DPF error and CEL on

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
I have an '09 jetta 129k and emissions recall done in August. This is my 2nd problem with car since having that fix. The first resulted in a throttle body being replaced. Happened 1 month after the fix but was told it wasn't related to emissions. 2nd problem started in January having Diesel Particulate warning show up and then a few days later check engine light came on. The dealer states it is a problem with the cooling fans not allowing the regen to happen, thus getting the DPF error. They claim it isn't covered under the emissions warranty and that we have to "start at replacing cooling fans". I haven't had this 2nd fix done because it is over $1200 and quite a blow to my budget. Is there any chance in arguing that it should be covered under emissions warranty.

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
m1289, I commented on one of your others posts regarding your DPF issue. Now that I have read this post I have additional comments.

The extended warranty literature includes the following "Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty - The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission"

It sounds like the cooling fans should be covered by the extended warranty to me.

Being a shade tree mechanic (in my spare time) it sounds like there might be an issue with a sensor or wiring issue not turning the fans on when the DPF regen starts. Try turning on your AC. Typically the fans should come on with the AC compressor as well. The dealer may have knocked something loose when performing the emissions modification. Check fuses, circuit breakers, wiring connections, etc....

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
The extended warranty literature includes the following "Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty - The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including any malfunctions detected by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related to the transmission"
I would tend to agree with this statement, and would start your argument with the dealer by saying that if it is in fact the cooling fan that is the problem, it is clearly a problem which has been detected by the OBD system and is therefore covered under the extended warranty.
I'd think you could also make a successful argument by saying that a DPF warning/inability to complete a regen is a clear failure of the exhaust gas after treatment system which is the first item listed in the extended warranty on page 9 of the Generation 1 Emissions Modification Pamphlet.

Edit: Not sure if your '09 requiered the TMU replacement, but either way, the warranty information for a non TMU '09 is essentially the same.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
^^+1
I completely agree with the above. The warranty pamphlet is very explicit on this; it's time your dealer actually reads it.

If your dealer is not the reading type, have him call the VW regional support. They might help you convince him that this is covered.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Be clear in communication that this is not the usual emissions warranty,

but a special case for diesel owners who had been lied to, and who agreed to give VW a second chance.

take the warranty booklet you have from the fix. and read it to the dealer.

talk calmly with the service manager. call "customer care".

and you deserve a refund for the first problem.

You also can consider contacting the lawyers for the settlement. They can tell you if they are involved with warranty claims post-fix.

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]275 Battery Street, 29th Floor[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]San Francisco, CA 94111-3339[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]www.lieffcabraser.com[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1](http://www.lieffcabraser.com/[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1])[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
Thank you all for your replies and support! I wanted to add the codes I am getting..P1946 coolant fan control module, P1A58 NOX catalytic converter, P2BA6 NOX exceedance. It says they verified voltage and ground at the fan control. And the left front inner cooler hose is leaking at both connections.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Sounds like the dealer needs help. they should pass the request up the line.

I want to guess that some of the codes may be post-fix specific.

Not sure why the intercooler hose is leaking, but this is not a good thing for these engines. the computer needs an accurate air mass flow reading, if boost air is leaking, too much fuel for the amount of air could be present in some cases, which would be passed into the egr and exhaust paths.

with the warranty provided, all this should be the dealer service department's problem, and not on your nickel.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
I called customer care this morning and they claim that the cooling fan isn't one of the covered components on the emission system. I'm arguing and they want me to take it back to the dealer for another diagnosis and to get a regional case manager involved. My argument was that the cooling fans are obviously related to the system and that the errors that I am getting (DPF and CEL) are part of the covered system. I also brought up the point that the warranty covers anything the OBD tool detects which is why I even knew about the problem - no other issue with the car, it drives but DFP and then CEL came on. DFP came on first which is directly on the covered system!!

At least should they cover the cost of the regen? Don't know quite what else to argue and might have to bring in my husband to get taken seriously.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The regional case manager is the right person to get involved.
Sorry about your bad experience with your dealer. I think many of us have had similar experiences of dealer incompetence. I've had to bring the car in several times for them to finally find the radio firmware update service bulletin in their system - bringing them the printout from the web did not help - , and then it still took them two days for a one hour update procedure, even though I had given them advance warning so they could review the firmware download procedure beforehand. Of course they did no such thing.

On another occasion, the dealer claimed that the exhaust flap is not part of the exhaust system covered under warranty. Of course it is, but initially I had to actually pay for the diagnosis (even though I told them what the diagnosis was) and pay for the repair, until VW eventually reimbursed me.

My impression, from personal experience and from what I read here, is that many VW dealers are not particularly good at doing their job.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
More info

Ok so doing more digging. At the time the recall was done they replaced all of this DPF, NOX catalyst, exhaust flap, egr filter, oxygen sensors, exhaust gas sensors, differential pressure sensors. Replaced glow plug control module. Replaced snow flap for a different open recall. Completed ABS module recall (software)replaced fuse F16 even though no damage present for open recall. Upon inspection vehicle is missing belly pan and air inlet piping and found radiator and fans not secured and rubbing on air box and boost pipe. It then says "customer approves replacing lower boost hose and securing fan". And then they recommended and replaced alternator pulley. States that they removed and replaced damaged boost hose. Fast forward to my diagnosis report that states Boost hose leak.....is this not just the same hose they replaced back in August (time of recall fix).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The way I see it is like this:

before performing the emissions modification, the dealer service department took care of some needed maintenance items. (and I bet you paid for these items.)

after the recall, VW is on the hook for any failure that causes a MIL. (check engine light).
This is well spelled-out in the dieselgate agreement, and a major incentive for owners to choose fix vs buyback of these cars.

