Help- Remote key locks don't work?

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
Help- Remote key locks don\'t work?

Has anyone had their remote key lock stop working?
I can NOT lock or unlock the car with the remote key.
I CAN lock / unlock manually with the key.

I have a 99.5 Golf. I've never see anything on this type failure on Fred's before and searched too.

I've changed out the batteries in the key, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I only have the one remote key (other one lost years ago)so don't have a back up to know if it is the remote or the car.

Hope one of you can help or have some clues I'm missing.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

Hey,

We must be lucky...My remote had lost considerable range so I too changed the batteries...I can drive the car, ie lock/unlock with the key but not the remote...this is pissing me off...any help if you figure yours out would be great.

Thanks

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI

Same problem as myself...so someone must know how to help.

Anyone else had this problem and know the fix?

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI

slave2school-
I see you have a 99.5 auto also.

Do you still have a back up remote key that you can try. If you have the same problem with the back up key it seems we can cross off the key as the problem.

Wonder if Vag could find specific code?

It has been my experence that things on these cars follow a pattern of faults/failures on time and or mileage timelines...MAF.,109 RELAYS, WINDOW REGULATORS, ETC.
(I was one of the first with the 109 relay issue that was solved on this forum, not the dealership visits)

I'm wondering if others may be about to or have starting to have this problem.

Hope this is a one off and doesn't turn out to be a mass problem, but if so hopefully we can address and fix through our friends here on Fred's.

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum

How do you change the batteries in the remotes? For mine to work I have to be nearly holding the door handle. Maybe a new battery would allow me to be 2 feet away.
I have a 99.5 Jetta.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI

I DON'T HAVE THE KEY RIGHT NOW, BUT SEEM TO RECALL HAVING TO PRY OFF ONE SIDE OF THE KEY WITH VERY SMALL JEWELERS SCREWDRIVER SO NOT TO DAMAGE THE KEY.

THERE ARE TWO ROUND FLAT BATTERIES. I REPLACED BOTH, BUT DIDN'T FIX MY PROBLEM. REPLACED AT RADIO SHACK AND TESTED BOTH BATTERIES. ONE WAS VERY LOW OTHER JUST AVERAGE.

DO YOU HAVE OR TRIED YOUR BACK UP REMOTE KEY?

scotthershall

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd

Maybe after the batteries are changed it needs to be reprogramed as described in the owners manual. But that doesn't make sense because I thought you were programming the car to recognize that specific remote, not the other way around. So unless the signal from the remote changed it shouldn't need to be reprogrammed.

Just a thought. It might be worth trying to reprogram anyway.

Good luck,

Scott

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

Not being good at geography, how far away is Gig Harbor from Bremerton?

I ask because there was a report in the paper over the weekend about a rash of people across the country who are reporting failures in their keyless remotes. Bremerton was one of the cities.

Seems the common thing to all these places is the close approximation of a military or other government/defense facility. Turns out that these facilities use radio frequencies that are identical to the ones used by keyless remotes used in cars. The theory is that their transmissions (at high power) are causing the receivers in the cars to fry or scramble.

Around here, it's been reported in Waldorf Maryland which is just a bit south of Andrews AFB.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI

Reprograming is an idea, but like you say doesn't seem to make sense. I'll try that.

On the Area 51 lead, Gig Harbor is about 30 miles south from Brementon, but haven't been up in that area for months...and no one from around here has reported same problems. Thanks

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

Well at least we aren't the only ones.

I got two "Panasonic 1620" (I think)for it, and you do have to pry one side off...then that part pulls into two parts and voila!
Yes, the spare works, so I think that it is just that particular key, thankfully...I'll likely breakdown and talk to my dealer soon...this sorta thing really gets to me.

Thanks for any and all info

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI

Slave2school-
Thanks for the info on your backup key working.

I'll work on my key...may need to replace just the key.

Thanks....
Hope that's it

Will report back ASAP. Damm I hate to have to go to a dealer!