Disable the shift selector lock on Auto TDIs

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
Well, I finally did this, I've been tired of that whole "put-yer-foot-on-the-brake-to-shift - cuz-yer-too-stupid-to-shift-while-stopped" functions. Also I got tired of that "thunk" sound every time the thing activated. Here's the simple procedure for an Auto Jetta, I imagine the other autos should be very similar. Remove the ashtray and pull the screw under it. Push toward the front of the car, unlatch the ashtray / lighter box and pull it out. You don't need to undo the cable, just set it aside. Reach into the hole, feeling for 3 small wires on the passenger side of the selector, right by the front. They go into a small inline harness, oriented vertically. Nothing to pull/push to unlock the harness, just pull it out. That's it! The lock is now disabled, and the car doesn't know anything different!

--Jim

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
Originally posted by Geordi 01JetTDI:
The lock is now disabled, and the car doesn't know anything different!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No codes, no CEL, nothing? excellent!

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't appear to be any codes or idiot light, but I will confirm tomorrow when I finally clear the glow plug code that has been bugging me for several days. I'm going to unplug and re-plug the harness and see if that cures that one. The MIL has been on for about 1 week now, I'm actively ignoring it.

--Jim

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Read your post with much interest, and immediately went out to the garage and attempted to follow suit.

I pushed , pulled, and messed up my hands for over an hour, and couldn't get the plug to unplug.

I really wanted to do away with that very annoying 'feature.' I like to sit at traffic lights with my 2002 Jetta Wagon in neutral, and when the light is starting to change, move the lever to 'Drive.' But by then, the car may have started to roll a little, and I must apply the brakes, stopping the car and risking the idiot behind me rear-ending me just to be able to move the stupid lever out of neutral, all because of that dumb design.

Is it the only plug available with three wires?

What would happen if I simply cut one or more of those wires?

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I did it the "hard" way, I removed the entire forward section of the console. Not an easy prospect. Your column should be the same as mine, but possibly the size / position of the hole is preventing you. The process for removing the entire console is not mentally hard, but it is difficult to re-position the console after you finish.

There are a total of 5 screws, all Torx. You are already looking at one of them, under the ashtray box. Pull that one, then pull the 2 behind the small slugs on either side right by the seat, and the 2 on the forward end on either side. Lift upwards and pull backwards. Once the console is loose, pull upwards on that small strip of metal in the ashtray box, from the passenger side. It snaps out and hinges upwards. Now the unit will pass over the selector without scratching it. If you haven't already, push down on the chrome below the selector handle to unlock it, and pull upwards on the handle to remove it. Remove the console.

Now you should be able to see the wires. Installation is the reverse of removal.

--Jim

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Thanks Jim for the step by step procedure. When I have the car here again for a while, I'll try again, and see if I can do it this time. She's gone with it now, or I'd give it a try.

There is no way to simply reach down there with some wire cutters and cut one or more of those wires? What are the color codes of those three wires involved?

I discovered something by accident today while driving in some of the worst traffic I've seen here on a Saturday. If you have it in neutral, and you release the brake, and it starts to roll because it is slightly downhill, after you reach a certain speed of about 5 mph, that little light in the dash that asks for you to step on the brake petal before moving the shift lever will go out, and the interlock will make the telltale sound of 'unlocking' and the lever can now be moved to drive without hitting the brake petal.

Geordi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I know about the speed link on there, it's actually 3mph. (Who decided on 3???)

As to cutting the wires, I wouldn't. If only for the possibility that there IS a code eventually thrown, you can undo the mod back to factory. Also a stealer might get the bright idea to "fix" it, and do unpleasant things with your warranty for modifying a "safety" system. What danger it prevents, I don't know. That entire concept just seems like engineering daydreaming to me. "Let me see now, where else can I put an electric device to earn me another 'innovative thinker' award?"

I don't know WHY they would create something like this, but at least it can be killed easily enough. The harness you are looking for is small and rectangular, like a computer USB plug, only not as thick. 3 wires, no idea on the colors.

I knew I should have taken some pics of this fix. Dang.

Oh well, good luck and let me know how it goes.
btw: Why are you letting someone else drive your TDI baby? Do they know how to treat it properly?

--Jim

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
You are aware that your causing alot more wear on your transmission by going from N-D at traffic lights than simply leaving it in D and using the parking brake?

It can idle in D all day long without hurting a thing, but switching from N to D will cause a little wear every time...

I'm not saying this mod isnt bad, I hate those shift locks. and I also dont know how to measure the wear of going into drive, but its certainly more than leaving it in drive.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by Geordi 01JetTDI:

I don't know WHY they would create something like this, but at least it can be killed easily enough. The harness you are looking for is small and rectangular, like a computer USB plug, only not as thick. 3 wires, no idea on the colors.

I knew I should have taken some pics of this fix. Dang.

btw: Why are you letting someone else drive your TDI baby? Do they know how to treat it properly?

--Jim
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

This idea goes back to the days of the Audi 5000 and their unintended sudden acceleration where many were hurt, and beaucoup sheet metal damaged.

The Jetta is in good hands with the wife who knows how to handle it, but is recently complaining about how she'll look down at the speedometer, not realizing that she is speeding, and discover that she is doing over 80 mph. What seems funny to me is that we've had many fine and much more powerful cars including the S/C 383 Impala SS, S-80 T6, 750iL, S/C GTP, and she has never complained before about speeding and not knowing it.

When I attemped the disconnect, I found that there were two plugs. One that had only two wires which I could unplug with no problem, but the one that I think needs to be disconnected has three wires, and I cannot undo it. Guess I'll have to take it all apart as you did to be able to accomplish the task.

flair.14 - I know better than to coast with any automatic, but thanks for the tip.

Zona

TDI
2011 Golf TDi sedan
I can't find any newer threads dealing with this.
Has anyone disabled the lock on their MK VI Golf with DSG trans.?
Thanks

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
I would absolutely NOT do this to a DSG equipped car. Don't want to give VW any out if your $5k tranny ****s the bed.

Edit: And holy thread necro batman...