www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 1st, 2007, 08:32   #1
Octavian
Veteran Member

Post Water pump replacement without timing belt replacement

Hi

Last year, my car (A4 platform, TDI, ASV engine) went for the first time to stealer to do the timing belt and replace water pump. Timing belt job went just fine. But since then there is a small leakage, not enough to successfully argue for a warranty repair, but enough to annoy. I add about 0.5litre per month, more in hot weather.

I am thinking that either they damaged the seal during water pump replacement, or they left old seal in and did not put a new one.

So, with this in mind, is there a reliable way of relieving tension on timing belt and removing/reinserting the water pump without the need to redo various retensioning hocus-pocus?

I was thinking about marking all gears and the belt to make sure they end up in the same relative positions.

Any opinions, please shout.

As a side note, the car was fine for 4 years with me doing the servicing and minor repairs. First visit to the dealer and problems... I guess I should have expected it.
Octavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 08:51   #2
runonbeer
Maintenance EnthusiastVendor

Fuel Economy: amazing/excellent/still pretty good

Quote:
not enough to successfully argue for a warranty repair
I think you have an argument for warranty repair. especially if it started doing this immediately following the pump replacement. If one of my customers was losing coolant following a belt change I would absolutely fix it, no question.
runonbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:01   #3
BleachedBora

x2
All the gurus I know of would fix it (and that's quite a few!). I'd complain.
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 09:09   #4
Mass. Wine Guy
Veteran Member

Raise a ruckus with the dealer. It is their fault and their duty to make it right. If they balk, contact VW and open a case. Don't delay, though. Maybe the leak is just the beginning of a totally broken pump.
Mass. Wine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 10:51   #5
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavian
(snip) So, with this in mind, is there a reliable way of relieving tension on timing belt and removing/reinserting the water pump without the need to redo various retensioning hocus-pocus? (snip)
__. No. Even if you could keep the timing (which you can't), you'd flood the belt with coolant - it' almost impossible not to dump all the coolant out of the engine; some are good enough to save some but mostly most will drop most of it. So there are two reasons that you can't.

__. I personally would have been down there the week after and on their back like a dirty shirt but that's past now. But if it's been leaking since they did the work, they owe you a new waterpump ... and if coolant has contaminated the belt, a belt, and tensioner, and engine bolts, etc. (Actually, they'll owe you the engine bolts anyway, I think.)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 10:51   #6
BleachedBora

If they even do the engine bolts....
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:36   #7
Octavian
Veteran Member

Sorry, was on a trip (in another car).

The leak is slow enough for the workshop to argue that it is not there, the usual "unable to observe what customer reported". You'd need to run the car for 2 weeks to notice.

Sounds like I overlooked the fact that the belt might be contaminated from faulty replacement. I'll have a look at the car later this month, if there are any signs of coolant on the belt, that would be a good argument for warranty repair.

Thanks for advice
Octavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:43   #8
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Have another shop inspect it (VW dealer) diagnose it and take it back to these guys. Stack the deck against them and force them to remedy the work.

G12 won't hurt the belt so don't worry about that. Fuel and oil not so good....It's not that it breaks the belt down but the fact that the oil and fuel attract dust that grinds on the belt's surfaces. This erodes the belt and damages the contact areas increasing the wear rate of the belt to an unknown quantity...

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote