Bad Fuel Injectors, Nozzles or Mexican Fuel??

Yaco

TDI
1998 VW
I drove my 98 TDI to Mexico. I am being told by VW in Guadalajara that the injectors need to be replaced. The check engine light is on. I noticed a sudden loss of power when I was trying to pass a truck with a lot of black smoke out the back. The power loss is not as much as when the turbo has died, but it noticeable on the hills. I have been very good about using Techron in the tank. The car has 230k on it. Could the injectors be clogged? Is it the injectors or the nozzles that might be bad? Generally do you replace all four or just the bad one? The fuel here is not good, should I be using an additive.

Thanks

cage

Top Post Dawg
People here say that the nozzles should be replaced at the 100,000 mi mark. I'm sure the injectors themselves are fine.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Is the idle rough? Is it like its pinging or knocking? With that many miles yes, the nozzles need to be replaced. Its a gradual thing though, and you may have another problem.
You can get the nozzles replaced pretty easily. As long as the place can replace injectors and has a vice and 15mm deep socket you're set.

Yaco

TDI
1998 VW
Thanks for your responses.

The idle may be a little rough, but not anything very noticeable. I am wondering if the MAF might be a possibility here. I changed it 4K ago. Would the check engine light go on with an MAF issue? What kind of vacuum issue might I be dealing with.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
So it sounds like the power loss is most pronounced under a load, while going uphill.

How long has it been since you replaced the fuel filter?
When was the intake last cleaned?

I have not heard of anyone using Techron on TDIs. If you can get your hands on some, try using Diesel Purge. There is a recent How To:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948&highlight=Diesel+Purge+how+to

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Techron is not the best choice for a diesel.

With a sudden loss of power and black smoke, I would be looking at the large black hose that connects to the intake manifold. It probably has a split in it. Classic symptoms.

With a 98 TDI, I would replace all the vacuum hoses, preferably with silicone. That includes the hose INSIDE the ECU. They're old and hardened. Don't check them, change them.