playing video from anything BUT a DVD on RNS-510

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
With the RNS-510 head unit, is it possible to play video on the screen from anything BUT the DVD player? There's a built in hard drive, the SD drive, and iPod connections. In most other head units, I could play videos on the screen from all of those sources.
I can't figure out how to do it on the RNS-510.
Has anyone else figured out a way?

rabinabo

TDI
2010 4 door Golf TDI manual
If it's possible, you would probably be able to find it over at vwnavi.com. I've never seen anything like that, even from people in Europe (where they seem to get all the cool stuff). The manual also doesn't mention anything like that.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
If it's possible, you would probably be able to find it over at vwnavi.com. I've never seen anything like that, even from people in Europe (where they seem to get all the cool stuff). The manual also doesn't mention anything like that.
ok, thanks. I didn't think it was possible, but the Europeans also seem to find all these 'secret' menus and the like. I'll look over at vwnavi - thanks again

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Just so you know the full extent of things you cannot do...

You cannot play a DVD of .mp3 files either. You put in the DVD of music and it says "invalid CD format".

behavioranalyst

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 2-door Auto DSG

You cannot play a DVD of .mp3 files either. You put in the DVD of music and it says "invalid CD format".
Is there a way to enable a DVD to play while the car is moving? Would be useful when on long trips with the kids.

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none

wow..my wife bought after market DVD player (replaced stock CD one) for ~$160. it plays DVD and MP3 recorded on DVD as data.

friend of mine bought aftermarket navigation unit that also plays DVD and MP3 for ~$500.

VWoA charges ~$1600 extra for the navigation?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I would think Vw also cares about the safety of their customers as well as abiding by the law.

The aftermarket video companies care about profit. Besides, even the aftermarket navi says in the install instructions that the ground switch should be hooked up so the video can not play without the parking brake engaged. Most people bypass that to be able to watch videos while in motion.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
I would think Vw also cares about the safety of their customers as well as abiding by the law.
Not so. If they did, they wouldn't make the 510 so darn slow. God forbid you want to get out of your garage fast.

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
Technically couldn't the rear view camera input work??? A friend of mine used the rvc input on his infinity and figured we could do the same...

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Is there a way to enable a DVD to play while the car is moving? Would be useful when on long trips with the kids.
Yes there is!

The process is explained at the link below and the link also provides another link to the file you need. You'll see that I struggled at first getting the program to run properly until I burned a DVD at slower speed to load the file onto the RNS510.

RNS 510 VIM (Video In Motion)

dunringil

TDI
passat

This is not true, I have done it. In my case it was "how" i chose to close the DVD when I ripped it. I used the standard windows 8 Ripper program. Chose to close the disc and it plays the MP3's off the DVD. RNS510