Are glow plug lights supposed to turn on when you first put the key in?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Stupid / simple question for a TDI newb... I got a 1997 AHU Jetta with a "colorful" history. The bozo who previously owned it installed a push-button start that bypassed the glow plug relay and alarm system because he probably got too lazy to replace the ignition switch when it went bad. So now I'm waiting on a new ignition switch from ECS...

The glow plug relay clicks when I turn the key to crank the engine, but there is no starter crank or start.So the relay is functional. Fuse on the relay is also good. But, I see no glow plug lights on anywhere when I initially put the key in and turn the car on. I can't test if it's an ignition switch problem until I put the new one in.

Am I missing something? I thought glow plugs are supposed to come on briefly in the dash whenever the car turns on, regardless of whether the glow plugs are needed for initial ignition. Would the cause of this be because of a bad relay or something else?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No, onmly when you hold it in the ON posistion, you will see a glow light come on.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
You should see the Light for the Glow plugs come on when you turn the key to the on position (Not cranking). May have to see what else the Bozo did. The prev owner for my car had a push button start also, so I feel your pain.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
You should see the Light for the Glow plugs come on when you turn the key to the on position (Not cranking). May have to see what else the Bozo did. The prev owner for my car had a push button start also, so I feel your pain.
The plot thickens, because I just realized I have a gasser cluster in my car! That would explain the lack of glow plug light. D'oh! Time to source a TDI cluster.