New Plug on Frostheater

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
My frostheater plug fell down on the road and got chewed up pretty bad so I am wanting to put a new plug on it I got a plug from home depot and cut the old one off and then made the connections there is one green wire which i assum is the ground because it says so.. SO on the plug it goes on the left of the prod? I have had the car plugged in but it doesnt seem to be working..

By no means am I an electrician so if I am doing something wrong please don't hold back

Cheers

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
If you got the ground right, then the heater should work if everthing else is ok. If you didn't get the ground wire right, then you wouldn't be typing this post, or at least, you would be mentioning the dazzling electrical light show you saw.

I think the your whole cord has been damaged. You should check it for resistance with a multimeter. If it is showing high or infinite resistance, then you should replace the whole cord. If you are desperate, you can keep cutting six inches off until you find the cord passes current again. However, if you choose this route, I can almost guarrentee that you will have similar problems in the future.

If you choose to put in a new plug, make sure that you have the hot wire connected to the host side of the plug. Otherwise, you could get a shock if you touch the heater (or the car) and your feet are grounded.

Jack

Last edited:

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
Black wire is always the hot wire and belongs on the darker shaded(usually brass) and/or smaller blade. White will be neutral and goes on the lighter shaded(tinned or nickel) and/ or larger blade. Green wire is ground and should go on green center(rounded) blade. This is the conventional coloring unless your wires are brown, blue and green in which case brown is hot and blue is neutral.
I'll be putting a Hubbell part # HBL61CM64BK as seen here http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/MarineStraightBlade.htm
on mine as soon as I get around to ordering one. Any electrical supply house will be able to get one for you.

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
When I put the test lamp to it; 2 out of the 3 wires are getting power.. but the car has been plugged in overnight now and there is no change.

bagdwag

Banned
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
Black wire is always the hot wire and belongs on the darker shaded(usually brass) and/or smaller blade. White will be neutral and goes on the lighter shaded(tinned or nickel) and/ or larger blade. Green wire is ground and should go on green center(rounded) blade. This is the conventional coloring unless your wires are brown, blue and green in which case brown is hot and blue is neutral.
I'll be putting a Hubbell part # HBL61CM64BK as seen here http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/htm/MarineStraightBlade.htm
on mine as soon as I get around to ordering one. Any electrical supply house will be able to get one for you.
I went out and switched the connections as what you had written down and I had no electical show or anything. I did have the green wire on a prong instead of the long rounded connecion.. I plugged it back in and we will see if that changes anything.. if there is any futher advice tha would be great but for now thank you

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
I would do this! :D

Is anyone else having problems with the lid staying closed on their outlet? I've had to wrap a rubber band around the cap (to simulate a larger o-ring) and it gives the cap a snug fit. Otherwise the cap pops off and hangs open after about a year.

werewolf

Veteran Member
TDI
03 New Beetle TDI Jetta,03 & 04 TDI, Golf 04 TDI
I would do this! :D

Is anyone else having problems with the lid staying closed on their outlet? I've had to wrap a rubber band around the cap (to simulate a larger o-ring) and it gives the cap a snug fit. Otherwise the cap pops off and hangs open after about a year.
I just took a heat gun to the inside flange and while hot, worked the flange outward to give it a tight fit!

dmcchesney

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Awesome Thanks.. Has there been any writeups on this install... Thanks
The instal is very straight forward,
drill a 1 3/4" hole (i'm not 100% sure on the size but i think that is what i used)
connect the wires
Slide the rubber piece over it
screw the nut tight
screw in all 3 screws