HPFP Failure HELP

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI

So my wife was driving her car out of town and it was driving just fine. On her way back to town the car went into LIMP mode and when she turned off the car, it would not turn back on. After the $600 tow job to get it back to town I started looking at it and found the dreaded metal shavings in the HPFP. Just 2 days ago VW sent me a letter that they extended the warranty for this car to 10/120,000. Problem is were at 157,000! So I hear this will cost me about $6000 - $7000 out of pocket to have a mechanic or the dealer fix.

So my question is, since I plan to fix this myself, what all needs to be replaced. I don't plan on replacing the fuel lines, just flushing and cleaning them out. Same with the injectors. (I figure if one fails down the road, I'll just replace that one) But other than the HPFP, which I can pick up a rebuilt one for around $600, and the fuel filter, what else should I be looking into replacing? Any help would be greatly helpful!

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I already called the dealer, they quoted me the $7000 and said that the whole fuel system needed to be replaced. I also called a local VW mechanic who said that the filter should stop nearly all metal from making it back to the tank and recommended that I only replace the injectors if one fails because of it. He also said that I should be able to flush the lines. I also called VW warranty center and they refused to cover it.

I'm just here to see if there is anything that I am missing.

The plan is to replace the HPFP, and possibly the AUX fuel pump if I cannot flush it. Clean all fuel lines in the engine compartment with solvent and compressed air. Clean the injectors and fuel rail. And replace the fuel filter. This is assuming that no metal has made it to the tank. If it has, then replace the fuel pump and sweep the tank with a very strong magnet, or flush it if that dose not work.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101297389333502878434/posts/WwTSZ1Qxm5U?pid=6166181282749244866&oid=101297389333502878434

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You can try flushing, but VW has tried that as well with no success. A story or two here about them doing exactly this with another recurring failure or two when they didn't replace everything. I would be tempted to talk to a lawyer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would try some of our vendors here as well as some online dealers such as:

http://www.1stvwparts.com/

A parts list from another thread with prices:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3610426&postcount=5

The normal fuel filter will not stop the bad hpfp from contaminating the tank or the injectors. 2micron has two kits out there for limiting the carnage to just the filter and hpfp. If you fix this you may want to invest in one of his kits.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=375803

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
And, I'm not sure why they would have such a hard time flushing the shavings from the lines. It is done all the time in machining. Another question is, can I just replace all of the rubber lines under the hood with standard rubber fuel lines?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You're about 50 miles from Jason Daniels in Oregon WI. He is one of the best TDI mechanics anywhere and can figure out what you do or don't need to effectively complete this repair. The HPFP is not inexpensive, but I'm betting you can get this done for far less than $7K. He's JasonTDI here.

Last edited:

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
Open a case with the NHTSA. Call VWoA with that number and open a VW case. Complain that they had been covering this repair at that mileage. Try something vs taking the word of 1 dealer. Don't just accept this without a little effort.

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well I contacted my local dealer to get an estimate for the repair. I also contacted a local VW mechanic to get a second opinion (which was the same as VW's). I also contacted the VW Warranty center and opened a case complaining about them not covering my vehicle, as well as the VW USA Facebook page.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You're about 50 miles from Jason Daniels in Oregon WI. He is one of the best TDI mechanics anywhere and can figure out what you do or don't need to effectively complete this repair. The HPFP is not inexpensive, but I'm betting you can get this done for far less than $7K. He's JasonTDI here.
^^This. Going to the dealer is a waste of time.

