need help 05 passat tdi transmission shot

chandlerz32

TDI
2005 Passat
Bought an 05 Passat tdi with 116k miles from the Osteen stealership here in Jacksonville, FL. 2 months later they want me to spend over $4k for a new transmission. Car went into limp mode and pulled codes p0811 excessive clutch slippage and p0743 4th gear incorrect ratio. The service manager told me there is no remans or used transmissions available and that I would have to by a new one. Does this sound right? Do I have any options here? I talked to transmission shop and they think it is an electrical issue and not internal. If it has become a common problem recently, should vw look into the cause?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
you bought the car as-is? no 90 day warranty of any type?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Oh no, not another one!:eek:

Check the transmission control module under the passenger side carpet (which is inside a black housing) for water intrusion. If the sunroof drains and battery area drain plug up, water backs up and enters the cabin via the cabin filter housing.

If the TCM has corroded wiring or PC board sludge, it could be the unit. It's easy to peel back the carpet after you take the kick panel off.

chandlerz32

TDI
2005 Passat
Bought the car as-is, I asked for a warranty but they reasured me over and over that I was getting a good car, that it will last, and there techs did an inspection. Cars been in service for almost 2 weeks. I will mention to them about checking the tcm for water damage. They dont want to help me out any b/c they claim they didnt make any money off the deal b/c they sold it to me for the wrong price. They have been trying to find me a used trans so I dont have to pay as much. BS

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Bought the car as-is, I asked for a warranty but they reasured me over and over that I was getting a good car, that it will last, and there techs did an inspection. Cars been in service for almost 2 weeks. I will mention to them about checking the tcm for water damage. They dont want to help me out any b/c they claim they didnt make any money off the deal b/c they sold it to me for the wrong price. They have been trying to find me a used trans so I dont have to pay as much. BS
a fly on the wall would have laughed so hard until it barfed........
So the "used car salesman" reputation lives on.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
there are re manufactured transmissions available. a used transmission may not be best option. labor is expensive, so you might want a trans with a good warranty

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The service manager told me there is no remans or used transmissions available and that I would have to by a new one. Does this sound right?
No, they are pulling your leg. They sound dishonest. I have priced reman units by VW at three dealerships (one in Florida) and they are readily available. Average price was $2850.

chandlerz32

TDI
2005 Passat
I called another VW dealership and they quoted me $3100 for a reman trans and they can get it in 2-3 days. Is labor really going to be around $1000 for R&R? How many hours does the book time call for? I wish VW could look into this problem and find the cause and put out a TSB.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I called another VW dealership and they quoted me $3100 for a reman trans and they can get it in 2-3 days. Is labor really going to be around $1000 for R&R? How many hours does the book time call for? I wish VW could look into this problem and find the cause and put out a TSB.
Are you anywhere near Gunther VW? They give a generous parts discount to Fred's Club members. EDIT (I see you are not)

Book time (shop) on the R&R of the trans and TC is 6.5 hours according to a previous post.

Tony

Last edited:

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
car-part.com look for the remaned if you need help or tranny installed let me know there are much better places than the dealer in jax i live on 103rd

alvajaalni

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon GL TDI, 202K, United Gray/Gray Leatherette
Just bought an 05 wagon myself with 168K miles. Transmission went up just under a 1000 miles later and I don't have a warranty (got it form a family member). Car drives like a dream and is VERY clean, but I'm contemplating the >$4K I'm being quoted for installing a VW reman unit. :(

chandlerz32

TDI
2005 Passat
Well it has been almost 3 weeks and they still have my car and have done nothing to it. They said they could not find me a used trans. I told them the other vw dealership quoted me a cheaper price than their so called discounted price. Also told them to look into the water leak issues and to see if their were any history of transmission work done to it since they claimed it was always serviced at a vw dealership. I've been calm and patient with these guys and I am about to lose it. They seemed to have been blowing me off.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
think its time to get your car out of there. get a trans put in somewhere else and sue those people. dealers lose more often than win in small claims court. you have had a lot more patience than I, as I would have gotten it out of there a long time ago, once I knew I'd been screwed.

alvajaalni

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon GL TDI, 202K, United Gray/Gray Leatherette
Looking forward to getting my car back tomorrow afther the transmission replacement. Hoping I'll be able to put some miles on it now before any more major issues.