A different kind of EGR delete (ALH)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Not Likely.....Not nearly as sensitive as the delicate circuitry in chips and boards.
Chips are chips. Charging systems are electronic these days.
The more obvious solution is to isolate sensitive electronics (or just keep spares) in a 'Faraday cage".
I've got one on the shelf next to my emergency tinfoil hat!
Stop solenoid out engine will run until it has no fuel no alternator or battery required.
Just a lot of fuel.:rolleyes:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Just a lot of fuel.:rolleyes:
All the fuel cutoff solenoid does is push the rack (or metering valve) out of a no-fueling zone to the governor controlled idle position. What you seem to think of as a failure of the fuel cut solenoid is actually a stuck rack. Completely different failure. Or just an improperly installed fuel cut, improperly adjusted or assembled you can hang up the metering valve with the fuel cut solenoid in some IP designs.

But none of this has anything to do with the EGR system, now does it?
I'll make a thread on the IP swap when I get around to working on it. Only got 2 days a week with any free time lately, and my kind of projects involve a lot of shop time.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Great thread, love out of the box thinking.

As for the EGR being carboned so 2007, maybe you can fix mine, its plugged solid which is why I got it cheap. VW guy has 2 of them and yep, plugged solid. There is some new Luki? sic oil which is supposed to eliminate it but I guess time will tell.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Okay, an update.

Finally bought the dang thermostatic vacuum switch (Part # EC941, 180 degree F opening, 3/8" NPT, 3/16" lines) and made the T to put it in the coolant line feeding the EGR cooler.
Got an EGR valve off a ford ranger to use to control the exhaust flow through the cooler, and got it all adapted to the flanges on the EGR cooler.
Just gotta get the car in the air to drill the hole in the downpipe and weld up the EGR cooler's exhaust pipe to the down pipe. Probably do that tomorrow or tuesday if I'm not too tired after work.

Oh, on the IP shenanigans, I was able to figure out how to reflash the ECU using the cheap chinese cable after a lot of rage filled failures. I suppose my bosch MW mechanical pump will sit for now, until either my ECU or IP die of natural (or unnatural) causes.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Turns out it closes at 180 degrees, who knew?

Anyways, all pieced together. The EGR cooler is still pretty plugged up with carbon. Will have to rod it out when I flush out the coolant juice.

Well, it is summer now so it reaches operating temperature just sitting in the sun not even running or anything, so we'll have to wait a few months to see if it made any difference.

yesiamtom

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi 110 2003.
Great info thanks. Very interesting.

I'm looking at fitting a pd130/150 intake soon. How difficult would you say it is to fit the EGR cooler AS WELL (as EGR) to an ALH/ASV engine? I am wondering about the coolant hose routing to be honest.

I hate how long it takes for my car to get warm in the morning...I don't want it to take any longer.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Great info thanks. Very interesting.

I'm looking at fitting a pd130/150 intake soon. How difficult would you say it is to fit the EGR cooler AS WELL (as EGR) to an ALH/ASV engine? I am wondering about the coolant hose routing to be honest.

I hate how long it takes for my car to get warm in the morning...I don't want it to take any longer.
I'm not using the factory EGR for anything other than to funnel intake air into the intake.

I'm using a ford EGR to control exhaust flow through the cooler. I would like to use a larger valve for this purpose, but this is what was easily available at the junk yard.
I have not noticed any low boost issues since installing this.

This is an ALH. I don't know volkswagens too well, so PD130/150 and ASV mean nothing to me, just strings of letters and numbers.
The EGR cooler that was on this one is about 2.5" in diameter and probably 10" long.

Still haven't gotten the thing cleaned out yet. Just been driving and abusing the car for now.

yesiamtom

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi 110 2003.
So you had the EGR Cooler from the factory?

That's not something I was expecting.

Do you have any pictures of the coolant hose routing?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So as an update, having a 1.5lb cast iron ford EGR valve supported by one of the stock VW EGR pipes, and a 5/8" diameter stainless tube isn't enough support and the factory EGR tubes will crack off. Who knew.

EGR is just blocked off all together now and the cooler got removed. Thinking back on it now, I should have left the cooler attached to the exhaust manifold and coolant lines, with the blockoff plate on it. Then once it got cold I could just remove the blockoff plate and see if it made warmup significantly quicker. Proof of concept sorta thing. Ah well, it's done now and I've found other things to occupy the space behind the engine there.

Once the space behind the engine is occupied, I'll be working on the mechanical pump conversion. Different threads for both things will be made. Just adding some conclusion to the thread in case someone runs into it later on.

Trcoelho

TDI
Jetta MK4
Running with an EGR tune delete long term can completely plug the entire EGR and cooler system.
0km, I cleaned the turbo, intake, and entire the EGR system.
Had the EGR delete completed at that time.
30,000km later I replaced the timing belt and cleaned the intake manifold once again.
At 50,000km I have a failed turbo, intake manifold has less than 1mm of debris.
EGR cooler is plugged solid, EGR exhaust intake is also plugged solid.
Not sure what caused turbo failure, lost boost all at once, removed turbo housing and the vanes are moderately stiff to actuate, seals are good.
I'm wondering if I should replace the turbo and completely eliminate the egr and cooler system to avoid the potential of large chucks of coal flying into my turbo.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I noticed in the service history that they used the words "drilled out EGR cooler", so even running the normal tune you'll get the cooler plugged solid.

At the moment, I've got all the EGR cooler parts off the car, and a dirt simple bandsawed out of aluminum blockoff plate on the exhaust manifold.
I'd imagine that if soot was able to build up in the exhaust manifold side of the flange it'd still build up in the port leading to the flange on the exhaust manifold.

Driving easy or hard?
I noticed on mine that the cooler pipes were plugged up right down to the exhaust manifold, where the carbon buildup suddenly stopped. My bet is with enough heat from hard driving it makes the carbon break up.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I haven't had any EGR for years on my ALH, and it reaches 180F in about 5 miles from my house if I make a left down the hill, 1.5 if I hang a right (up the hill).. I don't block off my radiator or anything..

Sorry but this just seems really complicated lol.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I haven't had any EGR for years on my ALH, and it reaches 180F in about 5 miles from my house if I make a left down the hill, 1.5 if I hang a right (up the hill).. I don't block off my radiator or anything..

Sorry but this just seems really complicated lol.

Sorry. I call Bull for Fall, Winter, and Spring unless Port Jervis has Miami-like weather.

*bull flag thrown*