Noisy TDI?

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 4motion Passat 5 speed 1.8t
im goign to look for it. I hope it is somewhere in the engine bay that I can work on. I have a question. If the valve controls the opening and closing, is it possible teh valve is fine and maybe its somethign else sticking?

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
It can be tha valve or the egr itself, but my bet its on the N18...

Its a bit hard to take it off, but as i said it doesnt hurt to swap it for the n18 ans see the diference...

If its like my case you will notice it imediatly.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Guys, I need to confirm I have teh rigth part. A few of us have different engines and cars and the terminology and setups are different.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, I just went to my car. 037 906 283 D. Thats the part number to what I think is the egr valve converter thing. I hose from there goes into the intake plenum where somethign else plugs in. A sensor maybe? Im trying to confirm.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
The valve on my car has a different number. It could be just a U.S. vs. Canada thing - not sure.

There's two solenoid valves mounted up on the firewall toward the passenger side. The valve to the right is the N75 for the turbo. The one just to the left of the N75 is this pressure valve than on ALH engines is an N18 and on PDs, something else.

That left valve is the one I'm talking about. I plugged in 037906283D into Impex and it lists a different valve for $83US.

I think we're getting on to something though.....Thanks to Bora115tdi.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If i was facing the car, my N75 would be on the right, and just inches away on the left, would be that valve. The mount is some what centred in the car. Remeber, i have a a4 pd1001.9. These parts could be slightly different for several reasons. Im goign to run the part number by my dealer.

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just spoke to the dealer. They say it is a exhaust recirculation solenoid. Or valve. Never sold it they said, and they gots none. what to do said the blind man to the deaf horse.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
That same part on my car is # 1J0906283C (the EGR Soenoid). Typical that the dealer hasn't a clue. At impex http://www.worldimpex.com/ the part is $17.64.

Hmmmmm....I'm trying to figure out what this converter valve is then. Impex doesn't have a picture of it - but I've emailed them for more details.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now I dont know which one does what, or which one to fix. BTW, every once in a while, my idle does bump up and down at a stop light, espeically when cold. Its normal sometimes, however, it does play inline with this issue.

Last edited:

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
Rememebr not to buy one before changing the n18 for you n75, that way you can diagnose the problem better and be really certain.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Well, if it's indeed the same affliction we're suffering from, I'd say that a bad valve (one of these solenoids or maybe the EGR assembly itself) could make this noise because they can cause bad air or exhaust flow in the intake and EGR/exhaust systems.

I'm going to try this:

After shutting down the engine, I'm going to unplug the EGR Valve and the two solenoids to the left of, but not including the N75.

The CEL will come on but I'm going to drive around for awhile, come back to the driveway and see what happens. If no more rythmic/oscillating (idle-about 1,200RPM) noise, then I'll know what the culprit is.

I'll try it this week.

Bora115 - we can't swap the N18 and N75 on NA PD engines, they're a different valve. They were the same on my ALH 2000 Golf though....

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
O.K. I've got my Bentley in front of me. The N75 is the first solenoid valve at the right. The next solenoid is the one that has the grey U.S.A. cap on it, and it's the EGR Cooler Switch-over valve (N345). The one you were talking about is left of that, the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) or (N316).

To the left of all of these, and part of the EGR assembly is the N18 that Bora115 speaks of. On ours it is electrically controlled. Just above and to the right of the upper timing belt cover is the plug for it.

I have a feeling that any one of these things sticking a little - may cause this noise. I have a theory that if we shut the engine off, all of these valves go to rest. Unplug them, start the engine and I think the EGR is effectively turned off. Maybe it'll stop the noise, who knows...

Leaving the N75 alone, I'm going to unplug the electrical connectors to these this week and see what happens........

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Let me know how that goes. Also, in theory, if teh car is on and it it unplugged, it should turn off, also makign the noise go away. Can you take a pic of what you ar etalkign about? My car is actign up again, and I want to sort thos out asap.

Thanks.

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
My car is a Pd and i changed the N18 for the N75 with exelente results, they are very similar valves.

As in the other case, a user from another forum was getting boost fluctuations and noisy idlle.

He changed the N18 for the N75 and the problems were gone and he first thought it was a faulty N75 so he bought one, but it was the N18, today he still uses 2 N75...lol

I have a Bora 115 pd and i have a N75 from the pd 130 and a new n18.

When i replaced the N18 all the noise (Like an old diesel truck) at idlle and the hiss disapeared as well as the bost fluctuations.

Before i was always replacing Maf´s now its the same for 25000km

I can garantee you can swap both valves without any harm to the engine or turbo.

Last edited:

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no clue what is what. I just plan to disable the egr and see if it stays closed and teh noise goes away. TDINJ, is the switch you are unplugging connected right into the EGR which sits right next to the turbo?

dave3dg

TDI
2003 A3 2.0 TDI SE
Do any of you learned M8's know if the valve swaps U are discussing applies to UK / Europe cars as my A3 does the same but I must say I was under the impression that the noise sounded a bit like the transmission groaning @ low revs?

regards,

dave3dg

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
I think it only does this when hot, or after running for awhile because the valves have been working. When you shut it off, or after it's been sitting off for awhile, then start it, the valves haven't had a chance to begin working much, if at all.

Mine does it in Park or Neutral also.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I disconnected what I thought was theEGR switch of some sort. Sound still there. I just realized that all the valves use the same intake hose. That means, if one is broken or contaminated, they all become affected.

BORA115TDI

TDI
TDI115/2000/SILVER
When i tried to eliminate the egr the hiss was still there same for the noise.

I will take pictures at my engine bay so i can show you the valves position..

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I dont have a hiss. Mine is a rumble/drone. The longer that it goes on for, the louder it is. Once I engage the clutch, it stops. If I switch gears and press teh gas, it rumbles vibrates untill I hit 2000rpm. I can hear it in 1, 2nd, 3rd and 4th now. At idle, its just louder when i tap teh pedal to 1200rpm. If I go above that, it stops. Only when car hot.

TDIMAXIMA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well as my problem has been getting louder, and some of the advice here hasn;t worked, i noticed one strange thing. Lately, when I go over a bump at slow speeds (so I can actually hear the car) my rumbling vibration sound is actually triggered. When I drive into my driveway as I do slowly because of the curb, it actually makes the sound. ONLY WHEN HOT. Any advice?

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
TDIMAXIMA said:
...Lately, when I go over a bump at slow speeds (so I can actually hear the car) my rumbling vibration sound is actually triggered. When I drive into my driveway as I do slowly because of the curb, it actually makes the sound. ONLY WHEN HOT. Any advice?
It sounds like the exhaust system is making contact with something.

Fliehigh

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport
TDIMAXIMA said:
Fliehigh, explain please.
Well my car is louder after I have run the car for awhile and it has been warmed up. When the car is cold it is relativily quiet. That is why I was asking if this could be isolated to the TDI sport.