www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old February 15th, 2020, 15:17   #16
scrambld
Veteran Member

EA288.....EA288......EA288. It's time we see more for this engine! I'm thinking a 2056 might be a good choice for a quick spool and a nice power curve to the top. But I rely on suggestions mostly.
scrambld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2020, 15:38   #17
Owain@malonetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP View Post
Of course, supporting mods are always a requisite - and tend to end up adding up to be just as much as the main power upgrade.

What kind of power can be pulled out of a 2260? I'd really love to be as close to 300 whp as possible, with a good powerband for the track.

I think my biggest hang up about diving into serious power mods on this car is just the ROI in terms of horsepower. I always forget that the RPM's you can spin are the real limiter for TDI's. The specs on the 2260 seem to indicate it to be similarly sized to a IS38 off of an R... and I know you can make damn near 400 HP with one on a GTI, so it's a capable size.
Going to need injectors past ~220whp, especially for a shorter duration for track use (everything boils down to sustained EGTs). 2260 will do around 250, looking at a hybrid turbo, rods, pump, injectors, LSD, head studs, head porting, additional gauges etc. Wouldn't expect 300whp to be reliable long term on a stock cjaa block for endurance racing.

An OEM 2260 with injectors, LSD, and head porting would probably be the best route reliability wise. The powerband is flat from 3000-4500 rather than building like a gasser, it'd be faster than an equivalent gti. Newer gt25 non VGT like what boxeer is running would be better for a dedicated race car since turbine flow will be better and help manage EGTs, wider powerband up top.

Past ~35 psi and 125whp/L with a diesel the price goes way up and reliability is going to be questionable. People have done 500whp+ on the 3L BMWs with nitrous, how long they'll hold together is the real question.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 21:15   #18
Geobmx4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2005Golf TDI 50mpg...best 60

Oh great.../just bought a 2015 Highline wagon....last thing I needed to see
2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, .658 5th gear, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, FK coils, 18in Serrons. Frostheater
Geobmx4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 07:47   #19
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geobmx4life View Post
Oh great.../just bought a 2015 Highline wagon....last thing I needed to see
Your '15 has oval exhaust ports unfortunately, this kit only fits the round ports from '09-'14. If you get the right turbo and your own manifold, some of the bits of this kit will work.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTB2260vklr, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2020, 07:51   #20
Geobmx4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2005Golf TDI 50mpg...best 60
Default oh good

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
Your '15 has oval exhaust ports unfortunately, this kit only fits the round ports from '09-'14. If you get the right turbo and your own manifold, some of the bits of this kit will work.
Good to know, the temptation will be gone for a bit....
2005 Golf TDI, VNT 17, Malone stage 4, Spec stage 2 clutch, .658 5th gear, FMIC, Ventectomy, NewSouth gauges, BuzzKen 2.5 turbo back exhaust, Evolution Skidplate, Helix OEM Reps retrofitted with Morimoto Bixenon mini's, FK coils, 18in Serrons. Frostheater
Geobmx4life is offline   Reply With Quote