What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
DubvBenz:

I engine brake mostly when I exit the freeway. I want to hit the brake after I downshift like I do with a manual. If as you say ABS functions when not braking why does the Mercedes manual warn not to engine brake on slippery roads? At the least, I doubt the full power of the ABS and the many high tech systems integrated with it can be brought to bear when not stepping on the brake. And the Mercedes brakes, which you can read about above, are far more "autonomic" than any other car but the Google driverless car. Your far less than 30K prediction for 2015 E250 is based on? I think they will drop, but this is a state of the art car with a spotless record, it won't drop to a third it's MSRP one year out.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mpg

Here is my tank numbers:
18.4 G (or so the pump said)
583.9 miles (on Michelins not the OE runflats)
which is 31.7 MPG
My car said the MPG was 28.7 (pump was short?)
and my speed was 19 MPH (about it since it was 80% city)

My 2018 mpg is 33mpg combined city/highway

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, don't forget, it's so safe that it makes any current car as deadly as a corvair.
X2. It will brake itself if you're texting while you're rear-ending the next guy or a pedestrian, it will stay in lane and beep when you snooze, it will beep and brake if you are about to be rear ended, brake along with you if you aren't braking enough, etc. My car beeps when pedestrians approach, often before I see them. Plus there's the 11 airbags (non Takada), the 5 star crash tests, the 2 tons+, the new hi tech unibody, the cat like handling. I wacked my Jetta for more safety with this car. I now am talking to my radio/phone/navi (not looking). I have about 50% voice command control, especially the radio/phone. Some day I may read the manual and speech command 100%. If not I will learn my way to 100% soon enough. I taught myself to voice command what I frequently use so far.

Last edited:

DubvBenz

TDI
E320 Bluetec
X2. It will brake itself if you're texting while you're rear-ending the next guy or a pedestrian, it will stay in lane and beep when you snooze, it will beep and brake if you are about to be rear ended, brake along with you if you aren't braking enough, etc. My car beeps when pedestrians approach, often before I see them. Plus there's the 11 airbags (non Takada), the 5 star crash tests, the 2.5 tons, the new hi tech unibody, the cat like handling. I wacked my Jetta for more safety with this car. I now am talking to my radio/phone/navi (not looking). I have about 50% voice command control, especially the radio/phone. Some day I may read the manual and speech command 100%. If not I will learn my way to 100% soon enough. I taught myself to voice command what I frequently use so far.
You're the reason why I can't wait for autonomous cars. People like you should not be allowed to drive. Enjoy your 5000 lb E250! hahahahahah

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Curb weight is more like 4200 lbs, my mistake. Beyond that, I don't know what you mean.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I put my passenger seat-back down to carry skis. It's been down for a few days and I realize it's better down, I have a slight visibility block from the headrest. It's bad not having the seat to grab when I back up. And it doesn't look good. But seat is staying down. Flaw solved by a kludge, Doesn't ruin it, and fix is needed, the headrest was in the way. The car is about supreme driving still is.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
(Hit the first link in this article to skip/scroll down to 2017 please)

http://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/e-class

2017 E eclass: wider longer lighter stronger, new diesel, 9 speed, more autonomous braking/steering, bigger screen, bigger wheels. Here's hoping my life is so meaningless I feel like trading in my 15 just to get the shinier toy. The 17 moves into scary territory: it autonomously steers on quick turns when avoiding a pedestrian. More pants loading than mere lane steering during dozing off, this is steering when I just might be trying to delicately thread a target rich intersection. I can shut that "assistant" off if I want, right? Still thinking it'll be 2017 before I can actually buy a 2017 diesel. At least my loan will be about above water if I get prorates on my prepaid maintenance and extended warranties. Maybe this time I'll for sale it here first and try to transfer the warranties. Anybody thinking of buying a 15 when the 17s are here? Just curious, not selling it now at all. There must be some of you thinking of it, 8000 of you have viewed this thread in the 5 months it's here.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Now I see it. Looks OK, although I'm not a huge fan of how the traditional M-B shape is evolving. And we may not see a diesel. They just canceled the C300D for NA.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Now I see it. Looks OK, although I'm not a huge fan of how the traditional M-B shape is evolving. And we may not see a diesel. They just canceled the C300D for NA.
Looks on my 15 range from hideous to non-gagging if I look at it from a safe angle. The 2017 is laughably less a poop pile. It sure don't drive that way though. I don't know what a C300 is. The E250 is billed prominently with a new diesel. VW has put the stink back on diesels, which already weren't flying out the door if my dealer is any indication. Fingers crossed, but get a 15/16 just in case.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Heard the rumor that the C-class diesel has been cancelled. Any official statement from MB?
I was just repeating what IndigoBlueWagon said. There is a 2016 C300D according to my dealer, no info on 17.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's not on their web site, nor listed in future vehicles. I cannot find a release date. A co-worker said it has been canceled for the US, but I can't find an article confirming that.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.hbsslaw.com/cases/merce...gSgosVt-f4_h6RMh1ZjXgyKemLuwrMqa_QaAjda8P8HAQ

