Egr and Dpf deleted, can I change the oil type now.

Joe-Dub

TDI
2009 VW Jetta 2.0CR TDI
I have a 2009 TDI Jetta and I recently had the EGR and the DPF deleted. I have a Buzzkin down pipe straight to the factory muffler and a Malone stage II tune. Can I change from a 507 specific oil and go with Royal purple, Rotella T6, etc. I have looked everywhere and I can not find the answer.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
So the dumb question from the new guy.
Why NOT run 507 oil?
All the 507 oil have seen has been 5w30 (not sure if it a requirement for low ash oils?). I would guess that now they no longer have a dpf the ash is not an issue and they want to run something with higher viscosity like 0w40 or 5w40

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
All the 507 oil have seen has been 5w30 (not sure if it a requirement for low ash oils?). I would guess that now they no longer have a dpf the ash is not an issue and they want to run something with higher viscosity like 0w40 or 5w40
Ash in any form is an abrasive. Makes sense not to but abrasives into one's crankcase.
I understand the theory of higher-viscosity oils and the ability to keep parts farther apart, alleged higher film strength, etc., (ad nauseum) than low viscosity oil.

Oil is a hot topic in ALL vehicle forums. Everyone believes the sales pitch of someone - whether it be VWOA, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Quaker State, Penzoil, and the list goes on. Each has its crowd of fanboys.

So, back OT. There is no argument so far as to NOT put 507 oil in the engine.
It is a WISH to PUT NON-507 oil in the crankcase because one wants to for whatever perceived reason they believe.

As an aside, I guess we all know that according to the govt. rules, a "synthetic" oil can be well over 90% dino, and still be called a full synthetic.

So, what are we really buying?
and
Does it matter?

My answer is put whatever your little heart's desire in the crankcase.

Or as they say on Mythbusters...
"I reject your reality and substitute my own".

As for me, I'll continue to use 507 oil until either I'm told that I shouldn't or when I don't feel like putting 507 oil in the engine any more. Whichever comes first. I reserve the right, however, to put 507 oil in the engine at any later time should I change my mind, or if I do it accidentally. :D

Carry on.
frank

ps. While we're at it, how many use the 3K "accepted as Gospel" ;) oil change interval, or the VW recommended interval of 10K miles? :eek:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
One argument for switching from VW 507.00 oil to something else is a low starting TBN of VW 507.00 oils. Under certain conditions (e.g. harsh climate, bad driving style, stop-and-go traffic) the TBN might be exhausted too quickly.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Interesting thought on switching to a different oil. I also went with a DPF Delete and Malone S2 tune with a DSG tune. I used Castrol 507 for the first 130K miles. Changed to Mobil 1 ESP 507. I think I'll stay with a 507 oil. Would like to see or hear your results. I'm noticing a little oil consumption now that I've hit the 130K + mile mark. I add about 1/4 - 1/2 bottle per 10K miles.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
You might want to take a look at the UOA thread to get a better idea of how the various oils are doing, real world evaluations. Personally, while I haven't "needed" to do my DPF delete just yet, once I do, I'll be going back to a CJ-4 rated Delva Mobil 1 ESP and RUN LIKE MAD from the 507 oil.

Mainly because it really is only good for 10k which was a big change for me, coming from my 2006 where I was running Mobile Delvac 1 ESP from 15-18k OCI with ease. The TBN is definitely higher in the Delvac and it holds up very well. I usually have to buy at the truck stop but that's where I fill up at so it's pretty convenient AND cost is about the same if not less than the Castrol LL03. That last 18k run I had in my 06 Jetta TDI, Blackstone told me I probably could have ran it longer. Just one more thing I have to look forward to once I do my delete. :D

*Found that last report I was talking about....

Here is the UOA thread I was referring to http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154548

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Any good synthetic diesel rated oil should be fine. End of the day its just a diesel engine and any good diesel engine oil should work. Even some of the above mentioned oils is used on engines with DPF so they are already low ash oils..

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Put me with turbocharged798. Ford has an excellent DPF low ash oil, inexpensive at Wallmart.

Your DPF is gone! The $8 oil is money burned. I light my Cubans with a $1, if you want to light yours with an $8, have fun!

Joe-Dub

TDI
2009 VW Jetta 2.0CR TDI
Thank you guys. I have had the car for less than a month and I had to special order a liter of oil ($13.99 + tax) to top it after I could not find 507 rated anywhere. Since I had the clean diesel parts and EGR deleted, I figured this would be a good question for the experts. I figured I would go back with something I trusted in my Cummins before. Thanks for the print out Mr. Rogers 1

Last edited: