05 Jetta Wagon. Limp Mode? Wont Shift. GOING CRAZY!

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
Hi All:

This won’t be short but please read and maybe you can help me.

I have a 05 Jetta Wagon, MK4 style with BEW 1.9 TDI motor and a triptonic automatic transmission. For the past year my car has acted, from what I'm told, likes it's going into limp mode.
I start the car, it runs great and then after awhile, rather quickly actually, it will not have any power. I'll floor the accelerator from a dead stop or entering a highway entrance ramp and the car just goes nowhere. Does not down shift into first like normally and I don’t feel that boost of the turbo nothing.

I was going downhill yesterday with the accelerator floored and the car would not shift till I hit 4,500 rpms and then it didn’t seem right. On a flat surface it will not shift at all and going uphill I’ll lose speed.

I can get the car to shift manually and it goes through the gears but once I shift it back to “D” it goes right back to the lower gear it was in when it wouldn’t shift. Make sense?

I went to my local trusted mechanic and we did a trace to the N75 actuator and everything seemed fine. I think it might be this.

We really ran into a dead end after that because it still did the same problem so I took the car to a shop I know of a (reputable garage. I trust them) two days ago to replace a faulty T-Stat and flush the heater core and check the limp issue. I did that yesterday. There was no check engine warning light or engine code when they put it on the scanner but it did read low turbo boost. We think its MAFS related.

Now here is the wrench in the mix. I unplug my Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) and the car runs perfect. I replaced two MAFS now and each one when plugged in the symptoms are back.
However these are not BOSCH OEM MAFS parts. These are aftermarket parts. This one here

The garage I took the car to were scratching their heads. I understand that there are tons of post on this same issue. But when my area trusted mechanic cant figure this out I decided to write here on the forum. I've read a lot of post on this but what confused me is why does this car run great when the MAFS is unplugged? I cant seem to get an answer.

With the MAFS plugged in the car has no power, the turbo will not boost or shift correctly.
When it’s unplugged the car runs fine. The only error codes I did have in the past were 19559-Intake flap manifold & 16683-boost pressure regulation.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

TDI4all

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5spd
Just from what I have read, those might be cheap Chinese knockoffs MAF's which is not recommended for you vehicle. Here are two REALLY trusted TDI Mechanics in Michigan, hope one is close to you:
Michigan

Marty Bergel (JetAAH)
9696 N. Nicholson Road
Fowlerville, MI 48836
(517) 927-6638
http://www.martinbergelllc.com/index.html

Kirk Blackmore "r90sKirk"
Rockford, Michigan
rockfordtdiguy@gmail.com

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
Yes Kirk Blackmore is a very nice guy. He is the one I trust to work on my TDI. Kirk and I can not figure this issue out. I even think he called Marty to pick his brain.

I cant afford to take it to any garage at $90 an hour to trace the issue so I'm on my own. I'm not even sure it is the MAF

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Wouldn't that throw a code? I called my local VW dealership and the parts guy that has been there for 14 years has never sold one for my car.

ROFL.... he's never sold a MAF for a Volkswagen? What, is he in the bathroom all day every day? LMAO!!!! :D

Bosch hot-film type MAFs are very high tech, and very fragile. Every manufacturer that uses them (Volkswagen, Subaru, Nissan, BMW, and others) has a need for replacing them from time to time.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Wouldn't that throw a code? I called my local VW dealership and the parts guy that has been there for 14 years has never sold one for my car.
Having had only ALH TDI cars (2000,2001,2003) each has had at least one bad MAF either when I bought it or sometime later, it's pretty common and none have thrown a code for it, except when they have been disconnected for test runs.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Where in Michigan are you? I have a MAF in my BEW that is about 2 years old. I can help you discard that cheap MAF for sure. LMK

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
This evening I went o my local trusted mechanic and he had an Bosch OEM MAF we installed and I took it for a test run. Within in two minutes I had the same symptoms. So the MAF sensor is not the problem.

oilhammer

TDI
And you have no DTCs stored?

Within 2 minutes.... does that mean the car ran fine up until then?

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
And you have no DTCs stored?
Within 2 minutes.... does that mean the car ran fine up until then?
After installation the car leaving the drive way performed as normal. I drove down the street to the stop sign, turned, and gave it throttle and had no acceleration. Everything I mentioned above was happening.
Sometimes it goes bad right away like this time, sometimes it takes a while. Mostly it will happen within 15 minutes.
We are going to order a N75 actuator just to try to mark that off the list. We are scratching our heads because with the MAF unplugged it should run just as bad yet it runs great.

oilhammer

TDI
If the boost is lower (or higher) than requested, the ECU will set a DTC. If there is no DTC, then you do not have low boost, at least, not low as far as the ECU is concerned.

If you drive the car with a suitable scan tool attached, you can graph both of these, as well as the MAF, and see if something is off. MAF should match actual and requested to properly control the EGR.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After installation the car leaving the drive way performed as normal. I drove down the street to the stop sign, turned, and gave it throttle and had no acceleration. Everything I mentioned above was happening.
Sometimes it goes bad right away like this time, sometimes it takes a while. Mostly it will happen within 15 minutes.
We are going to order a N75 actuator just to try to mark that off the list. We are scratching our heads because with the MAF unplugged it should run just as bad yet it runs great.
Sounds like the "known good" MAF maybe isn't.
As mentioned before, had three different (maybe more all together) MAFs fail in three different TDIs and none acted exactly the same.

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
Sounds like the "known good" MAF maybe isn't.
As mentioned before, had three different (maybe more all together) MAFs fail in three different TDIs and none acted exactly the same.
My TM bought this from ID Parts and has never had an issue with quality. I understand what you're saying however now I have tried three MAF's and none of them has corrected this issue so to think that's the issue I'm skeptical.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then perhaps I would be doing a VCDS log when running as OH suggested and/or carefully looking at the MAF connector, pins or wiring harness. There appears to be something in that scenario that when you have a working MAF connected that causes an issue.

jrank001

TDI
2005 GL Wagon Tiptronic
Then perhaps I would be doing a VCDS log when running as OH suggested and/or carefully looking at the MAF connector, pins or wiring harness. There appears to be something in that scenario that when you have a working MAF connected that causes an issue.
Yes that is a suggestion I'm working on how to make happen. I have the software but I need it updated to work on Windows 8.1. Then I need to learn how to use the software.
Overall for me this is frustrating. I'm not a technician but I need to learn how to do all this diagnostics.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
if the maf doesn't fix it, you probably have a failing battery providing intermittent ground, how old is it?

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
the battery is 4.5 years old, your symptoms align with my diagnosis and the car is ready for a new battery at this age anyways. yes, I think it's a good idea, or, if you have a buddy who will let you swap batteries with him, try that. don't cheap out on the battery, get it from the dealer

Last edited: