A3/B4 WGT Super 17 hybrid turbo on Kerma, question for Kerma, etc.

akampion

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
I am planning on upgrading my turbo and this seems like a cheap and simple option. I have nozzles and will be RC tuned soon, plus i have unrestricted exhaust. What kinda boost does this turbo reliably put out? Is it variable vane like the vnts? How does it compare to a vnt 17 or 20? Does anyone have it already? I think it's new to Kerma's website, but i could be wrong.

While i'm on the subject, has anyone had experience fitting a vnt20 or equivalent on an A3 '98 Jetta? Seems everything is made for the ALHs.

Thanks,

Kamp

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Funny I was just looking at that... I think its just an upgraded wastegated turbo not a vnt unit. I dont know if this is his stage three unit it may be the stage 2 that was talked about for a while. BBB might be able to fill in more he used to have a setup with a stage three on his white jetta ahu.

As far as fitting a vnt on an ahu. it has been done you can even put that vnt 20 or anything larger on it. These cars are like potato heads but you need to fabricate intercooler, intake pipes, etc. to make things work. Thats why not many do it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A VNT-17 will fit on an A3 if you modify the engine mount bracket. Jeff has one on his son's car and says it runs great.

IMHO the wastegated turbo on the A3 and B4 work well. I know people say the wastegated turbo is laggy but with the right tune I don't think they are at all. They do, however, limit you to 130-140 HP before they get really smokey.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Depends on how much you fuel it, intercooling, and air. I'd say you can get 180/320 without a lot of trouble.

I have RC3a (19 PSI) on my A3 and driving it today after not using it much at all in the last year I was impressed by how quick it is. Light weight (2700 lbs) really helps.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Do you think the ALH style pump fits an 1Z bottomend..? I have serious doubts about that, easier is to buy 11mm head and mount on the oem pump..

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
akampion said:
I am planning on upgrading my turbo and this seems like a cheap and simple option. I have nozzles and will be RC tuned soon, plus i have unrestricted exhaust. What kinda boost does this turbo reliably put out? Is it variable vane like the vnts? How does it compare to a vnt 17 or 20? Does anyone have it already? I think it's new to Kerma's website, but i could be wrong.

While i'm on the subject, has anyone had experience fitting a vnt20 or equivalent on an A3 '98 Jetta? Seems everything is made for the ALHs.

Thanks,

Kamp
Hello akampion;

To answer your questions, that turbo is a stage 3 wastegated upgrade for the AHU. It will reliably produce 160-170 Hp with very little to no lag in the AHU. There are also larger turbos available that will be released soon that will compare with the 20 and others for that engine. :)

Last edited:

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Figured I would chime in on this thread. I haven't checked out my own turbo yet to assess the whole picture, but the wastegate actuator is seized and I was considering upgrades. Here's what Aaron told me regarding the difference between the WGT-17 and the K03/K04 hybrid:

--
Both will give you greater fuel economy as long as you don't use the power, as well as lower EGTs. I've sold about 35 K03/04 hybrids over the last couple years with all of them still running great. That said the Super 17 is the next evolution in the series. It features full balancing, greater efficiency, and what we expect to be greater reliability as well. If I still had either of my A3's it'd be the turbo going into my car (in fact I demoed a couple of the prototypes in my '98 just before I sold it!).
--

If anyone has tested the WGT-17 I would love to hear the results. I am still trying to figure if it is worth putting in my A3, considering going on 283K now. I do at least want my turbo working properly though, at the very least getting a new actuator.

1point9turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi Black
i am interested in that WGT-17 as well...

i was going to wait a little bit but being my old turbo actuator is shot and the wastegate has been sealed for a long time, id rather just save up for the upgrade anyway. anyone use this turbo yet?