Help getting setup w/ VCDS mobile, please!

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
so i just threw down for a HEX NET, and am having a devil of a time getting started. i've watched all the videos several times, but they're geared toward those running Windows and thus, unhelpful to me... below is my thread with the Ross-Tech honcho. hopefully he'll have a better idea than "borrow a PC" - i bought this because it is supposedly platform-independent for the non-PC/Windows folks.

The Mac version of old Java Config Utility is here, but it isn't being maintained anymore, and the a Mac version of the new (native, not Java) Config Utility isn't available yet, sorry.

If all else fails, I would suggest borrowing a PC long enough to get things configured (and to get yourself registered).

-Uwe-

hmmm, so i must've missed the fine print that said this isn't really platform independent. did i just spend almost $500 dollars on a tool that can't actually do what it is marketed to do on iPhones/iPads?

1.9 Will there be a version for iPhone/iPad, Android, Blackberry, or Windows Phone?
We have no plans to make a native "Application" for any of these platforms. Instead, we are have created a platform-indendent version of VCDS called "VCDS-Mobile". It can be used on modern versions of any of the above smart-phones and tablets.

what am i missing here? i feel like i've done a decent bit of research on TDI Club and elsewhere, so this is pretty frustrating to be told i need to "borrow a PC" FFS. c'mon man, don't do me like that!

I said, "If all else fails". Did you try using the older Java Config Utility?

There is a Mac version of the newer, native-code Utility coming at some point, I just can't tell you exactly when it will be ready.

-Uwe-

ok, so i am able to download the older Config Utility (V1.963). at first attempt, i connected to our home wifi network, but the middle light never turned green. i tried the toggle button to see if i could switch to Infra mode, then my Config Utility froze up.
i'm following the video best i can, but once it shows how to on Windows i'm at a dead end. i can't seem to get to Infra mode, or Program Options as seen at 5:25 of the video.

hopefully this is progress and someone with Mac experience can walk me through the setup... again, i'm using a MacBookPro OS X and an iPhone 7 with VCDS Mobile App

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
I would suggest contacting Ross-Tech, they are available by phone and extremely helpful.
Unless you get me... I'm just the normal helpful. :rolleyes:

But for real, I would say your best option at this point is go barrow a true Windows 7 or newer computer, install the VCDS software on it and then follow the instructions in the video for the updates. It may not be the option you want, but for now it is your best option.

It is on the "to-do" list to release a native Mac HEX utility at some point, but have no clue when that might happen.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Maybe check a computer repair shop in your area and see if they have used laptops?
It would not have to be state of the art, but it should run Win 7 or 10.
The one I use is over 10 years old.
Battery lasts 15 minutes so I power it with an inverter in the car.

The only Apples I will take are the aluminum cased ones.
Scrap aluminum is good. :D

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless you get me... I'm just the normal helpful. :rolleyes:

But for real, I would say your best option at this point is go barrow a true Windows 7 or newer computer, install the VCDS software on it and then follow the instructions in the video for the updates. It may not be the option you want, but for now it is your best option.

It is on the "to-do" list to release a native Mac HEX utility at some point, but have no clue when that might happen.
yeah, that'd be nice. i really bought this expecting it to work with my Mac - maybe i misread the fine print?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
yeah, that'd be nice. i really bought this expecting it to work with my Mac - maybe i misread the fine print?
I am pretty sure that the HEX-NET will "work" with your Mac, after is it configured. The problem is with the the network setup. About 5 minutes with a borrowed PC to set up your network settings and then it should work fine with your Mac. I realize that this is a bit of a PITA, but until Ross-Tech creates a config program for Apple's OS, it appears to be your only option.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I doubt that you misread anything. This point is probably missing from that "fine print".

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so then it really is just a quick borrow situation - that's much more reasonable than "go buy a used" PC.

it'd be nice if Ross-Tech were just clear and explicit about this detail so i didn't waste more than 6 hours trying to mash a square peg into a round hole!

thanks