windshield washer fluid leak

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
My windshield wiper fluid is leaking somewhere up front. It's a relatively slow leak, but quick enough that after filling up the resevoir, the low fluid light goes on within 2 weeks.

I admit that normally my husband fixes the car, and I'm instructed to stay out of the way. But... after 6 months it's clear it's not one of his priorities, and I'm tired of hearing the car make loud noises at me, of driving around with a warning light on (I'm oblivious to all orange lights on my dash now), of always buying more fluid, and having to explain the noise/light to passengers. So... it's definitely a do it myself if I ever want it done moment.

Only... I need a bit of help figuring out how to track down the source of the leak and then figuring out how to stop it. I need your help/advice to do that! Please?

Thanks!
-Stephanie

P.S. If I were truly in a pregnant hormonal fit, I'd also request that you flame my husband (also a member here) for requiring me to come to you guys for help with this. But... I'm only in a partial fit, so I won't!!!!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Steph, we had a similar mystery leak on our B4 wagon. It turned out that washer fluid was leaking from the little electric motor non-stop even though it still worked.

See if your car is suffering the same malady...IMPEX has cheap replacement motors if that's needed.

Take care.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
If it's leaking enough fluid that the light comes on - i.e. the fluid level is getting very low in the tank - then I'm not sure you'll be able to do much diagnosis w/o pulling out the fluid tank. I presume you've not actually been using much/any fluid during the 2 week period that the reservoir is draining itself? Removing the reservoir isn't especially difficult - many of us have done it as part of upgrading to the larger 5.5L fluid tank - there's just a lot of things that have to be undone and moved to gain the necessary space.

Leaking from one of the grommets in the tank is a possibility. The next time the light comes on, see if you can extract the washer fluid pump (clipped into molded spot on the side of the tank) on the side of the reservoir and reseat it in the grommet - being careful not to push the rubber grommet into the tank. You may have to undo the fuel filter to gain space to see and move the pump.

Here's my post from some time ago, when I did the upgrade to the larger tank, including the steps for removing the stock tank (up to Step 13):
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=928914#post928914

Last edited:

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I had the exact same problem about a month ago. I narrow it down to one of two possibilities: The one listed above (fluid leaking through the motor...my motor was all corroded when I took it all apart or two, the rubber gaskets that hold the motor or the sensor could be leaking.

I replaced the motor and the two rubber grommets. No more leaks, took about 15 minutes.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Leaking from one of the grommets in the tank is a possibility." (where the motor is attached to the tank)

That's my thought.

--Nate

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
peteman said:
I had the exact same problem about a month ago. I narrow it down to one of two possibilities: The one listed above (fluid leaking through the motor...my motor was all corroded when I took it all apart or two, the rubber gaskets that hold the motor or the sensor could be leaking.
I replaced the motor and the two rubber grommets. No more leaks, took about 15 minutes.
Peteman... It's fairly easy, then, to get at the pump without having to remove the fluid tank? I can't remember what it was like before I swapped in the larger tank.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
On my 03 Golf I simply pulled the motor assembly directly up towards me. It's just held into the tank with pressure. As for replacing the grommets, you may need to remove the tank. Small tank has two plastic nuts holding it on. One on the fender and one directly behind the headlight. I believe there is a step by step pictorial on the Vortex. Search: windshield washer resevoir.