melted headlight bulb holder

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
A few months back the PS bulb died. I replaced it and motored on.
Today, it failed again, sigh...I opened up the headlight to find a total meltdown on the end of the bulbholder. ***? The bulb, though the base was a little melty, is still good.
Thankfully I still had a holder left in the parts car which I soldered in.
Any ideas why the melting?
I can't be the first to experience this, in fact, I believe it had happened to the DS side holder in this car when I bought it.
I guess that might be a clue although the DS has been okay since.:eek:

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Been there before. Wiring is really thin on these cars and some of the crimps are marginal, so as it ages gets more resistance and eventually crispifies. :)

wires oxidize from the air especially at the exposed ends, so because it starts out marginally sized...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
In electrical systems excess heat is generally caused by excess resistance, particularly in high-current situations.

Light bulbs are definitely a high-current situation... were the terminals on the bulb itself cleaned/sanded when you replaced the socket the first time?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
In electrical systems excess heat is generally caused by excess resistance, particularly in high-current situations.
Light bulbs are definitely a high-current situation... were the terminals on the bulb itself cleaned/sanded when you replaced the socket the first time?
If you mean by the first time socket replacement, the driver side, the answer is no.
I think I just popped new bulb in.
This time too I did not clean the terminals but I think I will go back and do just that.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If you mean by the first time socket replacement, the driver side, the answer is no.
I think I just popped new bulb in.
This time too I did not clean the terminals but I think I will go back and do just that.
Water is another source of increased resistance in electrical connections, so coolant contamination is a possibility sometimes, as posted above, but also just old puddles and rain. So a hunt for any ways that water could be entering that particular headlight housing might be worth a check as well.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I sanded the bulb terminals although they looked clean.
No obvious signs of h2o infiltration.
I will see if I can trace the wires back, although other than the melted holder, the wires still looked ok.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
The headlight is sealed, if you have rain where the bulb socket is, you got problems. So, no... Not puddles.

Another thing is to close up the spade terminals a bit with tiny long nose pliers

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i also wouldn't suggest "sanding" the terminal ends... the nickel? plating is much better there than removing it. remove it, and you get more corrosion in the long run. you either have a water/corrosive issue at the headlight. perhaps in the headlight (most likely) or at the seals for the wires going in. or somewhere along the line. it's a common problem, bad connections causing bulbs to burn out and melt the connections...

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
i also wouldn't suggest "sanding" the terminal ends... the nickel? plating is much better there than removing it. remove it, and you get more corrosion in the long run. you either have a water/corrosive issue at the headlight. perhaps in the headlight (most likely) or at the seals for the wires going in. or somewhere along the line. it's a common problem, bad connections causing bulbs to burn out and melt the connections...
The car lived in Florida for years before I bought it and it was a bit "mossy" when I finally got it so yes, there is likely corrosion hidden in the old girl:mad:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
The car lived in Florida for years before I bought it and it was a bit "mossy" when I finally got it so yes, there is likely corrosion hidden in the old girl:mad:
in my experience the worst offender is the D-connector going into the headlight. 2nd guess would be inside the headlight itself. 3rd guess would be a wild goose chase to find :)

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
in my experience the worst offender is the D-connector going into the headlight. 2nd guess would be inside the headlight itself. 3rd guess would be a wild goose chase to find :)
Electrical is not my strong suit at the best of times.:(