes, I used a bolt on the outside and a nut on the inside to mount the relay there. The only reason that I did not mount it inside that cover is because I have my ballast as well as a fog light relay in there.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Guys..
I just installed mine and have a problem.I don't have blinkers and high beam.When I turn blinkers on,it just blinks twice as fast but no lights coming from the headlamp.
When high beams are switched on,nothing happens.Low beam works fine.
I've traced back the installations process as slow as I can but can seem to figure out whats going on.
Its getting frustrating and your help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Found this in an old post, check the wires and see if its correct (side light is directional light)

10 - gray - Side light +
9 - white w/black stripe - Hi beam +
8 - orange - Ground (fog, side light, indicator)
7 - yellow w/black stripe - Lo beam +
6 - black w/green stripe - Indicator +
5 - open - Levelling motor control +
4 - orange - Ground (Lo & Hi beam)
3 - open - Levelling motor power -
2 - open - Front fog +
1 - open - Levelling motor power +

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
^^^^Thanks man,I just found out the hard way that there are no bulbs in the blinker and fog light sockets....sigh.That will explain the fast blinking.
Also will the OP care to chime in the reason high beams don't work and what kind of bulb is needed for the blinkers ?
Thanks.

TDI
Did you plug in the little high beam connector in the back of the headlight? Coming out the back of each headlight is a small connector that plugs into the harness to receive a high beam signal.

The bulbs are 1156 for the turn signal, H3 for the fog, and 194 for the city light if that is what your option was.

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Man these are cool.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Did you plug in the little high beam connector in the back of the headlight? Coming out the back of each headlight is a small connector that plugs into the harness to receive a high beam signal.

The bulbs are 1157 for the turn signal (though I hear 1156 also fits), H3 for the fog, and 194 for the city light if that is what your option was.
if you're using ecodes for MK4 jetta retros... then the turn signal is PY21W (aka sylvania 7507)

1157 is a dual filament version of 1156

TDI
From what I am seeing here (looking at the bulb socket) both the 1156 and the 7507 would fit. The difference between the two is that the 7505 has the prongs at 9 and 4, where the 1156 has them at 9 and 3. The bulb socket seems to accommodate both. If buyers wish to be safe 7507 would be the safe bet, but I also see no reason why 1156 does not fit into this socket as well. Just so everyone knows, I am sitting here with a socket in front of me with a 1156 bulb in it. Instructions from the headlight manufacturer list 1156 as the correct bulb. That is all I can really say about it.