quality adjuster

selway

TDI
jetta 2003 wagon
If I set my quantity adjuster from 4 to 2 I know my engine well stumble at idle what are the signs if I go to far the other way by being to lean .Thankx

Last edited:

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Its quantity.

The numbers are inverse.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Too lean will cause harder starts but, you would have to adjust your quantity much higher to experience that...somewhere higher than 6-7 mg/str for a stock car.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You know, as I recall, this subject has been discussed in numerous Threads, but for the life of me, I just cannot accept the "fact" that the numbers are inverse of the numerical value.

When my engine is first fired-up, the quantity per stroke (whatever it's called) is a rather high number (5.0 or higher) and as it warms up the number settles down to 2.2 mg/str.

Doesn't a cold engine require more fuel and then leans out as it warms up? If so, why does the injection per stroke number drop as the engine warms up?

Rather another long discussion, if someone has a link that provides a good explanation as to why I cannot wrap my brain around this topic with clarity, please post.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If I set my quality adjuster from 4 to 2 I know my engine well stumble at idle what are the signs if I go to far the other way by being to lean .Thankx

Diesels cant run lean or rich in the seance that the term means for gas engines. you cant hurt a diesel going "lean or "rich, you either get less smoke or more smoke and fuel mileage suffers. You cant hurt anything, well unless you have a heavily modified injection, but thats another topic.

i have mine set at 1.2, thats ultra high. the values go from 0 to 9, 9 is lowest quantity injection and 0 being the highest. 3-5 is the usual place to set it to, but 2 ish is a fun zone, your fine at 2.0, if it goes a bit rough, bump it up to 2.4 or until it stops bucking at idle.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You know, as I recall, this subject has been discussed in numerous Threads, but for the life of me, I just cannot accept the "fact" that the numbers are inverse of the numerical value.

When my engine is first fired-up, the quantity per stroke (whatever it's called) is a rather high number (5.0 or higher) and as it warms up the number settles down to 2.2 mg/str.

Doesn't a cold engine require more fuel and then leans out as it warms up? If so, why does the injection per stroke number drop as the engine warms up?

Rather another long discussion, if someone has a link that provides a good explanation as to why I cannot wrap my brain around this topic with clarity, please post.
Idle fuel is determined by what it takes to maintain 930ish RPM. It will be the same amount after hammering as before.

If you bang the QA over so it idles at 2.2 the ECM thinks the feedback it's getting from the pump is for 5ish; therefore off idle it provides more fuel.

The inverse thing only applies to before/after the hammer mod. While running 5.0 is always more fuel than 2.2.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Theoretically you would want to raise the number as high as you can without causing a stumble at idle. With that said, you are likely to have to push deeper on the throttle to leave a stoplight , so the whole thing kind of becomes a wash so-to-speak.
Here is a bit of thought: my engine is tuned (see my sig) and I was sure the tune I was running should provide better FE than I was getting currently even after I added all the new hardware. I went back to my original Stage 3 tune and I lowered my IQ from 4.4 to 2.4 and my FE increased, and here is why I believe it happened: my new turbo at the same shaft RPM as my previous turbo moves a lot more pounds of air, and I was at the lean edge of the power curve. By increasing my fueling I needed to push less on the throttle to get the same engine response, thereby increasing my FE. I know to most this sounds like backwards logic when referring to a diesel engine, but if this engine were gasoline powered no one would even think twice about this "more fuel, better FE" engine response.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Where would you set IQ for best miles per gallon . thankx
My 2000 Jetta (no tune or mods) has been at 2.2 mg/str at 903 RPM at idle (fully warmed up engine) since I've owned it (44,991 miles to almost 370k miles now). I have all the fuel data in an Excel spreadsheet. It has averaged over 50 mpg. Now, I very seldom exceed 70 mph and have only had it to 4000 RPMs a few times. I generally shift at 32-3600 RPMs ... depending on the circumstances.

selway

TDI
jetta 2003 wagon
Well I tried to go to 5 and my fuel consumption went to .7lh moving it back to 4 it said .5 lh is this what is being used at idle and what happens when i'm diving at 70 miles and hour with the settings at 4 or 5 . or will 4 give me more speed between points than 5 (better acceleration ) .more fuel used would 5 be slower between points and use less fuel .

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What said .7lh? Liters per hour I assume?

If it's some sort of real time display it is probably using data from the QA which you have altered the calibration of by your adjusting the IQ.

It would only be accurate on a factory calibrated pump.

While driving, a higher number would be greater consumption than a lower number but comparing the numbers before and after moving the QA would be futile.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
RATS! I opened this thread hoping someone really had found the quality adjuster.
-Jason

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
For (cold) starts the IP will advance. This might have more effect than IQ, for starting.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I realize this is a QA discussion, but since we are talking FE what about the static timing set at idle on a warm engine? In theory more timing advance (within reason) will provide more power and FE, but since the ECU controls the engine timing off-idle, is more advance set at idle really going to make a huge difference in FE or top end HP?