AdBlue consumption

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I had mine topped off at the 10k and now at 16k. VCDS is registering a level of 77%. Not bad for 6k miles since fill.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I'm not sure if that value is accurate. Mine is showing 77.77% at 4314 miles (7 months). Never filled up or serviced yet.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think different people will burn different amounts of AdBlue due to differences in routes and driving styles.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Is there any consensus on whether it's better to run the adblue tank to empty before refilling? Should we be topping up? Is there an issue with "stale" adblue?
Someone posted that MB is requiring an adblue tank flush every 2 years? If so, why would that be? Should we be doing the same?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
According to the bottle it goes bad if it sits around for a long time in the heat.

I plan to keep my tank at least 1/2 full.

-J

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I plan to keep mine 1/2 full also, my driving style doesn't seem to use much, mostly highway miles. Had my 3rd regeneration yesterday.... something about driving 35 mph in 4th gear on level ground really seems to set that device off after highway cruising. 3x now, exact same circumstances.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
I noticed something, the level is different with the engine running versus key on, engine off. This makes sense since you can hear the adblue getting sucked back into the tank on shutdown, IIRC.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Hm. Perhaps that means you should only fill the tank with the key off... don't want to have an overflow!

-J
On my MB R320 filling instructions say: DO NOT OPEN THE ADBLUE TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. SHUT ENGINE OFF AND OPEN CAP SLOWLY TO RELIEVE PRESSURE.

Niner

On my MB R320 filling instructions say: DO NOT OPEN THE ADBLUE TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. SHUT ENGINE OFF AND OPEN CAP SLOWLY TO RELIEVE PRESSURE.
Your signature needs adjusting... just saying.... maybe a passat is in your future?

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your signature needs adjusting... just saying.... maybe a passat is in your future?
Nah,no adjustment needed. If in the future I purchase another VW CR........then I'll change my sig. Until then it will stay the same as a reminder of my VW CR failures.

Actually we have about 8 diesels around the place if you count tractors and heavy equipment.

Niner

Nah,no adjustment needed. If in the future I purchase another VW CR........then I'll change my sig. Until then it will stay the same as a reminder of my VW CR failures.
Actually we have about 8 diesels around the place if you count tractors and heavy equipment.
I think there's a passat somewhere in your future? Why else would you hang around in this forum? Or are you a vulture, waiting for a Passat HPFP death this summer? :rolleyes:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think there's a passat somewhere in your future? Why else would you hang around in this forum? Or are you a vulture, waiting for a Passat HPFP death this summer? :rolleyes:
I like the 2012 Passat,but twice burnt makes me very leary and gun shy of VW CR's.I guess the main reason I stick around on the CR forum is that I enjoy trying to help some people out,especially if they have had a hpfp failure. Another reason is I find the problem interesting from a lot of different perspectives and reasons. The greatest thing about this forum is that there is ALWAYS something you can learn even from a post that has nothing to do with tdi's or diesels.

OUCH! On the vulture comment. Actually I hope the redesigned Passat fuel system or maybe a 4th revision hpfp will make hpfp failures a thing of the past on newer MY cars. I think we will be living with failures here for a long time to come in earlier MY CR's,sorry to say.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I personally think the Passat is going to be a home run. We shall see.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I like the 2012 Passat,but twice burnt makes me very leary and gun shy of VW CR's.I guess the main reason I stick around on the CR forum is that I enjoy trying to help some people out,especially if they have had a hpfp failure. Another reason is I find the problem interesting from a lot of different perspectives and reasons. The greatest thing about this forum is that there is ALWAYS something you can learn even from a post that has nothing to do with tdi's or diesels.
OUCH! On the vulture comment. Actually I hope the redesigned Passat fuel system or maybe a 4th revision hpfp will make hpfp failures a thing of the past on newer MY cars. I think we will be living with failures here for a long time to come in earlier MY CR's,sorry to say.
I poured through these forums for 2 years before buying my first VW.

There is a lot useful information here, thanks to all.

