1982 VW Diesel Pickup Info

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
I will be looking at a 1982 VW diesel pickup this afternoon and was just wondering if anyone has any information on these. I would be curious as to the value, fuel economy and parts availabilty as well as any other information anyone has to contribute. The asking price is $1800 and the owner claims that it is in good shape without a great deal of rust.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
For a good straight truck 1800 isn't bad, The 5-Speed trans gets ALOT better economy than the 4 Spd so look for this, typical for these to rust around the strut towers. 82 should have the revisions to the oil return and TTY headbolts that were issues in the earlier 1.6 and 1.5D motors. Hope you like it, I love mine, they are Handy little creatures and do great on fuel. Also if this truck has a bed liner take a peak under it to see if you have a rust situation there, this is the worst area on my truck.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
06SpiceRedTDI[B said:
Hope you like it, I love mine, they are Handy little creatures and do great on fuel.[/B]
......had mine for 23+ years; they grow on you. Fuel economy is big time. (Best ever was 54.5 enroute Oregon from Sacramento a few years back).
best, ez....

dubdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
This is my 1981. I can't add anything to the responses above, as they have handled all the problem areas. Just be prepared to be the recipient of a lot of questions. Good trucks are a rare commodity, and 1800 is an excellent price if it runs at all. They are simple to work on, fun to drive, and a real investment.:D