FS 1996 Passat TDi Wagon B4V 1Z

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
!!! SOLD !!!!

Thanks for all your support in keeping this car running.

The Good
- Rust free (rescued from coastal New Jersey/Philadelphia in 2003)
- PP520 injectors installed <2000 miles ago, tuned by DriveBiWire shop
- Recent tires & brakes
- some suspension & all ball joints renewed at ~165,000
- Next timing belt due at 300,000 miles
- all maintenance and fluids are spec and current
- Full leather interior with working but worn heated seats
- Aftermarket stereo
- Weathertek floor mats
- comes with set of 4ea 16" tires/rims ready to mount
- euro headlight switch and Euro glass headlamp assemblies
- glass front fog lights
- rear fog light operated from headlight switch
- replaced relay 109
- 1-1/4 inch receiver with tow hitch and 7-pin wiring installed
- remote door lock installed
- Injector pump rebuilt at 175,000 with new seals
- ~about 38 MPG
- Cruise control works
- AC blows cold (but with foam chunks)
- rear hatch key opener is now working
- I have the sliding rear compartment cover & tracks
- power windows all work
- original turbo still boost great. Replaced diaphragm about 175,000 miles.

The Bad/Known issues
- peeling clearcoat, paint is dull but intact
- parking lot dings
- RF corner marker/reflector missing due to deer
- recently replaced passenger door handle is missing reverse threaded screw
- LF ABS sensor wire broken at steering knuckle, ABS warning lamp ON
- stained rear compartment: used to haul dogs and WVO in rear cargo area
- currently has torque-steer problem due to worn rubber bushings in suspension. Pulls left when accelerating but stops straight. In its present condition the car is driveable, but front end suspension needs this kit at $99.00
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1117

Car comes with metalnerd timing belt tools, and an injection pump 5-point socket, among other specialty tools.

New head installed, no more coolant leaks, engine runs great, driven about 6K miles since, Original ODO now at 274,xxx miles. Also installed a replacement matching door.

At time of head replacement: performed intake cleaning, & I instructed Shop to carefully inspect and they said timing belt looked in great condition at 30K in. It needs to be replaced at 300,000, or in about 22,000 miles.

Last edited:

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
Engine: In first picture you can see the new head shining through.

In third pic, you can see the Oilguard bypass filter peeking out next to the dipstick

Last edited:

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
Front headlights

Front passenger quarter panel, has slight dent from a deer, and corner light will not stay in place.

Passenger side

Rear passenger quarter view

Drivers side

Drivers side, rear quarter view

Front drivers side quarter view

Front hood clearcoat peel

Roof peel

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Wow, you really should take an hour or two and try to clean that up some inside. That looks horrible. The leather shouldn't be that hard to clean.

Or take it to a reconditioner and eat the $150 or so for a deep cleaning, it'll go a long way towards selling the car. Those of us who know the B4's know of the clearcoat issue, but there is no excuse for the inside looking like an old garage floor.

Also consider spending $30 on some generic 14" hubcaps to hide the two different wheels. It'll look a lot better and is amazing what some simple cosmetic changes will do.

Remove any extra debris for the photos. When people see stuff laying around it gives them the impression you don't care enough to remove them, so they start to wonder what other things on the car weren't cared about.

The lens that missing and won't stay in place should be reattached somehow, even if it's jerry-rigged. GTiTDi mentioned a method of using a spring to attach the light fixture, you might contact him about it. He said it was better than new and easily accessed. It'd look a lot cleaner then.

The one you linked to looks new by comparison, so it's not really a comparison.

I'm just trying to help out selling the car here, not to be overly critical. I have sold a few B4/B4V's in the last few years on my never ending march toward 'the one' and never had an issue, with the last one selling before I even listed it for sale. All of mine were mechanically perfect and up to date, however.

Last edited:

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
Thanks for your suggestions. I have been out of work for 8 months, so will do those that cost when I have more $.

Meanwhile, out to try attaching to corner marker.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Ouch, sorry to hear that.

If it comes with the other rims & tires, mount them up and consider the ones on the car now to be 'snow' wheels. It'll look a lot better since those are pretty sweet.

A little windex/simple green and some towels goes a long way to cleaning the interior.

The corner marker could even be tied into place with some wire, just be sure to let the future owner know about it. The fewer surprises they get the better it'll sell. When I sold my green wagon I took 85 photos and some videos of it running and posted a link to them. A guy flew up from TN and drove it home, sight unseen because of it. He said one of the things he appreciated were no surprises.

When I bought the new gray wagon in Canada it was also sight unseen. I trusted Windex from the boards here but also knew there were no surprises and didn't even question it. He made sure to let me know everything about it to make sure it was something I wanted.

One other thing people will ask is if it has ever been run on WVO and if so, for how long.

Good luck.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
Bummed to hear you have to part with your B4V! I've seen that car. It's nicer in person.

If you don't part with the rims I'd love to put those on my car next time I swing through WA!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Thanks for your suggestions. I have been out of work for 8 months, so will do those that cost when I have more $.

Meanwhile, out to try attaching to corner marker.
Try using some clear GE Silicone behind the side marker. It makes a great glue, and is totally weatherproof when it sets up.

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
I have 2 full price offers of $1000 for the car in Las Vegas. If you want to be considered please PM me and I will respond when the car becomes available again if the buyer falls through.

Howler

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI
It has been sold. The B4V has a new owner who I shipped the signed off title yesterday.

Thanks for all your help.