With this kind of headaches for Mercedes maybe they won't bring any more diesels here. Meanwhile the EPA hasn't announced any new test data beyond just saying Mercedes didn't fake the tests. This lawsuit may dig up some of the real world emissions numbers on NOX, but CO2 is 30% lower and that fact is staying put, with no soot and low CO2, Mercedes are clean. Maybe they are smoggier than flawed EPA testing found, not green house dirtier. I doubt this lawsuit will win, and I want Mercedes to keep bringing their diesels here. Note, unlike VW, this is a private lawsuit, no government attorney or agency is suing Mercedes because there's no wrong doing. The NOX levels were probably EPA data, not Mercedes claims. We are talking about flawed EPA tests, not misrepresentation.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-bottom-line/2016/02/diesel.html

In any case diesel car sales are down to 250 Jan 2016 from 9500 Jan 2015, they've nearly stopped. Meaning that Mercedes, BMW and etc and no VW/Audi all total 250. I'm glad I got mine in August, are they even for sale now really?

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-daimler-epa-emissions-idUSKCN0W10XE

This lawsuit is going nowhere. Under certain conditions SCR is less effective, and it's allowed by current regulation. Wheres the big crime? EPA may change the regulations and Mercedes will adjust in 2018. No VW-like situation, just better cars in 18. But again, with diesel car sales dead and law suit bogey men will MB bring more diesels over in 18? Even the market in Europe is in shock:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/a...-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
http://mbworld.org/articles/new-mercedes-benz-diesel-highlights-lighter-weight-more-power/

the 2018 are said to have an all new Bluetec engine. Maybe they'll win the lawsuit and the North American 2018 Bluetec will just come to
the Detroit Auto Show like "What me worry?" Time to get another 2015/16 before they stop making parts.

I'm 7 months and 7k miles into my 2015, and my only beef is lack of rear end collision warning of the 2016's Pre-safe Plus feature. It beeps and clamps on the brakes when it sees a
rearender coming. I toyed with trading in for it but the 20k bump was too much.

Wait for the 2015s to come off lease in August. Wait for the 2015s (not 2014s), they have an upgraded unibody that's safer. I wonder if the death of 2017s will increase the value and scarcity of the 2015/16 since people will hold onto to them? Quick check of new 2016 Bluetec on carguru, they are plentiful, cheaper than 2015 and looking to deal. I plan to go on a campaign to trade in for a 16 with Pre-safe Plus late this summer or fall.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
From the NY Times:

"The German Transport Ministry said it was ordering the recall of 630,000 diesel cars because they were programmed to turn down emissions controls in cold weather. However, the ministry said that except for Volkswagen, none of the companies had illegal software designed to produce artificially low emissions under test conditions. The brands whose vehicles are subject to recall include Mercedes-Benz, General Motors’ Opel unit, Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche.

Daimler, the maker of Mercedes vehicles, disclosed early Friday that it was under investigation by the United States Justice Department in connection with emissions testing. Daimler, based in Stuttgart, disclosed early Friday that it was conducting an internal investigation at the request of the United States Justice Department into the procedures it uses to certify exhaust emissions.

Jörg Howe, a spokesman for Daimler, said the company was cooperating with American authorities but declined to comment further.

The potential for Daimler’s Mercedes unit to become embroiled in a scandal of the same scope as Volkswagen is probably limited because it sells relatively few diesel vehicles in the United States.

Cars with diesel engines accounted for less than 3 percent of the 340,000 passenger vehicles that Mercedes sold in the United States last year."

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I read a review of the new e-Class in Car & Driver. Makes me realize I will probably never own a new Mercedes. They're totally unappealing now, becoming a German Buick, it seems.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Do you really think the diesel is in a different location than the gasser? One of the least changeable items in an auto platform is the engine mount locations.

This is from the C&D article that made me think Buick:

On a winding road, you’ll notice how tightly the seat hugs you before you’re aware that the steering is wholly unexceptional. As novel as its technology is and as competent as its mechanicals are, the E-class is perhaps best bought for its sumptuous interior, optional beautifully quilted and perforated leather, and crisp 12.3-inch infotainment screen.

I have no interest in buying a car for its self-driving, accident avoidance, and infotainment features.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tYgykD4R0

Look at the cone test. The steering is phenomenal, C&D is wrong. Again, unless Mercedes screwed up on the 2017 which I doubt. And yes depending on 4 or 6 cyl the engine is mounted behind or in front of the axle. What engine is tested in the C&D article they don't say.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Different car. And maneuvering through cones says nothing about how the steering feels.