Would you buy this fan assy?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
It does not say where it was manufactured. Do you think that is intentional? Might be OK to put in a car right before you sell it just to say that the A/C works.

Don't know....they are not that hard to get in and out of the car so it might be worth the risk.

Tell us how it goes.

JETaah

TDI
Just noticed....
In New Mexico, you are no doubt gonna be working those fans pretty hard.

Revpeach

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I bought a rad fan assembly off ebay from justperformance. It was an exact fit and has worked flawlessly for the last 4k miles. (I had to replace my fan on my 2012 Jetta when an air intake elbow fell into the fan and screwed the controller located in the driver's side fan housing.)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, since you are so enthusiastic :p

My wife was sitting in our 2004 Passat TDI in a parking lot a couple months ago, and the tractor trailer she was behind decided to back up... he bumped the front of the car, and it needed to be repaired.

Since the guy gave her false information and my wife is FAR too trusting (I would have had the police there... and it would have been for the truck driver's own protection as I probably would have beaten the crap out of him.. but I digress...). So he skated, and the repair was on my dime.

I took the bumper cover off, had our body shop smooth out the minor crease in it, and they refinished it. The lock carrier was cracked, as was the upper intercooler tank where it has the two little mounting tabs, along with the left headlamp assembly lower mount.

Ordered a new lock carrier, from Volkswagen, which is not too terribly priced. Was able to get a new genuine Hella headlamp assembly through Worldpac, again not too bad. But Worldpac had no intercooler, which is made by Modine, even though they can always get other TDIs' intercoolers that are made by Valeo. And they are always MUCH less than the dealer.

I was having a moment of cheapness, which I should have gotten over, and decided to see what I could find on the intarwebs for BHW intercoolers. Found one for $80, delivered, on eBay, which is much less than an OEM one from Volkswagen at $320 my cost.

When I got it, it had no name on it, but *looked* OK, and looked correct. However, the little bales it came with were not the same, and the charge air tubes would not snap in place, and the car quickly blew them both off as soon as I tried to drive the car. :rolleyes:

Luckily, I was able to take the old bales off of the old original intercooler, and put them on the eBay one, and the tubes snapped in place properly. No big deal, I thought. For the amount of money I saved, it was OK.

The car did not even make it 10k miles. This past weekend, on the way to a conference in Washington DC for Lowe's Syndrome (my boys have this) the Chinabay intercooler decided that it had had enough, and went I went to pass someone (I was doing about 80), it completely blew the bottom tank clean off of the core. The little seal was hanging out the bottom of my splash shield. :eek:

I limped it a few more miles, and on the border of Indiana and Ohio, I rented a Uhaul truck and tow dolly, since I knew there was no way this car was going to make it through the mountains with no functional air charging.

Towed the car to DC, where I left it (and the truck) at Case de Compudub, and Lawson was nice enough to give my wife and I a lift to the hotel.

Jason tried to order a new one from a local dealer, and despite the nearly $100 extra price gouging, they could not get one to me until Tuesday (and we inquired about this on Thursday). So, after the conference, Jason and I took the bumper cover loose, and zip tied as best we could the intercooler back together, hooked it back behind the truck, towed it back to where we got it from (across the mountains), and I limped the car the rest of the way back home.

So, the $80 intercooler ended up costing me an additional $720 for truck/dolly rental, a pile of gas money to feed the 2015 GMC Sierra (although it did get 15 MPGs.... not too bad considering how fast I was going, mountains, and two tons of sick Volkswagen and tow dolly hanging off its ass the whole time).

Incidentally, I ordered the part from my local dealer on Tuesday (yesterday) and it is already in my hands. :rolleyes:

So, I broke my #1 rule of not being cheap.... and I got stung. :cool:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Brian, sorry to hear about your misadventure. Thanx, for sharing. I admit, that I have purchased some used, genuine VW parts from ebay and got lucky. I look for pics with a VW part number as well as the manufacturer's logo.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Try car-part .com for a used fan assembly there very reasonable priced if you can find one close to you

Just checked they run about $50 plus shipping if there's none local

Last edited:

Darkhrse99

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Car-parts was the way to go, found two fans and a shroud for 60.00 shipped !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
eBay is the place of overpriced junk anymore .
I ordered a lift pump only to receive a Chinese made gas model one

JETaah

TDI
Great! How many miles on them?
I guess I should have put :rolleyes: after my comment.

I guess you could do good on a buy from Car-Part, it would all depend on if the fans were the originals and what part of the country they came from. If they came from the southwest, then they are usually well used on a daily basis and if they came from an A4 then they could be 9-10 years or more old already.

Might be good and inexpensive thing to do if you are fixing the car to sell.

The original OEM VW fans are not the most robust either. The fact is that when the brushes hang up in the holders it trashes them....its fixable for a while if you want to go after it. I don't know....may be the new ones are better than they used to be.

Anyway....I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I hope they last a long time and I am wrong about this.

Aquaticmind

Veteran Member
Wheeling, WV via Athens Georgia via, Bainbridge Is
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The advice I got awhile back about VW fans is it doesn't much matter where you get them from, that all suck. The last set I got from ebay or amazon, lasted about 90K and cost about $85 for both. One just died, $50 replacement cost and 30 minutes of labor in the garage. Hopefully this one lasts another 90K.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
So, I broke my #1 rule of not being cheap.... and I got stung. :cool:
I've been around TDI's for 10 years, and I feel like I should know better, but I bought a turbo from BLAAST Performance,
(To avoid having to buy a VNT-17 adapter) and it lasted about 500 miles.
The seller refused to refund my money, and I filed a PayPal claim, and LOST.
My frugality cost me somewhere around $1200 additional dollars, and the seller refuses to answer my e mails.
The VNT-17 that I replaced that piece of junk with is working just fine. Live, 'n learn. ...Didn't mean to hijack your thread......