Remote lock/unlock working distance?

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
The distance range to lock/unlock my Passat is about 2 car lengths (say 30 feet). The battery has been changed twice (once by me and once by a service advisor) and it does not make a difference. Is it normal? How far does your remote lock/unlock function work?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Subscribed...

I've seen DIY's for extending the antenna length, but none detailed enough that would give me confidence to do it myself, but, I too notice the distance quite short and would like it longer.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Not a whole lot farther than that, if any. I also wish the horn beeped just a little bit louder too. Not enough to be obnoxious to neighbors, but I sometimes have to double-check that it beeped to verify that the doors locked when I'm within distance of the remote. What I'm dreading is having to get another fob. We only got one plus the valet key when we bought the car, and I know the fobs are a couple hundred bucks. I still don't understand what the remedy is in the class-action suit against VW here in the U.S. I got notice about it, but there's no remedy to sign up for that I can tell. Wish it were a free fob or something.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
That's about all the farther my works. I don't notice the horn beep but my lights flash so I've gotten used to looking at the turn signals for them to flash when locking/unlocking.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Remote distance

To increase distance: Touch Key fob under chin, point toward car, push unlock:D Don't laugh-it works!:cool:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Yes, it does. It roughly doubles the distance. You'll look like an idiot and probably be cooking your eyeballs, but it does work.
Walk away from the car setting and unlocking as you go. At some point you'll be out of range. Look at the car, point the fob vertically, hold it touching just behind your lower jaw bone and see if the car still sets and unlocks.
Bet it does.
One problem is with the 30 second timer to open the door before it self-relocks. The increased operating distance might mean you'll have to run to get to the door in time. (slight exaggeration, but not by much)

How far does your remote lock/unlock function work?
update: About 200+ feet, while two stories up and looking through a window, all by using the 'brain fry' method. Sticking my arm and remote out that window and pointing it at the car does nothing.

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I am wondering if its the same problem as with the Audi A4's, A6's etc. The antena is run horizontal along the bottom of the rear seat in the Audi's. I have not moved my antenna yet, but apparently they work great by just changing it to running vertically up the back of the seat.

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
Yes, the "brain fry" method works. However, I finally found my brand spanking new spare key FOB. It works far better than the one I've been. This "still new" spare FOB range is about 40 meters which is very acceptable. I no longer need to deploy the "brain fry" method to increase the range. I guess I picked the wrong FOB to use 4.5 years ago. I just happen to have a somewhat defective FOB with a short range.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
Interestingly, the fob battery died as of today and I stumbled on those above links while searching for the how-to on fob battery replacement. Can anyone confirm that the B5.5 fobs (i.e., fobs from 2004 & 2005) take the single larger CR2032 battery, or do we have the 2 smaller batteries in our fobs? Just want to make sure before I pick up a replacement. I'd prefer to buy the replacement battery first rather than pop the thing apart and then go try to find a place with the battery in stock.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Zambee500 said:
Interestingly, the fob battery died as of today and I stumbled on those above links while searching for the how-to on fob battery replacement. Can anyone confirm that the B5.5 fobs (i.e., fobs from 2004 & 2005) take the single larger CR2032 battery, or do we have the 2 smaller batteries in our fobs? Just want to make sure before I pick up a replacement. I'd prefer to buy the replacement battery first rather than pop the thing apart and then go try to find a place with the battery in stock.
I sure hope its the CR3202, as that is a dirt common battery. Its the same battery my GM saturn fobs use, my computer motherboard among other things.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
leicaman said:
I sure hope its the CR3202, as that is a dirt common battery. Its the same battery my GM saturn fobs use, my computer motherboard among other things.
uh, oh. The PDF how-to says CR2032. Here's the link, but it's a somewhat large download: http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/schnabba/a4remote_new_print.pdf. It's linked on the "how to" page - if you "Ctrl + F" the word "battery" on that page I think it's the second hit.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I did mine on the Jetta and wondered if it would actually work, now I can lock the car from about 200' great FREE mod if the same can be done to your Passats.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can add a longer antenna to the CCM, it makes my remote work from across the parking lot... and they both still have the original 1999 batteries in them!