If VW (corporate) thinks dealer error is the cause of later issues, it should be them who fights with the dealer.

Stay calm, yet assertive.

Last edited:

MM STL

TDI
2009 Jetta
M1289 I am also a newbie and owner of a 2009 Jetta with just 49k on it. Today is my 4th trip to the dealer here in St. Louis for recurrent P2002 codes (diesel particulate filter). I have a thread here on the forum if you were interested- anyway, just wanted to commiserate. Today, they tell me all the tests turned fine (again-they always do) but that my case has been escalated to a Level 2 tech that comes to St. Louis on Tuesday. So they're going to do a regen and I'll bring the car back next week. I love this car so I will continue to bring it back in until they finally figure this out!

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
When I had a problem with the fix I learned that there is a list of parts covered by the warranty. I was told this by VW cust care. Ask to get a copy of the list. What VW does not understand is that the warranty was put there to protect us from being screwed by VW yet again.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
Back at the dealer today. The person I was working with got fired yesterday! So that explains alot of my problems. Was working with a decent service manager today and by the end of the day they started to believe that this should be covered under warranty. Feel like a small battle is won. They fixed my cooling fans and still DFP light wouldn't go off. NOX sensor won't go enough to allow the regen. Bad news is they closed before they could finish fixing it and I have to make a other 2 hour trip to them next week. Will talk to regional manager tomorrow but already dealership is working better with me. They haven't charged me yet.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
Here's how my deal ended up. Dealer charged me $999.99 for the cooling fan replacements. VW customer service claims there are several OBD tools on the vehicle and the cooling fans are not on the OBD tool that the warranty is referring to. LAME. And a bunch of crap but I didn't argue further. They had my car for 3 days and had their top 2 mechanics working on it. So the cooling fans fix didn't allow the regen to occur. The NOX sensor still wouldn't go down low enough for the regen to happen. So they replaced it and then got another code which I will update when I get the paperwork back. They had to replace another part on the emissions system.

Bottom line - they did the emissions work under warranty. They would not cover the cooling fans under warranty. So this makes a cooling fan repair and a throttle body repair I've had to cover myself since the fix. My car is running like crap and I really don't feel good at all about keeping it :(.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I would have fought that "throttle body" replacement. To be honest if you came here and asked with the codes you had, (my guess P2015) we would have directed you to the Dieselgeek bracket and it would have been a $68 fix. I had it on my 2010 at 115K miles and not a code after.

Is there another VW specific shop around? Those fans are what $250 and R/R should be no more than $500. I fear the dealer is at the whim of VWoA and they have already put up a front and won't help you beyond tossing parts clearing CELs but willing to charge you for nice juicy shop time.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
Well I could fight the throttle body. I took it to a local shop who is not great at VW but has helped me out quite a bit. I didn't connect it with the emissions fix at all and they were probably unaware of the diesel fix too. They didn't tell me what code it was getting back then and it took them awhile to arrive at the throttle body. I've called them since and asked if they have record of what code it was throwing and they don't have it. So is warranty only covered on dealer work? Because it wasn't a dealer.

I know the fans could have been cheaper elsewhere. I'm 2 hours from the only VW dealer in the state (Iowa). My local shop wouldn't mess with this problem because of the regen required that they couldn't do. So that's why I just had them do the whole thing.

I posted the codes I was getting earlier in this thread. They were: P1946 coolant fan control module, P1A58 NOX catalytic converter, P2BA6 NOX exceedance.
There was a new one that came up after they took care of the P1A58 and that's the one I need to look at my paperwork for.

Last edited:

Leeshepard

TDI
2015 a3
Other ways of getting it covered

The warranty was part of a settlement with the FTC and the DOJ. If VW fails to fix what they are supposed to under warranty you could also file a complaint with the FTC.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
The warranty was part of a settlement with the FTC and the DOJ. If VW fails to fix what they are supposed to under warranty you could also file a complaint with the FTC.
Are you saying the cooling fans should be under warranty? They paid for the NOX sensor and all emissions system related fixes (was ~2k for that).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yes.

the warranty provided as part of the fix should cover anything that makes that light come on.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
According to VW customer care "there are multiple OBD tools in the system and cooling fans is not on the covered OBD Tool".

I accepted this statement, though believe it to be complete falsehood and them trying to get out of having to fix everything that shows up on OBD.

I am currently trying to sell my car. Done. :(

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
best of luck, life is too short, soon are you get a bitter taste in your mouth with a car, it'll never be right and you'll always kick yourself for investing more time and energy into it.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
life is too short to fill with stuff you do not want.

best wishes.

foranyth

TDI
2014 Jetta 2000 Bug
Have you found a clear definition or fix on the P2BA6 CODE? I have been trying to figure out this code on a 2014 TDi Jetta.