Oil Filter Cap / filter problem? Wont screw, feels like filter too tall?

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Having troubles changing my oil filter, its an stp ive changed these a handful of times, but it just wont fit right, like it won't push all the way down, ive tried both sides multiple times. pretty sure I broke the filter i was really frustrated with it. PLEASE HELP

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Okay, you know that rod that extends down from the cap, through the oil filter, and has a small o-ring near the end?

There is kind of a step in it near the cap so you have to force the filter on with a little bit of force.

You probably don't have the filter shoved far enough up the rod and into the cap.

If it simply won't go, something must be wrong, like the filter is the wrong type, or was poorly manufactured.

Last edited:

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
I have had 2 filters (Mahle or Mann) that were marked "Top" on the bottom of the filter. Kinda screwed with my brain until I gave in and put it in with the "Top" on the bottom, then it worked perfectly.

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Okay, you know that rod that extends down from the cap, through the oil filter, and has a small o-ring near the end?

There is kind of a step in it near the cap so you have to force the filter on with a little bit of force.

You probably don't have the filter shoved far enough up the rod and into the cap.

If it simply won't go, something must be wrong, like the filter is the wrong type, or was poorly manufactured.

This^^

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
Ok, Yeah ive done several, flipped it 10 times, checked the part number, checked the box and actual part number. Turns out it had a manufacture defect. Got a Wix and worked perfectly.
Thank You guys for the response!
Seemed that both sides had the same depth for the...collar? anyway they refunded,
No more stp I dont think, they seemed like a really good filter though....any thoughts?