Hard Brakes on 2002 jetta

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
So in the last week there was a couple fluke times where the brake pedal on my jetta was very stiff, and hard to push, slow reacting brakes. I know have have a bad abs sensor on the drivers side, but that has been like that for the last 100k miles. I took the large vacuum hose going from the vacuum pump to the brake booster and put a vacuum gauge on it, quickly it showed about 18psi, with the car idling, now the brakes are so bad it is hard to slow the car even under 10mph, so needless to say its staying parked.

Is there any chance this is not the expensive and fun to change brake booster? Brake booster hose is in good condition

rapidoxidationman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS automatic sedan
What am I missing?

If you're seeing 18psi on your vacuum guage and atmospheric pressure is 15psi, I'd guess your vacuum pump isn't working...

No vacuum, no boost, hard brakes.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
check the brake booster line from the Vac pump to the Master Cylinder, common know issue with a leak

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
... Vacuum -vs- Pressure

The concept of what we call a "vacuum" throws many and my guess is that your report of 18 psi is actually 18 inches of Hg on a vacuum gauge which is ~18/36 x 14.7 psi or ~7 to 8 psi "absolute". I think at idle 18"Hg "vacuum" is probably normal for the vacuum pump on a TDI. I know this would be the case for a Mercedes diesel vacuum pump.
It sounds like you need to go further testing/diagnosing your power brake system [PBS]. I would think the PBS' vacuum reservoir is properly holding vacuum... so I would look at components on the hydraulic side of this system.

I have invested in the 2-CD manual for the Jetta and IF you contact me via personal mail [PM] I will see IF I can help you with such diagnosis... after which [if we resolve the question/issue] you can/should POST the results on this THREAD.

Regards,
Sam Ross

Angus1

TDI
'15 GSW TDI 6MT
Did you put the gauge on the hose or the vac. Pump? If you put it directly on the pump and have good vacuum, then check again at the booster end of the hose. Check the hose real good. If you pulled it off pretty easily just go ahead and replace it, vacuum hose/ fuel line is pretty cheap.