I suspect that you can simply change the HPFP, injectors, and flush everything else out. The tank really doesn't matter because the fuel filter should capture most of it.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
With that letter, everyone with a CR is literally screwed. Dig deep folks, and all you naysayers that say its not a problem should buck up and help these poor souls because your head's are buried deep in the sand. That letter they sent out is basically telling you HAHA, we just passed the buck.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My guess is that the "extended warranty" more defines the point at which VW is washing it's hands of the problem rather than really extending anything.
I have 240,000 on one of mine equipped with the 2 Micron filters and I will soon be adding the same to my 2013 JSW as well.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
^^This. Going to the dealer is a waste of time.
I disagree and think it is worth raising a stink. I read of out of warranty cars covered or VWoA covering a %, though I think these were pre extended hpfp warranty and before NHTSA closed its case. Might need to get the car to a dealer for official diagnosis before they take you seriously. I would also sample the fuel and document where it was last fueled.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I disagree and think it is worth raising a stink. I read of out of warranty cars covered or VWoA covering a %, though I think these were pre extended hpfp warranty and before NHTSA closed its case. Might need to get the car to a dealer for official diagnosis before they take you seriously. I would also sample the fuel and document where it was last fueled.

You can stink all you want, it won't do anything, they've released the letter, it puts them off the hook, now any CR owner is up crap creek without a paddle.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. That doesn't mean it is true though. It is worth trying another dealer for a repair of this size. Sometimes the squeaky wheel does get the grease. If it fails all that is lost is some time and effort.

Steer clear of any parts from this guy:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500&highlight=prothe
Very true but that letter now gives dealers the ok to say piss off, sadly.

If you are a repeat customer, buy lots of cars and get your service work done, you might be ok. I hope I am wrong but I've been at the dealer and letters like this are a gold mine for dealers. :(

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Everyone's experience at the dealer is different. A talk with a lawyer with the NHTSA data may also produce some results, albeit probably confidential.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
So how long should VW warranty a system with a 1% failure rate? Before VW offered a specific warranty, many posters were complaining that there "was nothing in writing" about fixing failed pumps. Now there is.

I still have four years and 50K miles left before the warranty expires on my HPFP.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My personal opinion (not worth anything) is that under normal circumstances that would be enough. But since it is a known bad issue and the percentage is low and has been known to happen at low mileage as well as high mileage cars, I think at least to the original owner 250k miles replacement of everything required to bring it back to working condition again, prorated. That should serve most who originally bought the car for economy and reliability. In this instance VW would cover half or so and they have an incentive to do it as cost efficient as possible. They won't save any money if they have to do it twice. There should be fewer and fewer demands for this as the cars naturally are taken off the road for other issues. I would feel different if it weren't such a financial fiasco to repair. I have about the same through GEICI and MBI coverage. Fortunately the Passat seem to suffer less from this.

Last edited:

Foxfan

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
At least the letter can be used against VW as they are essentially admitting responsibility for the design flaw. Even out of warranty, a small claims judge could rule that it was a known design flaw and order that they pay for repairs (if they even show up... they may just not fight out of fear of setting a precedent).

Québec has a "garantie légale" where appliance makers have been forced to cover repairs long out of warranty based on the assumption that a durable good hasn't lasted for a "reasonable duration under normal use". It's intentionally very broad in its definition.

Some other states/provinces may have similar consumer protection laws.

With that said, I'm still hoping to get my letter for my Canadian 2012 Golf TDI just for comfort. As for the duration, although I can imagine being upset if in 2022 my HPFP blows even though the rest of my car is physically in great condition, I still came out ahead of leasing a car (each four years with a 40,000 to 50,000 allowance costs you roughly 60% of a new car's value). After 7 years and 80,000 or so you come out ahead, and the rest is gravy. I am still hoping to beat my dad's record of 540,000km (over 335,000 miles) with a Golf MKII. :D

jpx

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Add me to the list of failures - HPFP etc...... 2012 Golf TDI, only 22,000 miles and well maintained in Massachusetts. Stranded on a trip to Vermont. Filled up half tank, travelled +- 120 miles with no problems. Sudden limp mode at stop light.

Towed to VW dealer. They claim bad fuel did it. Showed me a sample they extracted which looked pretty lousy. +-$6000. Insurance will pay, but of course I have $500 deductible, and likely to have higher premiums later for claim? So, if this is also (or really is) a design flaw, I'd prefer VW to pay all if this is considered "powertrain". Just over the 3 year basic.

Any thoughts from experts?

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
If there is gas in the fuel why aren't you going back to the station from which you made the purchase? They should be responsible.