www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:02   #16
RevvitupTDI

TDI(s): '06 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
Also are you sure the brake reservoir line isn't clogged? Did you see fluid come out if you disconnect the line?
When I pull the line off fluid runs out, same with the lower line to the slave
RevvitupTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2018, 13:46   #17
RevvitupTDI

I pulled both lines off to double check that they were not clogged prior to the last post and reconnected everything. Pumped up the bleeder and got flow out of the bleeder screw closed closed it up when the air stopped. Had good pedal feel so I disconnected everything and lost the pedal right to the floor. Did this 3 times same result
Old February 22nd, 2018, 16:56   #18
narongc73
Veteran Member

it's not the slave. Did you replace the clutch line too? That's the only other thing left.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:47   #19
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

From what I found bleeding my slave cylinder, is that one only needs to crack the bleed screw very little, and a little fluid will flow out. If you open the bleed screw too much, air gets in through the threads, putting an air bubble back in the system.

Do you have a helper to press on the clutch pedal as you open the bleed screw? Try having the helper only press half way down on the clutch pedal, then open the bleed screw a little, until fluid flows out, then have the helper press all the way down, then close the bleed screw. Try this several times.

I found a trick on a forum (can't find that forum or the thread), to reverse bleed the clutch slave.
Since the brakes and the clutch share the same reservoir, I connected a tube between the front brake caliper (drivers side) bleed screw, and the clutch slave bleed screw. I opened both bleed screws, and pumped the brake pedal slowly to force fluid from the brake caliper into the clutch slave and up to the master cylinder, pushing the air bubbles up. After a number of pumps and ensured the tube between the caliper and slave was full of fluid, and that I felt the fluid had flowed up from the slave into the master, I closed both bleed screws, and then carefully removed the tube that was full of fluid.

This helped give me a solid clutch pedal.
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:31   #20
RevvitupTDI

whats happening is that when I have the motive pressure bleeder connected to the system I am currently getting a good flow of fluid with no sputtering or air escaping. the clutch pedal feels good when the motive bleeder is attached.

once I disconnect the pressure bleeder and depress the pedal it goes right to the floor. I'm getting good clean fluid out of the slave when the pressure bleeder is connected but I'm still getting a dead pedal
Old February 23rd, 2018, 09:40   #21
narongc73
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvitupTDI View Post
whats happening is that when I have the motive pressure bleeder connected to the system I am currently getting a good flow of fluid with no sputtering or air escaping. the clutch pedal feels good when the motive bleeder is attached.

once I disconnect the pressure bleeder and depress the pedal it goes right to the floor. I'm getting good clean fluid out of the slave when the pressure bleeder is connected but I'm still getting a dead pedal
It's really pretty basic. Either there is a leak somewhere or there air in the system. Don't know what to tell you.
narongc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 16:29   #22
RevvitupTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by narongc73 View Post
It's really pretty basic. Either there is a leak somewhere or there air in the system. Don't know what to tell you.
Yeah I know, I was just trying to rule out anything I may have been doing wrong through process of elimination and everyone's input helped me greatly throughout the process. Turns out my clutch and throw out bearing are toast too. Looks like I'm in for an expensive repair.

Thanks again for all the help, it was greatly appreciated