-Jason

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
leicaman said:
It is a CR2032. Only up to early A4 platform did they use two CR1620s. If you want to maximize your cost you can ask for part number N 105 283 01. ;)

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
MOGolf said:
It is a CR2032. Only up to early A4 platform did they use two CR1620s. If you want to maximize your cost you can ask for part number N 105 283 01. ;)
It's indeed CR2032. What a simple replacement that was. Took me 3 or 4 minutes the first time. $3.59 at Target for 1 battery; $4.69 for a 2-pack. Be sure to check behind both the electronics counter and the jewelry counter. Since we don't have the second key fob (been meaning to get one or two from World Impex), I bought the 1-pack figuring I'd lose the second one before this replacement dies. Sweet. This place has saved me so much money on the nickel & diming of the dealerships.....$70 to replace the HVAC switch light-bulb. I'm sure they charge $40 to change the fob battery.

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Has anyone actually performed this mod on a Passat? Did you find the antenna wire? Can you splice it or is it better to remove it?
Bump. Anyone know where the antenna is? I looked at the relay panel this weekend and couldn't find anything. My fob working distance is down to about 5'. new batteries, brain fry method, nothing has worked yet so I want to try the antenna mod. Thanks!

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
second bump for the antenna location on the b5.5. 1 remote works from 10+ feet - the other I have to touch the windshield to work. Probably more a problem with the remote than antenna if 1 works and the other doesn't but would like to extend the range on at least 1...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It goes from the control module (postion 10 and 7 (shielding) of the 15 position connector) under the carpet in the left side foot well, through the wiring harness and then up the A pillar on the right side.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I think it's on the drivers side under the dash. Basically just to the left of the driver's left foot (probably right side, and right foot in UK).
<edit I'll defer to MoGolf. The B4 has it on the driver's foot area. The B5.5 I haven't needed to locate. end>

Tried the 'chin' method? Don't ask me why, but it works. I get about 50 feet without, over 150 feet range when pointing the remote at my chin while looking directly at the car.
Probably fried my brains even more, but it's far enough that it can re-lock before I can stroll to the car to open a door.

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
Remote Range Fixed

http://forums.generationdub.com/showthread.php?t=33648

You can find these instructions for extending the range of your remote. The concept of the remote being the problem is unlikely. The receiver (CCM) and it's antenna are most likely.

In looking at the aforementioned cable, a tan coloured plug harness going into the CCM, I noticed there was no wire in the harness for the antenna. For mine, it was the top of the plug, 3rd pin from the left. A simple removal of the plug allowed me to put a wire with a female connector on it and immediately saw remote range increase.

When I stopped in at my mechanics, I picked up a wire with 2 female wiring harness plugs on either end. I simply installed this wire into the harness, cut it in half (about 14" total), then stripped about 1 inch off and terminated it to the common ground. I'll show some pictures later.

Basically the whole ground of the car should be the antenna now. Saves me from having to run a ridiculous amout of wire all over the car.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
this wire is shielded to prevent stray noise from opening your car, pinning 10 to the chassis may work but with all the frequencies in the air don't be surprised if one day you walk to your car and its unlocked

I would find the ant end in the A pillar, add 3 ft to it and tuck it under the headliner

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
this wire is shielded to prevent stray noise from opening your car, pinning 10 to the chassis may work but with all the frequencies in the air don't be surprised if one day you walk to your car and its unlocked

I would find the ant end in the A pillar, add 3 ft to it and tuck it under the headliner

The fact that you think some stray frequencies are going to magically unlock my car is ridiculous. Remotes have to be paired to the CCM. otherwise the 15 other remotes I have around would have done so by now. For the record, the upgrade I performed saw my range peak to 80 ft which is more than adequate.

This is the view of the CCM module, TAN coloured plug is where the antenna wire is supposed to go. The stray yellow wire is the newly placed
antenna wire.

Closeup of the plug, you can see the 3rd plug from the left on the top row is for the remote line

Ground terminal connection nearby the CCM module,
I terminated the wire here:

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
the CCM is only looking at pin 10, it could care less where your remote is or what remote its paired with.

When you go to Arizona and pick up a nice charge walking thru a parking lot, your body and cloths discharge thru your door handle, pin 10 will be happy, put a charger on your battery, put the + on first.

short anything to your chassis

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
mine is 48" works fine, I Ran it up across the headliner, 4'' is taped to the window behind the rearview mirror

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I had gone in and spliced a wire unto the Yellow with a male and female spade connector, then took about 6 feet of wire up the A pillar, across the headliner (tucked underneath the fabric) and down the B pillar about halfway. Seems to be operating correctly. Range is still holding up at 80 ft or more except when I try pointing from the front.