EUH transmission swap

dmljetta

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have a 2004 TDI Jetta Wagon with a NFG EUH transmission. Been told the ALH will bolt on but has different sensor plugs and different 5th gear. Told the 'driveability' remains pretty much the same. The ALH units appear to be more available and cheaper. Can anyone confirm or point out the differences or if this should not be done and/or provide some advise on where to go from here. Car has 265000 kms. Thanks. dmljetta

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
I think you are confusing things or I am.
Are you thinking of installing a different engine (ALH)? or the transmission that comes with the ALH engine which is a 01M transmission? If so, you are taking a step backward. For one, the 01M is a 4 speed automatic and second it is not known for its longevity.

What is wrong with the EUH?

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Sounds like he has a bad 02J EUH code and he is seeing if he can bolt on a ALH 02J(EGR,EJB, DQY, ect) to his car.

If that's the case, yes the trans will bolt straight in without issues, but 5th gear is slightly shorter on the ALH transmissions. It might cause cruse control issues or it might now. The difference is slight so I honestly double it would cause an issue but I could be wrong.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
DOH!!!! I AM confused ....sorry about that.

94x

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2002 CTD w/12 valve, 2003 GTI w/ALH
I have done this swap - EUH to EGR. The EUH shift tower needs to be swapped. I installed the EUH 5th gear in the EGR. No problems with cruise control after the swap.

dmljetta

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Thanks all...yes I have the codes mixed up as I am new to engine & transmission codes. I do want to install the EGR. Bearings are gone...shafts on both sides move when you grab one side or the other. I've been told changing the sensors can be a challenge & that I should be prepared to buy new sensors. Looks like we'll try the EGR swap.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Might be easier just to replace the diff bearings.
from my experience when diff bearings are bad the rest of the bearings have pitting and wear from metal particles the failed diff bearings deposit in the oil ... complete bearing kit by itself can run more than a good used tdi box ...if you get an EGR trans from a late alh you won't need to swap anything... if you get a dqy you'll need to swap towers... the fifth gear difference between the ALH boxes and the EUH is negligible and will not affect the BEW cruise control operation

TonganDiesel

TDI
2000 Black 5 speed manual 234k miles, 2002 Black auto Jetta 309K miles
EUH swap

I have done this swap - EUH to EGR. The EUH shift tower needs to be swapped. I installed the EUH 5th gear in the EGR. No problems with cruise control after the swap.

I swapped in an EUH and mate it to my ALH. I have difficulty with reverse, 3rd and 5 gear. I use an EGR shift tower with the EUH. Do you think that is why I have difficulty with my reverse, 3rd and 5th gear?

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Why do you need the EUH shift tower on the ALH engine? Are the shift towers different? I'm in the middle of a 5-speed swap on my ALH and I am using an EUH tranny. I did use the shift tower from the donor car, so either way I shouldn't have any issues, but just curious as to the differences. I was also told the speed sensor plug is the same on the EUH and ALH cars. (I haven't actually checked this yet)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
there's a lot of trans code/engine code dyslexia going on in this thread ... ANY mkiv tdi trans is interchangeable with any other mkiv tdi trans, however, if you use a DQY (pre y2k mkiv) in a y2k or later mkiv you need to swap the DQY's early 02A tower for the 02J tower ... just to be clear, ALH is NOT a trans code, it's the engine code, and that engine came with three different 02J trans codes: DQY (early with 02A tower), EBJ, EGR, ... late mkiv BEW PD engine code came with two different 02J transmissions: EUH (jetta/golf) and EGS (beetle) ....also not all 02J towers are created equal, aside from the obvious early 02A outlier, the early 02J style tower has a round lower shaft as opposed to the late style which has a double "D" grooved lower shaft ... they can also be freely interchanged but if using an early round shaft in a late D shaft trans you must replace the lower shaft support or remove the detent spring... the late D type shaft is 100% reverse compatible with all 02A/02J trannies