PRNDS flashing, Limp mode, code 19143 need help

redhead

TDI
2006.5 jetta TDI
Transmission Code 19143 (PRNDS flash)

We purchased a 2006.5 VW Jetta TDI Speciual Edition 3 years ago with 75,000 miles on it. The transmission had been replaced under warranty at 40,000 miles. We are now at 105,000 miles. We are getting the PRNDS flash occasionally when stopped, then the car is stuck in low gear until we turn the engine off and restart - then runs fine.

Transmission fluid replaced at 83,000 miles.
No check engine light on.
Fault code: P2015, 19143

Is there anything we can check prior to determining replacing mechatronic unit is the only answer. We have had wire chafing issues with this car. Can this possibly be a wiring problem too?

Last edited:

backfast61

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI automatic,2006 VW Jetta TDI 5 speed
I would check my grounds under the battery... just to check the basics. Do you have any history/record of the transmission being serviced at proper intervals? From what I have learned is that a neglected transmission kind of over time " bakes" the mechatronics. It is made out of some type of plastic... It is 15 years old.... I hope that you find the problem! The good thing is that 2006 Jetta TDI is really simple to replace the mechatronics..... the part itself is$$$ though.
My 2 cents worth.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 2.5L gas engine is bolted to the Aisin 6sp slushbox, and shares no parts at all with the OP's 6sp DSG.

OBD works.