Niner

I personally think the Passat is going to be a home run. We shall see.
I think you are correct... watched by the sidelines while folks first started posting up on their Passat experiences, went to dealerships, and I just was not seeing the passats, gas or diesel, in the service bays for anything except 10k oil changes or fill up the adblue, or 3 month /6000 mile courtesy checks. Routine stuff, not little niggling fixes like all the jettas I saw in the shop, JSW's with HPFP failures, or the Touareg with the HPFP failure. Techs were saying pretty much the same thing, they weren't making any money off the Passats yet.

So with that knowledge, and the mileage Ken and Gregg were getting, I decided to jump in.... almost 3 months later, I'm glad I did. Just hope it works out in the long run. Some folks are racking up incredible miles on their passat TDI's, so they are making great beta testers for all of us. Mostly, I have my eyes on the folks in FL, TX, AZ and CA for HPFP failures, maybe by next fall, if they are going to show up.

strongtm

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Black
My 1500k warning light came on Friday. I drove less than 300 miles this weekend and my warning is now that I have only 300 miles remaining. I drive 60 miles one way to work and now I am worried. I can't trust the warning system apparently. I left a message with my dealer and hope they will take me tomorrow.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My 1500k warning light came on Friday. I drove less than 300 miles this weekend and my warning is now that I have only 300 miles remaining. I drive 60 miles one way to work and now I am worried. I can't trust the warning system apparently. I left a message with my dealer and hope they will take me tomorrow.
A common philosophy on this board is, "Drive more; worry less." :D

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
You could always obtain a bottle from your local Walmart or Autozone to keep with you in case of non start.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
While DEF is including in the 3yr/36k mile complementary service, no reason not to spend $10 and a 2.5 gal bottle.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Buy a bottle and refill the tank yourself. After the warning reaches ZERO miles, it will begin counting down the number of engine starts before it will refuse to start without being serviced.

Niner

Buy a bottle and refill the tank yourself. After the warning reaches ZERO miles, it will begin counting down the number of engine starts before it will refuse to start without being serviced.
Or find a Flying J truck stop in your state on the interstate and fill up your DEF carefully without spilling for a lot less, tank holds 4.5 gallons. Just don't spill the stuff, it's ammonia/urea based and very corrosive.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
anyone no where to find the adblue value in the VCSD I can't seem to find it. I would just like to know how much is left in the tank

mrfly19@gmail.com
Wolfsburg would be the expert for that question. :)

Based on what the tech told me, those readings are a calculated amount, not actual.

The only real sensor is when it gets low. That is a simple, binary either on or off status, once you reach that point it goes on.

As posted earlier in this thread my was showing 99.85% or something like that. At the 3 month courtesy check, they put in one small bottle to top it off. So it was NOT that high.

Last edited:

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
anyone no where to find the adblue value in the VCSD I can't seem to find it. I would just like to know how much is left in the tank

mrfly19@gmail.com
With VCDS, I believe you can find the level (expressed as a percentage) in Engine -> Advanced Measuring Values -> 98-0:Sensor for reducing agent fill level. My Passat with about 3600 miles, mostly around town, showed a fill level of 77.03 %.

Niner

Any time you do a refill of Adblue, turn the ignition on without starting the motor and wait for 30 seconds so the AdBlue tank can reset the ECU readings after the adblue fillup. Then start your motor. It's in the Owners Manual.

mrfly19

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
With VCDS, I believe you can find the level (expressed as a percentage) in Engine -> Advanced Measuring Values -> 98-0:Sensor for reducing agent fill level. My Passat with about 3600 miles, mostly around town, showed a fill level of 77.03 %.
Thanks Wolfsburg I will give it a try. I wish it had a regular gage. On another note I noticed the rain sensing wipers don't work very well at night anyone else notice this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...On another note I noticed the rain sensing wipers don't work very well at night anyone else notice this.
Now that you mention it, I did notice the other night that the wipers weren't running often enough, considering the amount of moisture on the windshield...all I did was slide the switch toward the end of the stalk...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've found that I like to have the sensitivity of the wipers on 3 out of 4.

mrfly19

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Rain sensing wipers stoped working all together day or night, anyone else have this problem. Maybe this is why VW never turned them on.