Jetta Limp Mode - No Codes

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
Has anyone got experience with limp mode and no codes? My car will limp from a start and clearing codes while driving unlocks normal boost and fueling operation, it lasts about 30 seconds and limps again, but still no codes.:confused:

Background:
- Recent full engine rebuild, all internals new
- Recent stage 2 tune from Malone
- Recent turbo replacements and upgrades

I had one day of normal operation after the turbo upgrade and feeling confident I changed the injectors. The next time driven it limped and it has been limping continuously even though I reverted the injectors.

Tune has MAF delete but MAF is new, with MAF tune also limps
Occurs on 2 Bar and 3 Bar map sensors, output looks normal either way

All sensors checked seem normal. The only code set is the fan since I have it bypassed.

Any help would be appreciated as I have a tune and turbo investment that I cannot use since it only limps and will not drive normally.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
C'mon tdi guys, any ideas? I hesitate to call this limp mode as the logging really only indicates poor fueling. Just took my son out for a drive and had him clear codes while driving - it fairly gives a kick in the pants when the codes are cleared - briefly. I loaded a stage 5 tune from Malone at the time. I have a Darkside gtb1749v turbo and when the codes are cleared it boosts like you wouldn't believe. But lasts about 30 s and goes back to a limp. Still no codes and no clue. I am seriously down to ECU as a thing to change because I can find no values remotely out of spec. This thing is killing me!!!!!!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
As the ECU is mainly monitoring emissions-related system failures there are several boost system failure modes that won't trigger a CEL.

Best bet: track down the excellent "diagnosing limp mode" in Canadian Grizzlies signature and follow it step-by-step.

First step will be to graph MAF actual-vs-requested during a 3rd gear pull and see what's actually happening to your boost.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
Thanks for the link - what a great thread for diagnosis. Canadian Grizzly has it going on! Unfortunately, since my car limps out of the gate, there is not much I can do regarding logging. Logs appear like you would expect limp mode to look like > under-fueling, low boost etc. I can clear the codes and the car takes off like a rocket. I have replaced or confirmed good all parts that would normally be suspect and am down to ECU/Software. There is no code set, no CEL, and no indication of a problem except the poor performance. In terms of troubleshooting for instance: I have ran Malone tunes with and without MAF and no difference.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
I am using VCDS, the only fault posted in the engine group is:
005746 - Coolant Fan Control 1
P1672 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 294010 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:03:57

I have been struggling with this issue for quite some time. Initially, after looking at the logs, Malone guys felt like it was the turbo and since I had installed a cheap chinese GT1646 clone I tended to agree. I changed to a Darkside GT1749VB (no big change in performance). When comparing logs to other BRM logs I can see that boost specified and boost actual are very close but fuel quantity is about half at the same rpm and load. Seems like limp mode. On a whim, though I had no codes but the fan present, I cleared the codes while driving and everything lit up, briefly...20+ pounds boost, super acceleration and some smoke out the tail pipe finally. This lasts about 20-30 seconds and then back to what seems like limp mode but no codes (except the fan) are posted.

I have considered that the fan bypass may be causing the limp condition but all research says this should be a non critical code. In addition, I had this bypass in place several years ago when the car was operating normally with an expected style of limp mode upon underboost etc. ie: a code was set and the limp mode would clear when the car is shut off and was permanently fixed when the mechanical root cause was addressed.

This is a real puzzle for me and I really appreciate your kind replies.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
Not the ECU. Installed a used from Malone and same scenario. Going to rig the feedback on the fan circuit next, then I guess I'm looking at the wiring harness and maybe the injector loom.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Has anyone got experience with limp mode and no codes? My car will limp from a start and clearing codes while driving unlocks normal boost and fueling operation, it lasts about 30 seconds and limps again, but still no codes.:confused:
-snip-

Any help would be appreciated as I have a tune and turbo investment that I cannot use since it only limps and will not drive normally.
I had a mystery limp mode issue once that I finally traced to a leak in the vacuum reservoir that is part of the valve cover. It did not throw codes, but would go into limp mode. The vacuum reservoir is comprised of a plastic cover glued over a depression in the main valve cover plastic casting. The glue in mine failed, resulting in a crack that leaked air into the vacuum reservoir. The super easy fix was silicone rubber applied to the joint all around. Problem solved for my case.

texadian

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM, DSG
Problem resolved: Malone guys had seen where an inferior connection at the injector harness can cause high error rate. Sure enough, I cleaned with 'De-Oxit' and reconnected - no more issue.

I think that is one diabolical piece of VW code! Limp but don't tell me why - nice.