GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASHING PLEASE HELP

3VoL

TDI
jetta,2000,blue
I have the glow plug light flashing while I'm driving the car. I followed the glow plug check and the glow plug harness check and the relay check. I can't find the problem... is there any thing else I missed I really dont want to take it to the dealer. It just started today and it also runs well

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Check your brake lights? See if they work. If not, it could be both bulbs are burnt out, or the brake switch is broken. You may have to go to the dealer to get a new switch, and it may be covered under extended warrenty. Check the brake lights and get back to us.

Probe

TDI
Beetle, 2000, Green
So we were on our way to Vermont from Maine when about 50 miles out my Glow Plug Light starts to blink!!! Thinking that the engine may leap from under the hood any minute, my wife wanted to abort the mission and "head her back to the barn". Then I logon to this forum and find out that INDEED I DON'T HAVE ANY BRAKES LIGHTS!!! Now I probably can remedy that as soon as I find one and have some daylight to work with, but what in the world does the Glow Plug light have to do with the brake light switch? I have a 2000 bug and is that supposed to be covered under the recall?

Thanks,

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I just got that recall notice on my 2000 Bug. Alas, I replaced that brake switch many miles ago. The flashing glow plug light in my opinion shows more potentially serious faults than the usual check engine light does.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree with Velvetfoot - if the brake lights are working, you may have other problems. However, to find what, I believe you'll need to get it scanned. And if you have someone with a VagCom to check, you may have them check the brake switch if there are no other codes. Where are you located? You may find a member to help close by.

JetHead

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Gray
About 2 weeks ago, a friend came into my office and told me my lights were on. I go out and check it and find it's just my brake lights. I toggle the brake pedal and nthey go out. Well it's happened 2 more times, and I'm thinking that's wierd. And then this last weekend my glow plug started flashing. I came here to see if anyone knew about this, and it appears that the brake light switch might be my problem. Thanks for the help.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replace brake light switch. It may be subject of a recall, so check with the dealer.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
About 2 weeks ago, a friend came into my office and told me my lights were on. I go out and check it and find it's just my brake lights. I toggle the brake pedal and nthey go out. Well it's happened 2 more times, and I'm thinking that's wierd. And then this last weekend my glow plug started flashing. I came here to see if anyone knew about this, and it appears that the brake light switch might be my problem. Thanks for the help.
Isn't that search feature great? Especially when combined with reading. Well done.