Transmission Fluid level on 04 TDI Passat

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
OK...I'm stumped on with a newbie question. How does one check the transmission fluid levels on the TDI 2.0L TDI????

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it may require a VAGCOM type of tool. Does the Owner's Manual indicate you can check it?

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
My 2004 TDI Passat is two weeks "young". The car was manufactured in February 2004. The only reference to the engine are a couple of insert pages giving some specs. No details on how to check transmission fluids nor where to begin to do that. Guess they want us to leave it to the dealer?...Thanks for responding...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You can't check it easily. There is no dipstick. Just like the automatic transmissions they've used on the ALH engine before North America got the PD with Tiptronic transmission, it is "sealed for life".

There is a cap over the fill plug, and you can only check the level by removing a plug in the drain, with the fluid at less than 30C (you'll need a computer interface to determine that), then raise the temperature to between 35 and 45 C. If fluid does not drip out when it gets up to temperature, then it needs fluid. If it does drip out, then it doesn't.

So if you're not experiencing problems, leave it alone.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
[ QUOTE ]
OK...I'm stumped on with a newbie question. How does one check the transmission fluid levels on the TDI 2.0L TDI????

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't.

It requires a VAGCOM to make sure that the fluid is a the right temperature, then pulling the speed sensor to see if the end is wet.

It's one of those wonderful 'lifetime' fluids. Or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.