www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 17th, 2018, 11:56   #16
spatuality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8L/100KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactdi View Post
Look into a 6SP manual transmission swap. I did, for a little more money than sourcing a used transmission, I purchased a kit from one of the vendors that posted conversion kits in the Vendor forum. Included everything but transmission
and brake fluid.
Can you please let me know who you got the swap kit from? Interested.

I might take this opportunity to throw in a 6sp and a lsd diff to cure the 1 wheel drive.

Even more interested in a reliable source for a transmission, and tips on how to know its any good before installation.
spatuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:08   #17
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

I ordered the conversion kit from Darkside Developments in the UK

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687

It does sound unusual to order the kit and parts from the UK, pay shipping, and wait, but the price was really not that far off sourcing items locally.
In my area, I would have to drive several hours to a recycle yard to pick up the transmission, may have had to source out the drive axles from a different yard,
order a new clutch and flywheel (SMF), and some misc bolts. Made sure I got the transmission mounts and shifter bracket, clutch lines, and starter from the recycle yard.

I am happy with the parts they supplied, yes, it was a leap of faith with them on the quality of the transmission. They did ship the transmission drained of fluid, their reasoning being, to help prevent a leak/mess during shipping, and to allow them to check the condition of the fluid, about the best anyone can do without opening up the gearbox.

They stood behind their products, when the shifter end to the transmission was too large, they sent another of the correct size, and when the CV joint was bad (only could tell once installed on the car and driven), they supplied a new joint for the drive axle.

Car drives and shifts great, I am waiting for the warmer weather and summer fuels to figure what the 6th gear gets me for MPG.

If you go with a 6SP upgrade, a few pointers.

The shift cable locating bracket on the transmission is different than the 5sp, you will need the 6sp bracket

You can reuse the 5sp cables and maybe the cable ends (depends on the size of the shifter pins on the 6sp trans).

The Golf Club shifter and secondary shifter on top of the trans is different between the 5sp and 6sp, obviously you will need the parts from the 6sp

Transmission mounts are different between the 5sp and 6sp, but the 6sp bolts to the chassis, just uses different size bolts.

The 6sp uses a clutch slave cylinder inside the transmission, you will not need the 5sp clutch slave, but you can make the clutch lines connect to the 6sp by straightening them out, or you can use the 6sp lines from the clutch master.

Read up on how to bleed the 6sp clutch slave, one suggestion I found was to fill the internal clutch line with fluid and cap before installing the transmission, helps to make the bleeding the air out easier.

Remove the output flanges on the 6sp transmission and plug the holes with a paper towel, prior to installing the transmission, helps to maneuver the trans around the control arm mounting points.

While the transmission is out, if the EGR cooler is leaking and needs replacing, now is the time to replace it, makes it much easier with the transmission and drive axles out of the way.
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 09:18   #18
Mattyoctavia
Veteran Member

Definitely need a new transmission. That’s the differential that’s failed there
Mattyoctavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 12:30   #19
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatuality View Post
Useful info:
2006 1.9L BRM 5M. 250k KM. Stock clutch/dmf has been rattling at idle for a couple years.
Not even CEL.
You drove it until the DMF failed even though you were given 2 years of fair warning. If it was the differential that failed the car would not move.

If you are going back with a SMF do not put a 6 speed in it. The syncros in a 6 speed are fragile and will not hold up well to a SMF. Besides that, there is no real advantage to having one more gear except if you just like to shift more often. The 5 speeds syncros do hold up very well to a SMF.

Why would a grenaded DMF set a CEL? There is nothing on the tranny or clutch that the ECU monitors.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 13:02   #20
spatuality
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactdi View Post
I ordered the conversion kit from Darkside Developments in the UK

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687
Thanks for the detail. This is super useful to know.

I knew about Darkside as a performance and turbo company, but I'll have a look at their transmission options.

I found a local mechanic that has a 5sp for $650 cad. Still have to wait on clutch, flywheel, and bolts, and it's more expensive than shipping a transmission from the UK. Probably won't get this local one.
Old February 18th, 2018, 13:18   #21
spatuality
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
You drove it until the DMF failed even though you were given 2 years of fair warning.

If you are going back with a SMF do not put a 6 speed in it. The syncros in a 6 speed are fragile and will not hold up well to a SMF.

Why would a grenaded DMF set a CEL? There is nothing on the tranny or clutch that the ECU monitors.
It was an occasional extra tick or rattle sound that wasn't consistent. More when it sat idle for a long time in traffic like at a border crossing. It would go weeks without a sound. Definitely not like a couple of the videos I've seen that rattle like a bag of marbles. A flywheel replacement was coming, but it didn't look like an explosive finale was so close.

Interesting info about the 6sp. They don't have the sam dmf issue, and get converted to smf?

Cel info just for completeness. In looking at other catastrophic failure threads, it looked like one of the most common questions.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming!

This is all new to me, and exceptionally helpful. I know theres other similar threads, but it always feels different when its you.
Old February 18th, 2018, 18:22   #22
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
You drove it until the DMF failed even though you were given 2 years of fair warning. If it was the differential that failed the car would not move.

If you are going back with a SMF do not put a 6 speed in it. The syncros in a 6 speed are fragile and will not hold up well to a SMF. Besides that, there is no real advantage to having one more gear except if you just like to shift more often. The 5 speeds syncros do hold up very well to a SMF.

According to the picture, that is a classic diff cross pin walk out failure. Been happening on VW 5 speeds for many years. There is a roll pin that holds the spider gear pin in and sometimes it shears and the pin comes out and punches a hole into the transmission.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 20:00   #23
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting info about the 6sp. They don't have the sam dmf issue, and get converted to smf?
Just that a 6 speed is a poor candidate for a SMF because the syncros on a 6 speed are kinda fragile.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
Old February 18th, 2018, 20:02   #24
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
According to the picture, that is a classic diff cross pin walk out failure. Been happening on VW 5 speeds for many years. There is a roll pin that holds the spider gear pin in and sometimes it shears and the pin comes out and punches a hole into the transmission.
My bad then. Sure explains why the OP didn't hear the classic sounds of a DMF heading for failure.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
Old May 15th, 2018, 14:13   #25
spatuality
Veteran Member

For completeness, here's a picture of inside the transmission bell housing.

Old May 16th, 2018, 14:24   #26
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
With all the fluid coming out, what else likely got hit to cause a leak?
Transmission input shaft seal, or a cracked gearbox.

Edit: Now that I've seen the picture, I guess the fluid is coming out of the gaping hole.

A welder could probably fix that, if nothing else is wrong. Or you just need to put a used transmission in it.

Last edited by Mike_04GolfTDI; May 16th, 2018 at 14:26.
Mike_04GolfTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:46   #27
spatuality
Veteran Member

I replaced the transmission with a scrap yard unit.

New smf and clutch also.

There was metal bits everywhere inside and outside the transmission.

Just too many possibilities for future problems. Though I'm sure there's a few parts in there that are usable.

Now I'm trying to figure out why the clutch pedal is clicking to the floor with no hydrolic pressure: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...86#post5408786

Anyone want a transmission 'core'? Near Toronto.