www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 31st, 2018, 04:30   #1
Tony Soprano 1966

Default Golf MKV - Engine oil all leaked out!!

Hi guys,last night when I was about a mile from home,a check oil level light popped up with the alarm noise,and kept doing it until I got home.I assumed it must be a faulty oil pressure switch,but checked the oil level first just in case the oil level was low,only to find it was TOTALLY empty!! I mean not even a drop on the dipstick,now I know this is not due to lack of topping up,as I check it about once a month and it very rarely needs topping up.Looked like there was a fair bit of oil on the engine undertray,so guessing it must be leaking out somewhere?Meanwhile I topped up the oil,and will try and see if I can spot where it is coming from.Any ideas where the most likely points it could leak from would be?Could any damage to the engine have happened in that short distance I drove with the warning light on,and potentially zero oil in block?
Tony Soprano 1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 05:41   #2
relumalutan
Veteran Member

I cannot give you any advice in regard to where to look for leaks, but if the check oil level warning comes up, you should stop and turn off the engine right away.
Old January 31st, 2018, 05:46   #3
narongc73
Veteran Member

In this case, it wouldn't have made a difference. He was only a mile away. The oil level was probably pretty low before the warning. Just add oil and see if the level changes.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 06:21   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
In this case, it wouldn't have made a difference. He was only a mile away. The oil level was probably pretty low before the warning. Just add oil and see if the level changes.
I disagree. If there were catastrophic oil failure (leak), the engine could be damaged in a matter of a few hundred feet, depending on RPM and load.

Internet diagnosis of this scenario is dangerous, with way too many variables. OP needs to have it checked out.

Sadly, I think we can all empathize with the OP. With VW's record of random false warnings, it's easy to ignore any warning and think, "...I can make it home, it's only a mile...". Hopefully he'll not discover any real damage.

GOOD LUCK!
2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (39.5mpg C/H)
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 06:30   #5
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
I disagree. If there were catastrophic oil failure (leak), the engine could be damaged in a matter of a few hundred feet, depending on RPM and load.
Internet diagnosis of this scenario is dangerous, with way too many variables. OP needs to have it checked out.
Sadly, I think we can all empathize with the OP. With VW's record of random false warnings, it's easy to ignore any warning and think, "...I can make it home, it's only a mile...". Hopefully he'll not discover any real damage.
GOOD LUCK!
There was probably engine damage before the light came on, that was my point. It's nothing a used engine couldn't fix.
Old January 31st, 2018, 07:18   #6
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

Look at the oil pan for cracks, Turbo oil return and supply lines, oil cooler o rings.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 08:07   #7
Tony Soprano 1966

Thanks for your replies,It was probably more like half a mile actually,and the oil light did not stay on,it just came every few minutes,also it did not tell me to stop,only to check oil level.Are you saying that by the time this warning light comes on it is probably already too late?I thought the point of the warning was to let you know when the oil was low,not empty?After topping it off with oil,I started it up and all seems ok,no more warning light,how long before any signs of potential engine damage would show?Dont really have the gear here now to start getting under car etc,but did notice the EGR valve looked pretty oily,and the leak seems to be from rear of engine somewhere.Will have to get it checked out by my mechanic,luckily he is a very short drive from me,will update when I find the problem
Old January 31st, 2018, 08:54   #8
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano 1966 View Post
Thanks for your replies,It was probably more like half a mile actually,and the oil light did not stay on,it just came every few minutes,also it did not tell me to stop,only to check oil level.Are you saying that by the time this warning light comes on it is probably already too late?I thought the point of the warning was to let you know when the oil was low,not empty?After topping it off with oil,I started it up and all seems ok,no more warning light,how long before any signs of potential engine damage would show?Dont really have the gear here now to start getting under car etc,but did notice the EGR valve looked pretty oily,and the leak seems to be from rear of engine somewhere.Will have to get it checked out by my mechanic,luckily he is a very short drive from me,will update when I find the problem
It has to be really low for the light to come on. That's why you're suppose to check your oil level every time you fill up at the gas station.
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:21   #9
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

It's an oil PRESSURE gauge (idiot light), NOT an oil LEVEL gauge. The oil level can be quite low and still be building pressure, thus no warning light. as narongc73 said, it has to be quite low to trigger the low pressure light.
Hope you solve your problem.
Old February 18th, 2018, 03:05   #10
Tony Soprano 1966

Ok,turned out to be an easy fix guys.It was the rubber seal on the engine oil filter.
Must have been either a faulty one,or had worn out,or most likely had been incorrectly fitted.It was a Mann filter,so not a cheap copy.Does not seem to be any engine damage as a result of having very little oil in the engine,fingers crossed this old gal has many more miles in her
Old February 21st, 2018, 15:35   #11
meerschm
Veteran Member

great news

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:42   #12
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
It's an oil PRESSURE gauge (idiot light), NOT an oil LEVEL gauge. The oil level can be quite low and still be building pressure, thus no warning light. as narongc73 said, it has to be quite low to trigger the low pressure light.
Hope you solve your problem.
Besides you, who is saying it's an oil level gauge? What they were saying was that if the oil level gets too low the light will come on because of no oil pressure.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 12:49   #13
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Soprano 1966 View Post
Ok,turned out to be an easy fix guys.It was the rubber seal on the engine oil filter.
Must have been either a faulty one,or had worn out,or most likely had been incorrectly fitted.It was a Mann filter,so not a cheap copy.Does not seem to be any engine damage as a result of having very little oil in the engine,fingers crossed this old gal has many more miles in her
The most common mistake is having the o ring above the recess in the cap. Who did the last oil change?
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 14:48   #14
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

The oil pressure gauge only works above 2000rpms. Maybe thats why op didnt "see it on all the time" after it went on.

Other things to consider are that turbo and camshaft/cam bearings suffer first when engine is starved of oil.

And VW has offered a Oil level sensor in several markets that for some strange reason was not available in the US tdis.

This oil level sensor icon is amber on the dashboard. there is also a Oil level message on the MFD. The oil pressure icon is red on the dashboard (together with the "stop!" Message on the MFD)

Last edited by Carlos_TJ; February 22nd, 2018 at 18:49. Reason: Typo
Carlos_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 18:47   #15
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Rattler View Post
Besides you, who is saying it's an oil level gauge? What they were saying was that if the oil level gets too low the light will come on because of no oil pressure.
Uhh...How about the OP's very first line: "...a check oil level light popped up with the alarm noise..."????

...and the 2nd post:"... but if the check oil level warning comes up..."

Last edited by tdiatlast; February 22nd, 2018 at 18:49.