Turbo not working

rusel

I have a 98 Jetta TDI with 98, 000 Last week my turbo quit. When I start it up the engine revs real high (2200) an then dies down. I have had this befoe, but it usually starts waorking after about 500mile. This time it did not . Anyone had that problem before?

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
Why would you run 500 miles without your turbo 'working'?

Did you want help diagnosing it?

ecraman

I do not know how to tell if the turbo is working or not, but the symptoms sound like the fuel cutoff valve problem which I and others have had.

98 Jetta TDI - 40K

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
If you have a 100k mile drivetrain warranty, why not let the dealer have a shot at it?

The turbine either spins or it doesn't. If it ain't spinning, you'll have a blockage in the exhaust, which will pretty much kill the motor.

So it's probably something else, like a valve that is stuck (worn out) or a sensor of some kind. The TDI computer has diagnostics that might tell a mechanic what to check. No big deal.

Strack

Veteran Member
Turbo units in older VW diesles have been very very reliable. I've spoken to two owners who both have had over 160K miles on their origional Diesel Quantum turbo units. There may be more life left in yours, better check it out..

Jimmy

Veteran Member
If the motor runs, and you notice a loss of power, and especially take note of the reving to to 2000 rpm on startup....

You may have the "blocked" fuel cut-off valve problem. This was listed on the Vortex site before armageddon (they lost the server, or the funds to keep it going). Apparently there is an "O" ring that can come out of placeand block the fuel flow in the injection pump. It is a very simple (but delicate) job to fix.

M

mickey

Classic case of o-ring-itis. Your turbo is just fine! (Breathe a sigh of relief.)

The fuel shutoff valve is located on top of the fuel injector pump. There is a black electrical wire connected to it. Remove the wire, then unscrew the valve with a suitable wrench. There should be a rubber o-ring on the end of the valve. (If not...well, there's your problem!) These o-rings gradually swell over time from contact with the fuel, and sometimes become displaced. If the o-ring appears to be undamaged, simply replace it in it's "slot" and re-install the valve. This should cure the problem. If it's damaged, you'll have to replace it. It shouldn't cost more than a few cents.

-mickey