2004 TDI 1.9 BEW Loving Owner Seeks Help

mastern342

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI BEW
I have a BEW Engine Stock. First Diesel for me, and I have loved it. I recently ran into a Problem.

Engine Light. Loss of Power. Barely accelerated when floored, and made it home, max 45 MPH.

Immediately Thought MAF Sensor. Unplugged it, power returned immediately. Ok, replaced with Bosch unit. Immediately back to original issue. No Power, very bad performance.

Pulled BEW EGR Valve, Clogged. Cleaned well and replaced. Plugged back in MAF sensor. Same issue. Intake is really clean for having 200,000 miles.

If I sit in car, Turn on Key only. There is a screaming (whining) noise under hood near ERG Valve. Squealing. Engine is not running. Just key on.

So If I plug in MAF Sensor with cleaned EGR Valve, Very Low power over 25 MPH, extreme struggle. Unplug MAF sensor, MAX power. Excellent speed. Will put you back in seat.

Codes Thrown are
P2413-Unsure of this one?
p0402-Exhaust Gas Recir flow
P0101-Range/performance
P0864-Circuit code

Any help from community will be greatly appreciated. I want to do it myself, and enjoy working on cars. I can post pics if needed. I took a lot. THANKS!

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Sounds like the gears of the ASV (anti shudder valve) stripped . It is located next to the EGR valve. The sound you hear may be the little electric motor grinding on whats left of the gear. Prob need a new asv valve.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I changed that same ASV valve a few years ago. Engine shut down was not as smooth due to the stripped gears.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
^^^ and if the asv is stuck in the semi closed position there will be little airflow to keep the engine running. The reduced airflow would be registered by the ecu trough the maf and would not match the target airflow that should correspond to rpms, accelerator pedal position, etc, hence the cel..

mastern342

TDI
2004 1.9 TDI BEW
I appreciate the post from community. I have been doing a lot of research on this site. Want to re post in more appropriate area. Will try to find best place.

What I met by screaming is more of a whining? Electrical whining noise that is isolated to the ASV or Extremely near, and that only leaves EGR. Turn Key on and you hear the noise under hood. From ASV area. Car takes 3-4 Cycles to Start. On the 4th time it will start. If you plug in MAF sensor it starts first hit, but must unplug to drive over 20 mph. The whining will still remain for about 35 seconds after key is off. I have learned this may be the ASV Adjusting itself? But it is making movements with the valve inside if you pull the Boost hose. You can see valve turning back and forth, then shutting. Sound stops. I had a Boost leak, and purchased a Dog Collar from Kerma TDI to get that hose fixed. Can't find any Vacuum leaks?. Still running with plenty of power with No Plug on MAF Sensor. Turbo spins up well. The boost/Vacuum pump on right of engine had a loose hose connection, that was replaced. It still has some good pull for Vacuum. Would suck my pinky finger inside. But I don't have tools to gauge exact numbers. I love the car. And want it fixed. Would be happy to pay a Real "non-stealership" mechanic. But cannot find anyone to look at it.