Helicoil Trans Bracket

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I'd have no problem using that kit. Even if the inserts are mild steel they're stronger than the original material.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You don't need a brand name as long as the product is decent quality. I've used very similar kits a couple of times without problems.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
You would be better off getting a solid insert since those threads hold the weight of the engine trans combined, and the torque is "kinda high". Time-serts or Big-serts are good ones. I have a kit and sometimes install the serts for folks who send me their mounts. I also have mounts I can install serts in and send them to you and you can send yours back.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The helicoil is fine, except it's unavailable. We can get the kits and may even have one in stock. I'll check.

We don't see anything wrong with Helicoil or Recoil brand, except we stack the recoil and it's not the size of the ones in the usual kit. when we are done, there is about 20mm of threads in the hole.

The only time we've torn the recoils out is when we were using shorter ones. If you stack them, they last.

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
I've been getting differed opinions and I think I'm just going to retap and use a grade 8 bolt with no helicoil. Does anyone know what size to get if the original bolts are m12?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The problem with going larger is that you then need to open up the mating piece that the bolt fits through.

On my housemates' car, we installed a pair of Timesert sleeves after their son's lurching style of shifting managed to shake the engine hard enough to drop it down against the half shaft. The stock bolts don't have a lot of clearance in the holes that they fit through, before being screwed into the mounts.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If it were me, and it's not, I'd use a heli-coil or TimeSert or equal to keep the original size fastener. Whatever you use, check the spec for hold strength. In general a thread insert, properly installed, will be stronger than original. I'm always suspicious of anything from ebay or Amazon. You never know where they source their product, factory rejects or what. Usually works fine with a bit of research, but I've been burned. A machinist supply place should have something that won't break the bank.

Gippeto

TDI
2003 Jetta sedan
Going larger is a one time solution...next time the job needs to be done you'll be looking for a new mount. I understand budget constraints, but I've also had short cuts come back to bite me in the arse a few times...take that as you will. ;)

I've used EZ-lok inserts a few times and found them to work very well. If you've some tools, can drill and tap the hole, you can usually just get a couple inserts from a machine shop (the local shop does a lot of agricultural repair jobs).

Or just take the mount in and let them do it....it's not a big job.

Al

charlieruu

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic, 239,000 miles
Final post: If the bolt that goes from transmission mount to bracket is m12x1.5, do I buy an m12x1.5 tap even though the inner part of the helicoil is m12x1.5 and not the outer?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Helicoil taps are referenced by the original bolt size. If you want it to replace a m12x1.5 that's the kit you buy. Kits usually include some coils, a drill, a special tap and the installation tool.

The tap will be marked as "m12x1.5 Helicoil" or something similar.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
helicoil taps are referenced by the original bolt size. If you want it to replace a m12x1.5 that's the kit you buy. Kits usually include some coils, a drill, a special tap and the installation tool.

The tap will be marked as "m12x1.5 helicoil" or something similar.
this ^^^

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Here is the reason we always use Recoils (version of Helicoil). If you don't get it right, which does take a bit of practice, you can still use the TimeSert. But I'd have to tear up the Recoil first. And Recoils are a LOT cheaper than the TimeSert.

The other thing.. with the engine mount in place, we can install Recoils. That isn't going to work with TimeSerts. The mount comes off and you have to do TimeSerts on the bench.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I actually did a TimeSert on the car, in my housemate's 2.0 at least.
This required a hacked together vacuum extension to get down into the pocket and get the debris out, and using a correctly sized socket with a 12" extension to drive the tap and reamer, but it worked.

That said, on the bench would likely be a whole lot easier!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I actually did a TimeSert on the car, in my housemate's 2.0 at least.
This required a hacked together vacuum extension to get down into the pocket and get the debris out, and using a correctly sized socket with a 12" extension to drive the tap and reamer, but it worked.

That said, on the bench would likely be a whole lot easier!
Brake cleaner into the hole to get the debris out. It cleans it out two ways.

I've done a timesert in situ on a motor mount like that once. Obviously easier on a bench, but I had already final torqued one of the bolts. That's why I now multi stage tighten those bolts

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
The 'problem' with buying the kit is you might as well throw it away or sell it afterwards because the chances of having to use it again are slim. Can you not find someone local that has the equipment to do the repair. Heli-coils are OK, they are used in many applications even on new parts. I have stacked them before too in some circumstances.