Need advice on selling my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon (South Carolina)

sccanuck

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I’m looking for opinions on selling my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon – how much in its current condition, or is it worth towing to a mechanic for a diagnosis first? I’ve read through a bunch of posts (including the ones for newbies like me) and it seems like similar cars have been sold or valued from about $700 to $1500. I would appreciate any thoughts on what to do next.
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
- 339,205 km/210,772 miles
- 5-speed manual
- Silver with black cloth interior
- Sunroof/Alloy wheels “PLX luxury package”
- VIN: WVWSP21J73W412473

Photos: http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=126663&title=2003-jetta-tdi-wagon&cat=500

It isn’t running. It gave up while my son was driving on the highway two days ago, wouldn’t accelerate past 65 then just petered out – the same thing happened a couple of years ago and resulted in a turbo actuator replacement (?). I’ve misplaced the records on that so I’m not positive what the repair was – I am waiting for a copy from the mechanic.

Last summer I was advised by my mechanic that it isn’t worth putting any more money into the car. So this time I had it towed straight home. I love this little car but it has turned into a money pit, so I'm inclined to agree with the latest mechanic.

History:
Purchased new in Ontario, Canada in spring 2003 (thus it has a kilometer-dominant speedometer) but moved to Florida in 2005, and now it lives in South Carolina. Always used synthetic oil and changes have only been done by qualified mechanics. 2010 was a bad year for my Jetta but a good year for a couple of mechanics – a timing belt and turbo unit replacements. I have the records on those repairs as well as minor repairs and most of the maintenance records.

Details:
- Timing belt replaced in 2010 at 158,000 km/98,000 miles
- Turbo unit replaced in 2010 at 165,000 km/102,000 miles
- Valve cover and vacuum pump gasket replaced in March 2017 at 288,000 km/179,000 miles
- New oil pan July 2017 (after an midnight encounter with road debris thrown from a lumber truck) at 316,000 km/196,000 miles
- Last brake service 2015 at 276,000 km/171,000 miles
- Shocks and struts in 2012 at 207,000 km/128,000 miles
- Tires are in good shape although two rear tires don’t match due to an emergency replacement of a non-repairable puncture in summer 2017
- No major body damage – a couple of rust spots and small dents
- No accidents

The Bad:
- A/C isn’t working and needs a high side valve
- Gear shift is a uncooperative when shifting from first to second gear
- Engine light has been on for several years, but my Florida VW mechanic told me it was related to glow plugs and not an issue in a temperate climate
- Only remaining key is the valet key (thanks, kids)
- Cassette tape player recently died (my son had been using an adapter to stream music through his phone) and the radio knobs are missing
- Front power plug is dead
- Passenger’s side seat heater isn’t working (driver’s side works)
- Driver side door doesn’t always want to open from the outside
- Sunroof won’t open
- The headliner is drooping
- Glove compartment latch is broken
- It’s been driven by my son from the ages of 17 to 25, with accompanying young man dirt and lack of regular cleaning
I'll post more and better photos on the weekend.

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
I'm very interested and right down the road on the other side of orangeburg.