www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 31st, 2010, 09:56   #16
HeAvYfUeL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly signature --->

Year: 2009
Build Date: 03/09
Make/Model: Jetta Wagon/Comfortline
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 18200 km when problem started, currently 22000 km.
Diesel Fuel Source: Mix (Esso when the pressure regulator failed).
Additives: (Yes/No) PS somethimes.
Problem: HPFP pressure regulator faulty, replace for new one together with HPFP.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=283393
Dealer: VW Outaouais

Last edited by HeAvYfUeL; February 22nd, 2011 at 07:53. Reason: update Esso
HeAvYfUeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:19   #17
Steelyeyed

TDI(s): 2009 Jetta
Default HPFP catistrophic failure

Build Date:
Make/Model:Jetta
Mileage: 26260
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Additives: No
Problem: Dealer says HPFP failed contaminating entire fuel system
Dealer: MAG Dublin, Ohio
Status: Stalled/stopped no restart in middle of intersection on 8/12. Towed to dealer who reported "bad fuel". emailed VofA who have not responded. Still pending as on 9/1.
Steelyeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:54   #18
tdiregrets

TDI(s): 2009 jsw
Default 2009 JSE HPFP Failure

Build Date: Unknown
Make/Model: JSW, Salsa Red, Highline
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 45k
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell Gold
Problem: HPFP failed, in traffic. Accelerating away normally from stoplight
Link to your post if you posted somewhere else on the site
Dealer: Prefer not to say
Status: Looks like VW will cover under warranty...no mention of any attempt to have me take any of the cost. Actually VW and the dealer have been very responsive and owned the issue completely
tdiregrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 14:15   #19
Harvieux

Make/Model: JSW
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 32k
Diesel Fuel Source: Various
Problem: HPFP failed, in traffic while climbing the Grapevine just North of Los Angeles. Started to lose power and all of a sudden the engine just stopped. Extremely dangerous situation to where I was on the side of the freeway with vehicles whizzing by at high rates of speed.
Dealer: Valencia VW
Status: At dealer for 2 1/2 weeks now due to them saying the parts have to arrive from Germany.

This report is from a good customer of mine who lives in the Pasadena,CA area. I just repaired his NB TDI and I asked his permission to post this on his behalf. I told him to please report this to NHSTA and he said he absolutely will do so.

I actually warned this customer to hold off on the purchase back nearly 2 years ago however, it was already too late because he had already pulled the trigger.

I truly think this issue is extremely huge and going to get worse and worse as time goes on. Words can't explain how critical it is for people to report this to NHSTA. Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 10:00   #20
Roshermoore
Veteran Member

Default Test

How often has this happened? Got in the car Wednesday and the satellite radio display read "Linking" but no sound. I have the basic satellite radio in my 09 JSW. No navigation upgrade.

Dropped by my dealer Thursday and the service advisor said to bring it in Friday morning and they'd look at it. They called after about 2 hours Friday morning and said the receiver was bad and they'd had to replace it. Everything fine now. At least I found out where the receiver is located. (underneath passenger seat)

Has this occurred often?
09 Jetta Sportwagen, Blue Graphite Metallic, DSG, Sunroof, Rubber mats, Zeta Products body color side moldings, Body color door edge guards, VW front and rear Splash Guards, Clear rear bumper protector, 8" "Stubby" antenna. Build Date 11/08

Roshermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:31   #21
Phancey

Fuel Economy: 38-40

Been a TDI lurker since I bought the car in Oct 2008. Figured time for me to throw my Jetta on the pile of HPFP failures.

Car: 2009 Jetta TDI Automatic
Failure Date: 10/26/2010
Mileage: 56k
Fuel: Mostly Shell
Additives: never
Outcome: So far dealer is covering the cost except the battery they said was bad.

Details:
Car shut down at 55 mph going up hill with no warning and no dashlights. Failed to restart. Flatbed to dealer. They said battery shot. Battery replaced. Still won't start. Dealer said tank fuel pump failed. Tank fuel pump replaced. Still won't start. Dealer said HPFP failed. HPFP replaced. Still won't start. Dealer said common rail is bad. Common rail replaced. Still won't start. Dealer said other fuel lines bad. Fuel lines replaced. Still won't start. as of 11/4/2010.

Dealer scratching head still and talking to VW techs someplace. Even after I pointed them at this known issue. Opened up a NHTSA report since the car shut off so quickly with no warning and I could not move to the shoulder.

I will try to get part numbers.

Cheers
Phancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 17:56   #22
jsds

TDI(s): '09 Jetta

Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta tdi
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 41,115
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell 80%, BP 10%, Others 10%
Additives: recently started using Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Problem: During 40K service, the dealer/service tech noted that the fuel filter canister was rusted.
Dealer: Checkered Flag VW, Virginia Beach
Status: Vehicle was repaired under warranty: "Defective fuel injection pump. Performed GFF. Found fault P0191 Fuel Pressure Sensor, G247 Implausible Signal. Upon inspection of fuel filter, found rust in housing. Opened VTA ticket #xxxxxx. Replaced complete fuel system with the exception of line from tank to front of vehicle, which I cleaned as per techline."

I dropped the car off today for it's 40K service. Two hours later the SR called and said that there is rust in the fuel filter and other components of the system. He's supposed to call VOA on Monday to see what's going to happen.

Last edited by jsds; November 22nd, 2010 at 07:34. Reason: Vehicle was diagnosed and work completed
jsds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:56   #23
talbottw

Build Date: ?
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: AUTO
Mileage: 84,500
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, Liberty)
Additives: ?
Problem: HPFP failed, metal shavings throughout the fuel system
Dealer: (Virginia)
Status: (still pending, dealer is trying to assist, talking with VW rep to see if they'll fix ... right now cost is abpout 7700.00)
talbottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:32   #24
talbottw

Smile Update 2009 Jetta Status

Build Date: ?
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: AUTO
Mileage: 84,500
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, Liberty)
Additives: ?
Problem: HPFP failed, metal shavings throughout the fuel system
Dealer: Miller VW Winchester, Virginia
Status: VW has acknowledged they are aware of the problem with the HPFP, and has authorized the dealer to repair. VW is picking up most of the cost minus a 400.00 deductable due to high mileage. I can live with that.
talbottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 19:12   #25
ohcaptainron

Year:2010
Build Date:

Make/Model: TDI Sportwagon
Mileage: 12,000
Diesel Fuel Source: various
Additives: no
Problem: car lost power, followed by blinking glow plug and check engine lights
Link to your post if you posted somewhere else on the site
Dealer: Larry Miller VW Lakewood Co
Status: Just happened, car will be towed to the dearer ship tomorrow, will update
ohcaptainron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:20   #26
kevin73

Default 2011 Jetta Sportwagen HPFP failure

Year: 2011
Build Date: ? (bought it in late August 2010)
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: ~ 3000
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Problem: HPFP failed badly (see link below for description)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=297793&page=5
Dealer: Demontrond VW Houston Texas
Status: Still pending, fuel system parts ordered, VW testing fuel prior to repair. So far dealer is being cool and saying they are aware of the problem elsewhere.

Got the car back on Thursday morning (6 days from towing car to dealer with HPFP failure). Dealer (Demontrond Houston) said this is the 2nd TDI he has seen with this problem (don't know if this meant 2009-2011 engine or 2011 only...if you want I'll call back and ask....the service rep is cool). Below is an itemized list of repairs and hours to complete the repairs. After completing the repairs they said they "primed system and ran for several hours - test driven - no faults generated". Drove the car approximately 100 miles today and no issues.

List of repairs: Hours....Job(part item)

1) 0.40....Prep and Package Fuel Sample
2) 0.30....Replace Fuel Filter Assembly
3) 0.40....Replace Fuel Tank
4) 0.40....Replace Electrical Pump
5) 1.10....Clean and Flush Return Fuel Lines
6) 1.10....Clean and Flush Supply Fuel Lines
7) 1.90....R&I Fuel Tank (R&I?)
8) 0.30....Replace Supply Line
9) 1.30....Replace Pressure Regulating Valve Assembly
10) 1.30....Replace Distribution Rail
11) 2.50....Replace High Pressure Fuel Pump - Bosch
12) 2.50....Replace Fuel Injectors
13) 0.10....RTO (?)
14) 0.50....GFF (great-friends-forever charge?)
15) 1.00....Tech Check/Inspection.

That's all I got. Still love the car. Hope everything is cool. Texas Lemon Laws are awesome and if it fails again, I'll trade it for another TDI.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin73; November 19th, 2010 at 20:58. Reason: Final update on repairs-
kevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 14:55   #27
STL-JSW

TDI(s): None

Year:2010
Build Date:unknown (bought March 2010)
Make/Model:JSW-TDI
Mileage: 19950
Diesel Fuel Source: QuikTrip primarily
Problem: In for 20k mile checkup and dealer found metal flakes in the fuel system.
Dealer: Dean Team VW of Ballwin, MO
Status: Just diagnosed today. Dealer has car and says they will be replacing everything fuel related. Repairs are supposed to be finished this week. Love my dealership so far as they immediately put my wife in a suitable car and they have been great on previous encounters.

UPDATE:
Dealer called today and said that they think it was "just" some rust in the fuel filter which they replaced, and not the pump. They said, without prompting, that they've had 1 pump replacement before and they were worried this was the same thing. After investigating, they determined it's just the filter right now. Be assured I will be keeping all diesel receipts going forward. I'm also glad we got the extended warranty as we've put 20k in miles since March.
STL-JSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 13:35   #28
iwegian

Default High Pressure Fuel Pump failure

Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagon TDI

Mileage:25500
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell at home, on road mostly Shell. BP in the tank when it failed
Additives: (Yes/No) no
Problem: no problems, just returned from 750 mile round trip. Filled with BP ULSD at half tank. Previous was Murphy station. All Shell for 10 receipts before that. 25 miles after return flashing glow plug, wife was near an exit and able to limp off freeway while cars whizzed past. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: Boucher VW Franklin Wisconsin
Status: Still pending after they held up a coke bottle filled with "funny colored" Diesel fuel (my sample from tank was not funny colored) stating that means it will not be covered by VW. No testing done yet. Have called VWoA, filed with NHSTA. Last 2 fillups stations told about "contamination" they report no other complaints. Holding off on Attorney General and BBB etc until I hear from VWoA. Am already warning everyone I know, getting many horror stories from coworkers etc of VW weaseling out of warranty work. Too bad. Great car...but I don't trust this car anymore...not to mention VW
iwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 22:39   #29
GoZoom

Fuel Economy: 46, 43
Default My poor 2009

2009 TDI Sedan
QFC Fuel
Camano Island, WA
Kar Mart VW
Car is at Dealer...
They have 4 others and several dealers are reporting the same issues.

Stalled after idling... hard starting... quit (3 times)... now runs not great and fuel economy off 10 mpg... from 44 mpg to 34 mpg
GoZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:06   #30
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

GoZoom: Please clarify. If your issue isn't an HPFP failure, please remove your post.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2014 Cadillac ELR, purchased 3/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote